Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steel Body structure

GT63

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
So I was playing around on BING, the new search engine from Micorsoft and came across this photo.

frame%20showing%20side%20intrusion%20wrinkle%20installed%20cowl%20channel%20.jpg

They are made in New Zealand. I am not sure if they are still being made or not. They had a web site but I am not sure what happened to it.
New Zealand and Australia have to have fully steal frame work that is inspected once installed before anymore is done.
This is a picture of mine. We usaly just make them ourselves.

Attachments

• DSC04529.JPG
    DSC04529.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
Are you allowed to put in a door?

They must think MAD MAX is gona be driving that one.

This looks like the New Zealand company Koopdeglass steel frame that they produce for their T Bucket bodies.It looks like the first steel frame they made to show customers how strong there bodies are. One can order the complete body with opening doors etc hinged and with catchers or just the bare fibre body.

They are made in New Zealand. I am not sure if they are still being made or not. They had a web site but I am not sure what happened to it.
New Zealand and Australia have to have fully steal frame work that is inspected once installed before anymore is done.
This is a picture of mine. We usaly just make them ourselves.
I assume you guys have motorcycles in New Zealand and Australia. Just find it kind of funny that you have to have a steel cage in a T Bucket but you can drive a motorcycle with no protection :hi:
What do you do with Corvettes?
Makes about as much sense as the motorcycle helmet laws in Florida, you can ride a bike without a helmet, but if the catch you driving your car without seat belts you get a big fat ticket and a tongue lashing from the cop :fidget:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh ... don't mention seatbelts on a bike!!!!!!!! Ya never know who's listening.

Ron

Who determines what constitutes a suitable steel structure?

Are there established plans to guide one in building the structure?

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the idea - lots of work, but yet these cars don't have any protection to speak of, the way we build them here.

Who determines what constitutes a suitable steel structure?

Are there established plans to guide one in building the structure?

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the idea - lots of work, but yet these cars don't have any protection to speak of, the way we build them here.

Whiplash,correct..This was the first cage for our regular bucket body,closely followed by our opening door body..The guys who got involved with this did a great job on the framework,it had to withstand about 1.8 tonnes of force,[as a crash simulation],with seat belt mounts included..Unfortunately,all the steelwork was laser cut and welded together,which proved costly,as it was labor intensive..Before I forget,fordsbyjay,those rear corners are hand shaped,in four pieces,and welded together..
We have a certification system here in New Zealand,which every modified vehicle has to be built to..There are certifiers who are schooled in the whole system,its a big can of worms which sorts the men from the rodders..but thats what its all about.If you want to look further into the certification side,google LVVTA and settle down for an hour or two with a cold one.As far as the steel framed buckets go,none were sold,because of the price..We still sell bare bodies and people frame them themselves.In saying that,we are developing other options ourselves,to keep it all in the one shop,as the people who WANTED to help have become uncommunicative.
As an after thought,Hotrodders are getting squeezed all over the place,we are naughty fuel guzzling critters,who dont give a fig for the environment..so I guess the government dont want us around..Anything they can do to make it harder to build a rod,they will do,but will they succeed??
Anyone who needs more info,just PM me,and I will do my best to help.
Robin.koop de glass..NZ.
Aussie T,I like your frame work..What is your tube wall thickness?

Whiplash,correct..This was the first cage for our regular bucket body,closely followed by our opening door body..The guys who got involved with this did a great job on the framework,it had to withstand about 1.8 tonnes of force,[as a crash simulation],with seat belt mounts included..Unfortunately,all the steelwork was laser cut and welded together,which proved costly,as it was labor intensive..Before I forget,fordsbyjay,those rear corners are hand shaped,in four pieces,and welded together..
We have a certification system here in New Zealand,which every modified vehicle has to be built to..There are certifiers who are schooled in the whole system,its a big can of worms which sorts the men from the rodders..but thats what its all about.If you want to look further into the certification side,google LVVTA and settle down for an hour or two with a cold one.As far as the steel framed buckets go,none were sold,because of the price..We still sell bare bodies and people frame them themselves.In saying that,we are developing other options ourselves,to keep it all in the one shop,as the people who WANTED to help have become uncommunicative.
As an after thought,Hotrodders are getting squeezed all over the place,we are naughty fuel guzzling critters,who dont give a fig for the environment..so I guess the government dont want us around..Anything they can do to make it harder to build a rod,they will do,but will they succeed??
Anyone who needs more info,just PM me,and I will do my best to help.
Robin.koop de glass..NZ.
Aussie T,I like your frame work..What is your tube wall thickness?
Hiya Lamin8r,Sorry to read that you havn't sold any of your framed out T bodies with opening doors yet. I had a good look at your product at Kumeru 2 years ago and liked what I saw,but as my bucket had just been on the road that summer,the idea of changing bodies for one of yours was out of financial reach.I believe my body was made in Christchurch in the early '80s and is different to yours. After one summer of use and having diffuculty getting my old body up and over into the bucket,with or without the roof on,I cut the doors off.Now I have looked at alot of buckets on this site,and I feel that the extra time involved to steel out a bucket is well worth it and the strength that is added to the bucket sure as hell makes me feel somewhat safer.And it doesn't add to much weight to the finished vehicle,that when you a 350 cu.in. chevy.I hope that some rodders in the U.S.take time to look at your web site.
Whiplash.

Hiya Lamin8r,Sorry to read that you havn't sold any of your framed out T bodies with opening doors yet. I had a good look at your product at Kumeru 2 years ago and liked what I saw,but as my bucket had just been on the road that summer,the idea of changing bodies for one of yours was out of financial reach.I believe my body was made in Christchurch in the early '80s and is different to yours. After one summer of use and having diffuculty getting my old body up and over into the bucket,with or without the roof on,I cut the doors off.Now I have looked at alot of buckets on this site,and I feel that the extra time involved to steel out a bucket is well worth it and the strength that is added to the bucket sure as hell makes me feel somewhat safer.And it doesn't add to much weight to the finished vehicle,that when you a 350 cu.in. chevy.I hope that some rodders in the U.S.take time to look at your web site.
Whiplash.
Whiplash,it was a bit disappointing,but I am not easily discouraged,as I believe that with a bit of perseverance it will work out.Yes,a steel frame is the best way to do the job..A lot of rehashing of various things will result in a new setup,with people I can trust...ME..so keep ya eyes on the site..
Lamin8r..

G,day lamin8r, I loved the bucket insert. We do not have guidlines as such to follow, here in victoria we have a TAC (advisory commitee) that assist with the construction. I have a great fella that has helped me, he signs off on the construction in stages then actually issues the reg plates.
The steel I used was a 3mm floor and firewall and 2mm tubing. All flat bar is 8mm. It's a little heavy but a stroked 351 cleveland should help with that.
My best mate lives in Invercargill so I have some links with NZ. I read Hot Rod New Zealand mag a lot. Some some reason the NZ scene suits me more than the Aussie scene.
Good luck with your projects.

Shawn.

G,day lamin8r, I loved the bucket insert. We do not have guidlines as such to follow, here in victoria we have a TAC (advisory commitee) that assist with the construction. I have a great fella that has helped me, he signs off on the construction in stages then actually issues the reg plates.
The steel I used was a 3mm floor and firewall and 2mm tubing. All flat bar is 8mm. It's a little heavy but a stroked 351 cleveland should help with that.
My best mate lives in Invercargill so I have some links with NZ. I read Hot Rod New Zealand mag a lot. Some some reason the NZ scene suits me more than the Aussie scene.
Good luck with your projects.

Shawn.
G,day,Shawn,,Sounds like your lot and our lot have been rubbing shoulders on the TAC thing..in fact it sounds almost identical to our setup..Your bucket sounds heavy,sounds like you could cruise thru bomb carrying Leb gangs in Sydney without gettin a scratch..yup,ya stroked Clevo should make it move okay though.Ya got some pix for us???Thanks for the nudge on the development work..By the time I finish at night,I dont really want to do much more,so I gotta cram as much development work on the bodies as I can during the day,but this year I want to give the T bucket development a good push,so I can get more options out there..If you read the NZHRM, have a lurk on their board too,I dont go on there as much as I used to,spend more time on another forum,[U.S]and trying to get more time on this one too..Catch ya later..Robin.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back