Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steer clear

Youngn

I am at the point now where i am trying to figure out some steering and pedal problems. I found this device called steerclear from speedway, i like the idea of it but the price is a little scary has anyone ever used this product and is there anything else out there that will help to fit size 13 shoes down to the pedals?????

Attachments

• brushsteerclearstandingcropped-105x2541.jpg
    brushsteerclearstandingcropped-105x2541.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 64
I have just enough room for my size 13's in here. there isn't any extra though.

Becky421001.jpg

I have just enough room for my size 13's in here. there isn't any extra though.

Becky421001.jpg

Hi
I ve seen that in their catalog. Not sure if its a chain drive but if it is I am very concerned about a chain in the steering system. Maybe its because I old fashioned but aything thats not a POSITIVE connection scares me.
Gerry

Here is your answer there is a roller CHAIN inside they say 1 1/2 degrees slop maximum. Wizard steer clear
It did win a SEMA award and they are pretty anal with these.

Here is your answer there is a roller CHAIN inside they say 1 1/2 degrees slop maximum. Wizard steer clear
It did win a SEMA award and they are pretty anal with these.

As much as i respect your views and experience (and I DO) there is NO way in hell I would run a chain in my steering system. FULL STOP
Gerry

As much as i respect your views and experience (and I DO) there is NO way in hell I would run a chain in my steering system. FULL STOP
Gerry

I wouldn't put one in mine either just don't like the chain either. And I have drove demolition derby.

so is there any other way to gain more foot room. what is the best pedal configuration, ie frame mount fire wall mount for both gas and brake?????

Gents, you've covered the subject well.

Let me add, some years ago I came across a federal motor vehichle stature that banned chain driven steering althought it was directed at the idea of using two steering wheels connected by a chain and sprocket arrangement to allow driving from either the left or right seat.

I doubt that reg has ever been enforced let alone even known among whatever f-ing batch of government doorknobs is chargerd with it's detail. Whoops, emoting here.

This device, as pointed out is nothing more than a couple of sprockets and a length of chain in housing - a housing suspected to be of aluminimum and befitting a rodder's vision of acceptance via polishing. What size and spec chain is it? I don't know. It might be bicycle chain or it could be NHRA Pro-Stock Bike stuff. To be apprehensive, my experience tells me Speedway isn't going to tell you very much in their catalog. They've built a very successful business on the number one rule of politcs and retail.. the masses are asses.

By the way, chains stretch. The more the mis-application of the chain and sprockets, the more the stretch. Do you see any chain idler or way to adjust for stretch? How is it lubricated? I didn't see any of my dire specaulations addressed when I saw this thing in S-way's Catalog....... a potentially clever little idea, lacking sufficient design forethought manifested in a fancy housing with little or no actual consideration for vehichle dynamics, suitabilty of purpose* or longevity.

* suitability of purpose equates to mission profile.... You've heard that one before.

Gents, you've covered the subject well.

Let me add, some years ago I came across a federal motor vehichle stature that banned chain driven steering althought it was directed at the idea of using two steering wheels connected by a chain and sprocket arrangement to allow driving from either the left or right seat.

I doubt that reg has ever been enforced let alone even known among whatever f-ing batch of government doorknobs is chargerd with it's detail. Whoops, emoting here.

This device, as pointed out is nothing more than a couple of sprockets and a length of chain in housing - a housing suspected to be of aluminimum and befitting a rodder's vision of acceptance via polishing. What size and spec chain is it? I don't know. It might be bicycle chain or it could be NHRA Pro-Stock Bike stuff. To be apprehensive, my experience tells me Speedway isn't going to tell you very much in their catalog. They've built a very successful business on the number one rule of politcs and retail.. the masses are asses.

By the way, chains stretch. The more the mis-application of the chain and sprockets, the more the stretch. Do you see any chain idler or way to adjust for stretch? How is it lubricated? I didn't see any of my dire specaulations addressed when I saw this thing in S-way's Catalog....... a potentially clever little idea, lacking sufficient design forethought manifested in a fancy housing with little or no actual consideration for vehichle dynamics, suitabilty of purpose* or longevity.

* suitability of purpose equates to mission profile.... You've heard that one before.

If you click on the wizard steer clear link in my earlier post there is more info on it. There is no adjustment for play but they say you will never have to.

I am at the point now where i am trying to figure out some steering and pedal problems. I found this device called steerclear from speedway, i like the idea of it but the price is a little scary has anyone ever used this product and is there anything else out there that will help to fit size 13 shoes down to the pedals?????

Here is a pic of some size 13's at speed its a little tight but not uncomfortable. Noting special just a column out the firewall to a Corvair box.

ColdSprings2010079.jpg

Well my friends, when my butt is in the bucket, I'm a thorough believer in techn. stuff, If it can't be adjusted or serviced...I ain't gonna trust it.
Now, that being said, what I did on mine...my feet are clumsey anyway. I wanted a more traditional steering wheel angle, ie, the wheel coming out of tthe very bottom of the dash typa look.

I have a metal bracket and pillar block bearing holding the steering shaft. Below the dash, about 6 inches below the dash, about 2 inches from firewall penetration, I have a small ujoint. From there, the angle increases, I go down further, at 8 inches, I have another ujoint. From there, I'm almost completely vertical.

My steering shaft penetrates the firewall about 16" to 18" above the floorboard. My slot, if-you-will, is covered by a custom cut piece of conveyor belt material cut to fit the steering shaft and the slot in the firewall, both inside and outside, held in place by 8 1/4-20 SS Allenhead capscrews. This way, I gained my comfortable footroom, plus I was able to come into my steering box and the wheel was centered to my driving position, and was straight. It didn't take that long to fab up, the ujoints are plenty strong, I broached a 5/16 keyway into the yokes, and milled 5/16 inch keyways onto the shafts. This in turn is locked in with allenhead polylock setscrews.

The floorboard in front of me only has a brakepedal and a gaspedal. A fella up in Dallas let me sit in his at a car show...and I couldn't get my feet in there with both the pedals and that steering shaft. Thats when I started designing the one for mine....

Well my friends, when my butt is in the bucket, I'm a thorough believer in techn. stuff, If it can't be adjusted or serviced...I ain't gonna trust it.
Now, that being said, what I did on mine...my feet are clumsey anyway. I wanted a more traditional steering wheel angle, ie, the wheel coming out of tthe very bottom of the dash typa look.

I have a metal bracket and pillar block bearing holding the steering shaft. Below the dash, about 6 inches below the dash, about 2 inches from firewall penetration, I have a small ujoint. From there, the angle increases, I go down further, at 8 inches, I have another ujoint. From there, I'm almost completely vertical.

My steering shaft penetrates the firewall about 16" to 18" above the floorboard. My slot, if-you-will, is covered by a custom cut piece of conveyor belt material cut to fit the steering shaft and the slot in the firewall, both inside and outside, held in place by 8 1/4-20 SS Allenhead capscrews. This way, I gained my comfortable footroom, plus I was able to come into my steering box and the wheel was centered to my driving position, and was straight. It didn't take that long to fab up, the ujoints are plenty strong, I broached a 5/16 keyway into the yokes, and milled 5/16 inch keyways onto the shafts. This in turn is locked in with allenhead polylock setscrews.

The floorboard in front of me only has a brakepedal and a gaspedal. A fella up in Dallas let me sit in his at a car show...and I couldn't get my feet in there with both the pedals and that steering shaft. Thats when I started designing the one for mine....

My kid is at Sheppard Air Force base how far is that from where you are He will be there until October.

I think about 2 hours putz, I'm not sure, I'll have to look on the map....Essentially I'm a little under halfway between the small towns of ADA and McAlester, WWWWAAY off the beaten path, have a few hunderd acres, with my house and shop out there right in the middle of it. Very, very secluded. That way, if I want to run a motor in at night, don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors....don't have to worry about racers dropping by to spy on what I'm doing for other racers, so and so forth. I nearest neighbor is like about 4 miles away....I've walked outside my shop at midnight before to see 3 or 4 deer standing not 10 ft. away from the door.

Mounting your colum as high as possible will give you the most room. Another thing to concider is a toeboard.

Ron

thanks for the ideas guys they have helped, screaming metal can u post some pictures of your column it helps with trying to figure everything out. And what is a toeboard?????

I think about 2 hours putz, I'm not sure, I'll have to look on the map....Essentially I'm a little under halfway between the small towns of ADA and McAlester, WWWWAAY off the beaten path, have a few hunderd acres, with my house and shop out there right in the middle of it. Very, very secluded. That way, if I want to run a motor in at night, don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors....don't have to worry about racers dropping by to spy on what I'm doing for other racers, so and so forth. I nearest neighbor is like about 4 miles away....I've walked outside my shop at midnight before to see 3 or 4 deer standing not 10 ft. away from the door.
I grew up in Ada. Always an Okie by heart. Still visit there several times a year.

I grew up in Ada. Always an Okie by heart. Still visit there several times a year.

Well, you know when you leave Ada like your coming toward McAlester, know where Hwy 1, where you can take it to Oklahoma City, I'm actually a little south of there....wwwwaay out there! Ha! Nice quiet nite, hear the oil field equip. running and the coyotes howling!!!

Gents, we're getting a bit off topic here.

I'm looking at my steering set up and want to be sure I don't have what I see (in many cases) as a safety concern.

A long steering shaft pointed at your chest, which in the case of an accident (wreck for NASCAR* folks) becomes a spear, that should be avoided through design - for my project anyway.

I'm looking at a collapsible column, though admittedly I haven't finalized the design.

*NASCAR.... Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back