Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering box placement

PeteT

I've been trying to find a suitable steering box for the past 3 months and after a visit to a swap meet yesterday I now have two possibles (although neither looks easy to fit!) They are both VW bus boxes, early and not quite so early.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

I like this one better but not sure if it is too far forward? Also going to need one or two UJ's to clear the starter

dcp_3921.jpg

This one is very tight on the starter (I don't think the starter would come out without removing the box!) and it's going to get in the way of the pedals as it goes through the firewall.

dcp_3920.jpg

will they mount on top of the frame?
also,whats wrong with that corvair box?

If they mount on top the pitman arm goes the wrong way (pointing down) or the geometry is wrong (pointing up). Also they get too near the exhaust manifold. On the Corvair box the pitman arm goes the wrong way (needs to point down)...

All these problems because I want to drive on the wrong side of the road lol

that is a reversed box isn't it? If you are looking for right hand drive you would need a regular NON reversed box wouldn't you? I think you could use a CCR steering box mount but you would need to play with the fitment and alignment and maybe flip it over and front to back before you go welding it on the frame.

My next project will be right hand drive when I open up Hot Rod's Cafe and Guesthouse in Pattaya Beach, Thailand.

BT

Tbucit said:
Could you mount it a little further back? I used the same box but for some reason I put it on the other side:rolleyes:. Here is a pic of mine and you can see it is past the engine area of the drive train.

Randall

BrakeSpring2.jpg

That looks real nice...

But I've got a bit of a starter problem! Oh and I'm having 3 pedals, nothing like making the job easy :lol:

dcp_3875.jpg

Did yours have the solid shaft when you got it or did you fit that? If so how did you join it, I've been trying to find a 3/4" UJ with 72 spines without luck so far.

"But I've got a bit of a starter problem! Oh and I'm having 3 pedals, nothing like making the job easy
Did yours have the solid shaft when you got it or did you fit that? If so how did you join it, I've been trying to find a 3/4" UJ with 72 spines without luck so far."

I think you could mount the box up higher and clear the starter. I saw some pics somewhere of a brake and slave cylinder mounted back under the seat and long rods from the pedals to the cylinders. Something like that would be what you need. Borgeson has the steering u-joints you need, D shaft, straight hole, splined hole, etc....

"Hmmmm. A "guesthouse" in Pattaya Beach. Interesting."

If Mr. CHANGE keeps doing what he's doing I might be starting it sooner than I had planned...... Yeap gonna have a nice cafe/grill/bar with a big screen TV and hopefully Speed Channel among others. And about 10 guestrooms near the beach somewhere between Jomtien Beach and Sattahip. Been there many many times and my wife is from there. Need sumptin like that hotrod limo HotRod Limos For Your Quince also saw it on youtube somewhere.

blownt said:

If Mr. CHANGE keeps doing what he's doing I might be starting it sooner than I had planned...... Yeap gonna have a nice cafe/grill/bar with a big screen TV and hopefully Speed Channel among others. And about 10 guestrooms near the beach somewhere between Jomtien Beach and Sattahip. Been there many many times and my wife is from there. Need sumptin like that hotrod limo HotRod Limos For Your Quince also saw it on youtube somewhere.
Sorry if i'm being stupid here but what is a quince ?

How about cowl steering?

It be a plant in southeast asia...

The Quinceaera or Quince aos is, in some Spanish-speaking regions of the Americas, a young woman's celebration of her fifteenth birthday, which is commemorated in a unique and different way from her other birthdays. It is sometimes represented XV Aos, meaning "15 years." Only a few countries call the actual party "quinceaera."

Besides referring to the actual festivities, the word is also used to refer to the young woman whose 15th birthday is being celebrated (analogous to the word cumpleaera for "birthday girl"). The closest equivalents to the quinceaera in the English-speaking world are the sweet sixteen, Bar or Bat Mitzvah for Jewish boys turning 13 and Jewish girls turning 12 respectively, cotillion, or, in more affluent communities, the debutante ball for those who turn 18.

History

There are several different theories as to the origin of this celebration; the most common is that the quinceaos was the result of a blending of mostly religious traditions from both Spanish conquerors and the native people of Mexico. Specifically, this celebration contains elements of the coming of age traditions and Mexican ceremonies along with elements from Spanish culture. The quinceaos resembles and probably gets its name from a 16th-century Spanish tradition of presenting one's 15-year-old daughter to society. Over time, as the natives were converted to Catholicism by Spanish missionaries, they also began to emulate some of the practices of the Spanish.

blownt said:
I think you could mount the box up higher and clear the starter. I saw some pics somewhere of a brake and slave cylinder mounted back under the seat and long rods from the pedals to the cylinders. Something like that would be what you need. Borgeson has the steering u-joints you need, D shaft, straight hole, splined hole, etc....

The exhaust gets in the way if I go any higher. I was thinking of having the master cylinders further back, probably staggered, maybe not under the seat though. VW use a 3/4 72 spline shaft which I can't seem to find a UJ for at the moment.

Track-T said:
How about cowl steering?

I have considered this one as I really like the 'look'.

After a few calculations I decided the bump steer wouldn't be acceptable, I couldn't seem to get the pitman arm near enough to the pivot point for the radius rods. That the beauty of CAD, you can lay out the design and instantly see some of the problems, doesn't help you making the dam thing though:lol:

blownt said:

Were you based at Utapao back in the day?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back