Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering colume

dave kreis

Ok you bucket heads what is the prefered steering colume i am in debate over a idin't or going to a straight old style colume and what lenght is prefereble.:D:D

Dave I am making mine.I had a old corvair column that I removed the bell off of.I have installed it on a piece of tubing.Its simple and cheap.If you don't want to go that route Speedway has a nice looking one and I think Limefire also sells one.

I had an Ididit. Pricey in polished aluminum but I liked it. Next time I'll get steel but I will probably go with them again.

My column is homemade using a piece of 2" heavy wall aluminum conduit. I installed two sealed bearings to support the 3/4" double "D" shaft. I also made my own drop to mount the column to the lower dash.

IMG_2902.jpg

I don't like big, bulky steering columns in little cars, so I made mine. All that I wanted on it was a turn signal and the steering shaft.

To keep the upper end small, I used a tube inside the outer tube that transferred the rotary movement for the double acting toggle switch to the bottom of the column on the engine side of the firewall.

SteeringColumn001.jpg

The toggle switch is actuated by the forked fitting but it has no self canceling feature. Since this is coupled to a Vega Steering box, I elected to use the stock u-joint as it is nearly a straight shot on the box.

SteeringColumn002.jpg

This isn't for everybody but for guys with lathes, it's pretty easy.

I used a column out of a old ford pick up, maybe mid 70's before they started putting the key-switch in the column. The column was too long so I disasembled it, cut the tube to length, cut the shaft to length and then welded on a u joint.

The whole thing cost me less then $50. I got the collom at a swap meet for $15, The steering wheel I picked up for $16 and the adapter was $10 and the U-joint was a old stock part from work, that just happened to fit the vega box.

The wiring and switches for the turn signals, emergency flashers and horn worked fine. The biggest problem was at some time they had painted the inside of the truck the column was in, and when they did they painted all the wiring the same color, took about an hour and half to wire it all up trying to find what black wire did what :confused:

I used the one from my old 75 Chevy Pickup. It has turn signal and I have the key. I removed the shifter and filled it in. Then I cut it down and inserted the original bearing and sleeve setup. Welded my u-joint on and done. I get to use the wiring and switch for easy hook up. Looks great and was free... and as Tom says "Free is always good"
vbpgimage.php

Re: steering column

I started with a junkyard GM column...but by the time I started stripping it down and priced out the clean up plastic covers, I gave up and bought a new Flaming River 28" tilt column. I realize that it is $300 dollars as opposed to free, but the overall, I am very happy I went that route. I bought it bare and painted the interior side to match the upholstery, and since they use stainless, I polished the engine side... I did use the steering wheel that came with the JY column during mockup :D

Hay al.......

Lumen Al.......Didn't you post a material list for a homemade steering column several years back on the NTBA site ?
I wrote down all the stuff somewhere......seems like ya used exhaust tubing, and wheel barrow bearings from Ace iz da place.....
Or am I having another "Fried Foods" induced nightmare ? :D "BH"

Re: Hay al.......

Baby Huey said:
Lumen Al.......Didn't you post a material list for a homemade steering column several years back on the NTBA site ?
I wrote down all the stuff somewhere......seems like ya used exhaust tubing, and wheel barrow bearings from Ace iz da place.....
Or am I having another "Fried Foods" induced nightmare ? :D "BH"

There was a thread on this site, on this subject, earlier this year. You might be thinking of something I posted. I make my own columns out of 1.625 x .120 wall round tubing, and use bearings like wheel barrow wheel bearings, but a little better quality. I don't know how they compare to ace's, but they are way better than lowe's or home depot's :lol:. I'll try to find a picture and give some info later.

This is what mine looks like as parts...for whatever that's worth.

SteeringColumnPartsBreakdown.jpg

The white pieces are made of Delrin, kind of a cross between the rigidity of Nylon and the lubricity of Teflon.

Do you have a pic of the other end? How the switch is actuated?I really like this idea.Thanks Rick

GAB said:
This is what mine looks like as parts...for whatever that's worth.

SteeringColumnPartsBreakdown.jpg

The white pieces are made of Delrin, kind of a cross between the rigidity of Nylon and the lubricity of Teflon.

That is truly a work of art.

Butch 27

Don't know about the Corvair...didn't ever fool with them.

tfeverfred

Don't think that this qualifies as art...just basic machining and low buck shade tree engineering, but it is fun!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back