Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steering colume

Well, as long as we are on steering columns and I have used up wayyyy too much bandwidth already...guess that I might as well finish it off in grand style.

Here is another item that I was planning to use at one point. It is off of a Ford Courier pickup of some long forgotten year. The interesting thing about it is that it clamps onto a piece of 1-1/2" tubing. It has turn signals, headlight and parking light switch, hi and low beam, windshield wipers (2 speed) and washer, hazard switch and horn contact. It all covers up with the 2 piece plastic housing.

SteeringColumnCourier2.jpg
SteeringColumnCourier1.jpg

It had way more stuff than I wanted or needed, so it is on the shelf for another day.

GAB said:
This is what mine looks like as parts...for whatever that's worth.

SteeringColumnPartsBreakdown.jpg

The white pieces are made of Delrin, kind of a cross between the rigidity of Nylon and the lubricity of Teflon.
Ok lets try again that IS art !
Do you think a self canceling toggle switch could be used in this set up?I know they are available for dash mount and opertate on some type of timer.

Leon renaud said:
...Do you think a self canceling toggle switch could be used in this set up?...

There are some self canceling signals that use a button for left and one for the right only requiring a momentary press to activate signal for set period of time (like motorcycles)... seems to me you could mount two contact switches inside a similar setup that would work...

I'll chime in here. I am using a Studebaker motor with a Flight o Matic trans. No aftermarket shifters. So, with the tube in a tube design, I will be cutting both down, tweaking the linkage and using the original turn signals, shifter, and steering wheel. Now, for those of you that want to know how to do this, I don't know yet. I'll let you know when I figure it out. :welcome:

GAB said:
This is what mine looks like as parts...for whatever that's worth.

SteeringColumnPartsBreakdown.jpg

The white pieces are made of Delrin, kind of a cross between the rigidity of Nylon and the lubricity of Teflon.

GAB -

Any chance I could get you to make a column for me? I do not need the turn signal switch etc, but really like your design etc. Let me know what you charge for fabrication.

Thanks!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back