Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering drift

These cars are no different than any other cars except in H/P to weight ratio and wheel base. The fundamentals of chassis setup and engine/trans/rear end install is all the same. Too much Toe OUT is the main reason most cars hunt and seek the groves in the pavement as well as skinny tires.
Maybe I forgot if you said you were mechanically inclined or are learning as you go. But I hope you don't give up until you get it right so maybe you can enjoy it till you die.
Well now , there's an over simplification if
I ever read one ...

If you are chasing perfection, you might as well just pull your hair out now. Sometimes perfection can't happen. We might have to live with some quirky things that happen with these cars. If you can't make it perfect, I guess you try to make it as good as you can, and let it go.

No reason to say that as there are many that you can be driven hands off the wheel at 70-/80mph if set up correctly just like any other car.

Example---EX JUNK'S CAR

No reason to say that as there are many that you can be driven hands off the wheel at 70-/80mph if set up correctly just like any other car.

Example---EX JUNK'S CAR
Hands off at 70 is no great feat , most tracking problems are between 35-55 on less than stellar ( MOST OF THE MIDWEST) roads where corners are involved .

Mine didn’t want to go down the road good. I had set toe in 1/2” .they told me to take out and drive it..take some wrench’s along. I did ,drive it set and changed it ,drove it,changed it. Final got it to drive good. Check it I had 1’2 inch. Toe out. Drove it 9000 miles+- tires are wearing even. And it drives good. Had it up to75 mph.no problem.

That's an amazing amount of toe out! If you've driven it 9000 miles with no problems it must be OK. Whenever I have a situation where something seems way out of whack, whatever it is, I always worry that I'm overlooking something important. How are you measuring toe?

I have used 2 , 5' bars perfectly straight one on each wheel , I measured 8" off the ground both sides then attached the bars to each wheel below the center line of the wheel just using some things rope though the spokes on each wheel . With the bar sticking out each end of the wheel I was able measure from side to side. Front and back got that car perfect setting it started 1/8" towed in

I thing every bucket requires its own specs. Unlike production cars, each one of our buckets is particular to how it was built. They're basically all the same but each one is a little different. That difference requires different settings for the particulars; toe in, toe out, caster, camber, etc. Then there is the accuracy of the build so the axles are square to the frame and parallel to each other. And the frame also must be square and accurate. So what may work for you might be way off for someone else.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back