Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering ratio..!

Jhexide

Have my bucket together,took it out on the road,seems to have way too much steering,5 turns lock to lock, not very quick ,vega box,with 6 in center to center pitman arm,how can i fix it so im not turning the wheel for ever, oh 15 in wheel

thanks20150216_123509.jpg

Uuh, what's wrong? Is all the free play taken out of the box? Is it properly centered? Do you want quicker steering response?
Contact the people that sold you the system , explain to them what you feel the problem is and see what their response will be.
Then come back here and tell us what they have to say.

John

Picture shows nice assembly. Let's see the finished car.

Shorten the pitman arm (put several holes in it to try different ratios) and/or shorten the steering arms at the wheels. That's what I did when mine was too slow for me.

Any other pics of the steering? Looks like a typical cross-arm setup.

Have you contacted the manufacturer of the frame/steering gear to see what they recommend? They designed the system so they should be able to recommend a safe modification to the steering gear to quicken the steering response.
They will not recommend a modification that would have the possibility of failing when at speed.

Remember it's your ass and your passenger's ass if the steering fails because you made an unsafe modification to the steering gear.

Think about it. John

Not sure where the box is from,think it may be Speedway,bought the it as a kind of project roller,changed a lot
Have you contacted the manufacturer of the frame/steering gear to see what they recommend? They designed the system so they should be able to recommend a safe modification to the steering gear to quicken the steering response.
They will not recommend a modification that would have the possibility of failing when at speed.

Remember it's your ass and your passenger's ass if the steering fails because you made an unsafe modification to the steering gear.

Think about it. John

Sorry to be rude, but if you can't turn it or can't stop it you're in trouble.
Spirit has cross steering set ups and Ron Pope at RPM I believe also. They can offer suggestions.
Be very careful when modifying steering arms (arms attached to the steering box). Factory Chevrolet arms are forged and most, if not all after market arms are cast. Be very careful with steering arms made over seas.
Maybe to the point of having a specialty made arm out of superior material in a machine shop in the US of A.

John

Also check the higher end hot rod manufacturers like Height (?).
Google "hot rod manufacturers" or "hot rod parts manufacturers"

Lots of options.

cid:FE2CAA3B-B6FE-4A35-BE28-E49D6A6288B1

Have my bucket together,took it out on the road,seems to have way too much steering,5 turns lock to lock, not very quick ,vega box,with 6 in center to center pitman arm,how can i fix it so im not turning the wheel for ever, oh 15 in wheel

thanksView attachment 11644

I too, have a Vega box with a 6" arm and I have 3 3/4 turns lock to lock. Since I have correct Ackerman, my inside wheel at full turn sits at 57 degrees while the outside wheel sits at 118 degrees. I might also add that my steering arms are 5 1/2" long and my steering wheel has an outside diameter of 13 1/4".

Jim

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned that shorter arms will increase the steering effort and may not feel better. I have normal 5 turns with Corvair box and I just accept that it will never dart around like a go-kart. A T is not really going to steer quickly, so just set it up to track true with the correct amount of play in the box and enjoy the steady ride. The only time you have to worry about slow steering is when you try to whip into a parking space too quickly!

Right side steering arm has 2 holes?
The forward one for the tierod and the rearmost for the steering rod end?
OK...just thinking out loud here....Would it be possible to use the forward hole for both by placing the steering rod end below the arm and using a longer bolt?
That will speed up the steering (by effectively "shortening" the steering arm as far as the tierod hookup is concerned) but you will of course need to verify that there is no binding/interference at any point in suspension movement.
If everything works properly in that location you can then trim off the extra hole on the arm.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back