Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering stabilizer

Track T-4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've gone back and read all the old posts about steering stabilizers. I understand that some people are not in favor of them but it also seems some people have had luck with them. So, after trying some recommended ideas - alignment, balance, out-of-round - I recently purchased a stabilizer from SO-Cal and plan to install it.

First, although I've seem a couple of ways to mount them I believe the correct way is one end to the tierod and the other to the radius rod. Second, it seems it doesn't matter which end is which as long as it is attached in those locations. Correct so far?

The So-Cal stablizer has a bend of about 30 degrees in the first one inch of the shaft (see photo). The problem I have is the limited amount of opening I have (and can add) in the track nose of my car. You might be able to see the current opening where th tierod passes through in the second photo, there is some room to expand the opening and make a new trim plate but not much before getting into the hood side panel which I'm trying to avoid.

I'm thinking about heating and taking most of the bend out of the shaft and mounting the stabilizer almost parallel to the tierod. And so my questions: Any thoughts on the effect of making this change? Is there any obvious reason for this bend and mounting angle? I could go ahead and change the bend and see what happens but thought I'd ask for opinions before messing with the stabilizer. I understand that any heating of the shaft would have to be isolated from the shock absorber.

Thanks,
Bruce

I have the So Cal stabilizer on my car. I believe they are actually stock VW Beetle pieces that are repurposed with a couple of brackets. The bend in the rod is left over from the original application.

I didn't like the bend either, so I cut the shaft and threaded it for a rod end (heim joint). That allowed me to install it parallel to the tie rod. I did have to fab up a double ended bolt. One end to fit the So Cal clamp and the other to fit the rod end.

I didn't want to heat the rod. I was concerned about damaging the seal. Also, I don't know what the carbon content of the shaft is. Heating it may cause it to crack at the bend.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the modified end. I can get one tomorrow if you need it.

I don't want to get off on a rant here (yes I do), but why are we stuck with that cheesy So-Cal unit? If you use it as is, the clamps will chew up whatever they are on, they will slip and soon rust will appear.

I've looked hi and low for a better unit with no luck. Now the bikers have a bunch of gorgeous billet units with adjustable damping. So to all you SEMA types, make an attractive adjustable damper for street rods, with options for the connections (rod ends, bushings, etc). Offer it in chrome or stainless. And you will sell a bunch of them.

I doubt the market is large enough to justify the tooling costs. SoCal uses the VW unit because it works and is already available. Most people won't even try one.

It might be easier to get one of the motorcycle suppliers to adapt their units over to the hot rod application.

Hotrod46,

I like what you are suggesting for a modification, the weld at the clamp isn't very nice anyway. Would appreciate if you could post a pic or two and info about the heim you used. Thanks.

Potvinguy,

I know where you're coming from. The clamps will probably have to be insulated with rubber to avoid marking.

I agree, the SoCal units would be better with a heim. However, mine works OK as-is with the angled end at the front, near the middle of the tie rod, and the straight end on the bottom right radius rod. What bothers me more than the angle is that the clamps are plain steel. They need to be plated or painted to keep from rusting. Regarding the issue of damage to other suspension components, I never clamp anything to the bucket without an insulating layer of thin rubber in-between. I did that to both ends of the steering stabilizer, and also to my license plate brackets at the front axle.

Jack

EDIT: Bruce, I just took another look at the pics you posted, and the clamp on your stabilizer looks like chrome. Did you have it plated, or did it come like that? Beautiful car BTW!

p565688038-3.jpg

p817507644-3.jpg

Track T I worked late in the shop tonight and didn't see your reply until I came in. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

I doubt the market is large enough to justify the tooling costs. SoCal uses the VW unit because it works and is already available. Most people won't even try one. It might be easier to get one of the motorcycle suppliers to adapt their units over to the hot rod application.

Problem solved. I bought our Senator Al Franken ( I giggle whenever I say those words; Al is much sillier now than when he was doing standup) a steak dinner and he is going to require all street rods to have steering stabilizers. It will be stuffed into ObamaCare; all Americans have the right to safe steering! And I get a cut...so be nice.

Problem solved. I bought our Senator Al Franken ( I giggle whenever I say those words; Al is much sillier now than when he was doing standup) a steak dinner and he is going to require all street rods to have steering stabilizers. It will be stuffed into ObamaCare; all Americans have the right to safe steering! And I get a cut...so be nice.

Maybe I can tool up to make them now! I need to get some of that government required money action, too!:D

Track T. Here is the picture.

20140406_171913_zps33200b73.jpg

The rod end is a female 5/16" standard duty part. I think I got it from Speedway. The stabilizer shaft cut easy with a threading die (5/16 x 24 UNF).

The bolt is just a 5/16 bolt tig welded to a 3/8 bolt to form a double ended piece. I had to use a short spacer as you can see. If I do this again, I will make a stud with 2 different sizes and the spacer built in.

Hotrod46,
Nice solution and exactly what I need to fit the available space. Thanks for the photo and the details. :thumbsup:

TrideLuvr,
I checked, the clamps are stainless. They must have put those on the chrome stabilizers and plain steel on the painted. Thanks for the photos, information and compliment.

Hotrod46,

Can you post a photo of the other end of your stabilizer, the end that attaches to your radius rod? I cut and welded teh stabilizer but the other end isn't lining up right. The problem on my car might be the height of the radius rod versus the tie rod so I'm curious how that linjes up on your car.

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce, it'll be tomorrow evening before I can get you a pic. Storming pretty good here now and I have to work tomorrow.

Mike

Mike,

OK, thanks! I think I have mine figured out now. Appreciate your help.

Bruce

==============================================================================

OK, I want to see all the Politicians have steering stabilizers on their damn golf clubs when they hit the range.....:rolleyes:

Maybe ObamaCare will provide steering stabilizers. We all deserve them.

Geesh, ask about steering stabilizers and everyone goes political. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic...I need one of the clamps that are used to clamp to the tierod, where is a good source for these?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back