Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering wheel adapter headache

fletcherson

I decided to use a early 70's tilt, telescoping column from a cadillac. I wanted a aftermarket steering wheel so I started shopping for a wheel and adapter. Grant makes one for their 5 hole signature wheel, but the adapter for the 3 inch travel I need is discontinued. Billet specialties makes one that is for 3 inch, but it's for their 6 hole wheels, different bolt circle than everyone else's. There is a 9 hole one by raccaro for their wheels, but I dont want to spend that much on a stupid steering wheel. I found one by momo that is supposed to be correct for 5 or 6 hole grant, and most everyone else, so I ordered it and a quick disconnect so I can have a little security, and a nice billet steering wheel. Three hundred bucks later I get the parts and the momo adapter and attempt to install as I am anxious to see how nice it will be... Well, of course, the damned thing is for 2 inch travel, not 3 and the center hole is too small to even fit on the steering shaft. I re checked the part number and their application chart, supposedly it is the correct one. Now I am going to likely have to pay return shipping and restocking on the parts due to their deception. Yes i said that momo is deceptive! It does not fit, will not fit, and even if I milled the center hole to the correct diameter, it still is not correct for the advertised application. I can't seem to locate any alternatives other than the billet specialties one, but it won't work with all of my other items. Surely many other guys use these columns. Why is it so hard to find a simple steering hub? Why do there have to be so many different diameter and bolt patterns for a steering wheel? Any helpful advice? This is the stuff that makes me livid! Seemingly simple tasks that evolve into re engineering projects for no good reason. It seems to me that of all the aftermarket parts folks, someone would make simple functional, fairly priced parts. I have more time invested in looking at web sites than it would take to make one if I had the machines... Hours.

I have seen someone take the factory Cadillac steering wheel and cut it up to get the splined main hub. They used that piece to make their own adapter. As I recall (it's been many years), this center part was made from steel and all they had to do was drill some holes to line up with their 3 hole Grant type wheel. They use the sliding cover that is under the stock wheel too. It might be worth a look.

I'm looking for an old style telescoping column for my OT car. I may be in the same boat as you, since I already have the old style Grant wheel that I want to use. If I find one, I'll be exploring the solution I described.

Mike

There are a LOT of variations of hubs and adapters available on ebay. It took a lot of searching, but I managed to find what I needed for my Cougar, when none of the conventional sources had what I needed.

I have seen someone take the factory Cadillac steering wheel and cut it up to get the splined main hub. They used that piece to make their own adapter. As I recall (it's been many years), this center part was made from steel and all they had to do was drill some holes to line up with their 3 hole Grant type wheel. They use the sliding cover that is under the stock wheel too. It might be worth a look.

I'm looking for an old style telescoping column for my OT car. I may be in the same boat as you, since I already have the old style Grant wheel that I want to use. If I find one, I'll be exploring the solution I described.

Mike
I looked at it and you are correct, it will work and I may end up going that way, if I would have put the time into it that I wasted on ebay, etc..it would be done. The catch is that I want to be able to remove the steering wheel. That's why I went with the parts I selected as they all work together. I wish the manufacturers would just provide accurate detailed technical data in the product descriptions so guys like us who know what they need can just order what is needed and not waste time ordering stuff on their word to find out if it will work or not. If not for the disconnect and the limited steering wheel style selection, I would go with billet specialties. Their stuff looks to be high quality. They are all 9 hole hubs. I want a wood ringed wheel without gothic looking spokes and they seems to be a rare bird.

The problem as I see it is the telescoping friction mechanism handle that will stick up above the wheel. You could make a steel spacer that has a cutout for the friction handle and attach that to the stock hub. The quick disconnect splined part could be welded to the spacer. It would add some length to the top of the column though.

The problem as I see it is the telescoping friction mechanism handle that will stick up above the wheel. You could make a steel spacer that has a cutout for the friction handle and attach that to the stock hub. The quick disconnect splined part could be welded to the spacer. It would add some length to the top of the column though.
The hub is basically a standard looking GM hub, but the shroud that covers the shaft and horn spring from the void via telescope function and horn connection behind the hub are part of it. The lock knob is on the end of the shaft and comes through the steering wheel. That would come through the center of the horn button on the standard 3 hole wheels that are similar the the factory hub. The aftermarket hubs incorporate everything behind the steering wheel, which is ideal, they just aren't available, are universal and limit the travel to 2 inches, which in my case negates the value of it, or are for their specific wheel design and they are not cheap. I also haven't seen a disconect for a 9 hole steering wheel, which may or may not be an issue, but for me in a open cab car that is chuck full of very desirable and expensive parts, I want all of the protection I can get. I have a grant wheel that has two sets of spokes separated by a spacer and I think it would work out nice, but it doesn't go with my car at all. Grant makes one that will work for their 5 hole wheels and I could use the disconnect hub to convert to the wheel I want to use, but the hub for 3 inch travel is discontinued??? They still offer one that is universal, but it limits travel to 2 inches. I wish I could locate an old stock part or something. If I had a mill and lathe, I would manufacture one and sell it. By the way, they claim the hub is universal for all GM with telescoping, tilt columns including corvette from 69-87 or so, but I seriously question that. The travel is not the same, and the one I got from momo has a smaller center bore for the steering shaft than required. The spline is correct, but the shoulder is too small. I wonder if that's the corvette style? Also I mispoke earlier, the billet specialties hub is for their 9 hold wheels, not 6. Their hub is reasonably priced, but their steering wheels are a little rich and I didn't see one that I wanted. They seem to be the one to go with at the moment if you don't mind the cost.

Update. I have went round and round with the seller, who I will not defame yet, but it prompted me to contact Momo and I ended up speaking with their sales management team and it seems the hub is just faulty. Apparently it evaded having the bore finish machined to the correct size. They are sending a different one to verify my columns shaft size, as if my measurements weren't enough, but they are seemingly attempting to resolve the issue, which I expect and appreciate. I will update with the end result for anyone who is considering one of these hubs for a telescoping GM column.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back