Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket Transmisson conversion

coloradotbucket

My T bucket is currently a C4 automatic. I am thinking of changing it over to a T5 manual from a Fox Body Mustang. It looks as though there would be limited room for a clutch fork/cable, and possibly a clutch pedal.

Does anybody any insights on this conversion. I know most T buckets I see are automatics, is there a reason for this ? The assumption is that my car is a Total Performance T bucket kit.

coloradotbucket said:
My T bucket is currently a C4 automatic. I am thinking of changing it over to a T5 manual from a Fox Body Mustang. It looks as though there would be limited room for a clutch fork/cable, and possibly a clutch pedal.

Does anybody any insights on this conversion. I know most T buckets I see are automatics, is there a reason for this ? The assumption is that my car is a Total Performance T bucket kit.

The reason most T-buckets are automatics is because of a lack of space to install a manual. It can be done, but takes some engineering to do. Most used some sort of hydralic throw out bearing and pedal with m/c.

I read somewhere that the reason they were mostly automatics was for the lack of room for a clutch pedal. I was going to start a thread regarding that question because I think I would rather have a stick shift, It just seems like this kind of car should have one. I was thinking about stretching and probably widening the body in the front in order to make the leg room. It'll be interesting to see how yours works out.

I have a stick setup in my '27, it is a Ford Toploader and the frame is a Model A, so there is some room for three pedals. When I started building my '23 I actually mocked up a stick tranny, but gave up after a while because there is just no room in there to do it. My '23 is very low, so the transmission takes up a lot of the space in the cockpit. Maybe on a car that sits higher there would be room, I know guys like Grabowski and Ivo ran stick shifts in theirs.

However, I am glad I put the automatic in it anyways. In my '27 things happened so quick when I got on it that it was tough to concentrate on shifting too. With an automatic you punch it and hold on while the transmission does it's own thing.

Here is a picture of my '27 with the stick to give you some idea of what space it takes up. The next two pictures are when I was trying to get the stick to fit in my '23. You can see how tight it is.

Don

Here is how it ended up with the automatic. You can see there is almost no room for the brake pedal.

Don

I'm not sure who's car this is, but it is a nice piece. The pictures came from the Internet.

P7190232.jpg

P7190233.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back