Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TH350 or Powerglide?

Zack

I currently have a aluminum glide that i had planned to run in my bucket. However, I picked up a real nice lockup TH350 from a guy at work today for $50 bucks. The 350 has the kickdown cable also. I will be running a tunnel ram so, i'm not sure how that would hook up. What do you guys think about this choice considering it is going in a bucket. The engine is a mostly stock 283 with cam and double hump heads.

Which one will i have the best luck with in a bucket?

Thanks
Zack

Lokar and other aftermarket companies make cut to length kick down cable kits which should be easy enough to adapt to your tunnel ram set up. I'd go for the T350, the slightly lower 1st gear will be an advantage to you. I hope you're running some 465 Holleys or similar on that motor otherwise it'll be a bit of a pig on the street with out a hi stall converter.

I'm using a TH 350 and won't be using the kick down cable. Or at least that is the plan.

Yep you can run without a cable, but I've heard that without it, the trans will not see full line pressure to the 2-3 clutch packs under full throttle which can cause slippage and eventual failure. , your call. Ask a good trans guy his opinion maybe.

Yep you can run without a cable, but I've heard that without it, the trans will not see full line pressure to the 2-3 clutch packs under full throttle which can cause slippage and eventual failure. , your call. Ask a good trans guy his opinion maybe.
On a T-350, it is simply a kickdown cable. On a 700R4, it is a throttle positioning cable and will cook a trans if it is not hooked up.

Some people like having the convenience of running the kickdown cable, but you'll not hurt anything in a T-350 if you don't.

I've been running a TH350 without a kick down cable for years with no problems.

Awesome, Thanks for the info guys. I am also concerned about the converter. Can i run a non lock up stall converter in this lock up tranny?

Don't know the answer to that one but I can tell you the input shafts are different between the lock up style and non lockup style TH350s

In a T, I would run the Powerglige. It's lighter, takes less power to turn and has the same 1 to 1 high gear.

If I didn't get the TH350 for dirt cheap, I wouldn't of hesitated on running a Pglide. The only thing, with a tall 1.76 first gear ratio, I'd run a 3000 stall convertor IMHO

My setup will consists of a stock 283 with a thumpr cam (,279/.297), Weiand tunnel ram with (2) Edelbrock 500's and 33" Mickey Thompson Sportsmans on the rear. I am thinking of dropping in 4:11 gears also. I hope those gears will help offset the tall first gear in the glide.

I like the sound of that setup.

Car will be alot quicker with the PG.....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back