Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Bucket List

Thanks for the input Indy,
I have read that article a few times in the past and I realize the secondary transitions are higher up on my 1850-2's.
People say they are only there for bleeding out the gas incase it gets old for those that never open them up, but the secondary metering plate although its not adjustable still has the idle restriction at the same setting at .031.
I am changing that plate out for a .026 plate but still in the back of my mind I thing those transition slots have more purpose than bleeding off old fuel.
Thoughts ?
Anyone ever set up 2 1850-2's for an old vintage Weiand 2X4 high rise ?

The two articles below seem to contradict each other, but the YouTube video was made by
Holley. It appears that it depends on the camshaft and your idle vacuum.

I would put an allen head screw in the secondary idle position so that you don't have to
remove the carb to adjust the idle every time. It will be adjustable and won't be a problem
to play with the setting.

Quick Tech: How to Properly Set up the Idle on Holley Carburetors

I'll start this by saying what is applicable to a single 4 bbl is not necessarily good for a 2x4 bbl setup. This has been my experience : I've used 2-390 cfm 8007 holley , 2 450cfm 9776 holley & 2 - 600 cfm 1850 holley.....changing ifr's , jetting , accelerator nozzles & cams...in all cases these changes made little effect on everyday driving , the pump cams/shooters having the most effect... holley has done a pretty good job of having the internals " right " for the carb.....in order to get curb idle down to 900 -1000 rpm , & have the mixture screws responsive , the sec flaps have to be closed [just so they don't stick closed] because these cars are so light the power valve rarely opens [even a 10.5] unless at WOT.... 2x4 carbs don't give you double the CFM , maybe 75-80%.... floorboarding a TR is going to have a slight hesitation-period ..learn to drive around it ! Of the three different setups I've used , the 450's are by far the most responsive & produce the best mileage....the 390's were sluggish [lean] , likewise the 600's [rich]..Don't even think about progressive linkage , cyl.'s under the active carb will run rich , passive -lean.....What I'm saying is carb modifications may be necessary , but what I've found is the right "as they are " carbs may be up to the job ..

Thanks Donny,
Work continues on the carbs.
Changed all the hardware out for stainless.
Have to extend a few bolts because they don't make 12x24 by 2 1/2" in stainless apparently.
May also get new bodies for the carbs, on the fence on that one right now.

20171008_135040.jpg 20171015_133601.jpg 20171015_133633.jpg 20171022_193339.jpg 20171022_193352.jpg 20171025_194514.jpg 20171101_200249.jpg 20171101_200255.jpg 20171101_200308.jpg 20171101_213656.jpg

Almost done on the carbs.
Waiting for some bolts on back order.
Moving onto some fabrication for the underside of the body and the grill shell.

The grill shell started out life as a 1935 Chevy Master Coupe.
My Uncle has this car and has 3 of these grills, this is the worst of the bunch he said I could have for free.
I will be chopping it up and modifying it extensively.
20171117_192811.jpg 20171117_192822.jpg 20171117_192904.jpg 20171117_220844.jpg

Mocking everything up .. got some more work to do on the long box and chop the grill down to height.
Anyone running a hot high compression motor with a small rad ??
Any thoughts on how small of a rad I can go before I start chopping up this grill ?

20171117_220844.jpg 20171121_193341.jpg

Phase 1 of the box mods ,,

20180114_175304.jpg

Cut some PCV pipe down the middle for some of the mold.

20180114_150703.jpg

Used some builders foam to help with the gaps in the mold.

20180114_175211.jpg

Sam-witched it all together ..

20180114_205633.jpg

And lay'd in some glass

20180114_213001.jpg

Anyone running a hot high compression motor with a small rad ??
Any thoughts on how small of a rad I can go before I start chopping up this grill.

I am. Not sure if it'll be enough to keep my 383 cool. I widened and shortened a chopped '32 shell to fit the radiator and my cowl dimensions. I won't be surprised if I end up needing to have a thicker one made.

This is the radiator: Northern Radiator | Product Detail

3-30-14.JPG
4-13-14 6.JPG
5-17-14 4.JPG
5-18-14 2.JPG
7-19-14.JPG

The fan and shroud is as important as size of the radiator. Also, pay attention to fan direction, ie, push or pull. You would be surprised how many I've found that are incorrect. This one is nice and should work well. You could also incorporate a oil cooler to help stabilize temp. My 383 wasn't difficult to cool. No more than the 350 it replaced.

Thanks for the tip Fletch,, I may consider an oil cooler.
I have been told the 327's punched out .060 over are very hard to cool.

Great news ... its hard to believe guys at the cruise nights, can't tell if they have ever had one or not, or if it was a friend that had problems .. just roomers// who knows.

Thanks for the tip Fletch,, I may consider an oil cooler.
I have been told the 327's punched out .060 over are very hard to cool.
Anytime you bore heavy, it's critical to control temp due to the possibility of distorting the cylinder walls. Higher compression makes a difference too. I've not had much issue with sbc engines over heating with the exception of installing a reverse flow water pump on one...thanks parts guy! I mean you have to provide adequate cooling, but I personally haven't experienced any serious problems keeping non forced induction street engines happy. They are also pretty tuff and will take a fair amount of abuse. The 400 small blocks and early aluminum head engines were a different story, the 400 had issues due to the block and head water jacket design and they had a horrible reputation for blowing head gaskets and head casting failure back when they were in production and the early aluminum was inferior, it warped, cracked, etc... much better now. I threw many 400's away due to their reputation, no body wanted them. I wish I had that to do over, lol...Now the aluminum pieces don't like heat so much and the fact that iron and aluminum expands and contracts at different rates related to heat can cause issues, gasket failure, etc... the newer aluminum radiator design with the large single tubes are more efficient at dispersing heat, so a smaller size will do more for you than the older brass and copper core type. Also, although I like mechanical fans (without clutches), if you acquire quality electric fans and construct efficient, functional shrouds and utilize quality fan controllers, you can really narrow the running temp window. Another thing I've seen that I liked the thought of is using a push fan on the front and a pull fan on the back of the radiator, staggered, so they aren't impeding each other. This allows a fail safe with a seperate controller set at a bit higher temp on the secondary fan, so in the event of getting stuck in traffic or primary fan failure, your covered. I'm planning on running a mechanical flex fan on my 427, but I'm thinking about adding a push fan on the front so in traffic, or extended idle or low rpm settings where water flow isn't high, I'm covered. Keep in mind that air flow is critical. Decorative grill screens can impede air flow, so again, just something to consider. Also, back when we used to do a lot of engine swaps, etc, I found that bone yard cooling components like fans, relays, etc were superior to much of the aftermarket stuff. Cheaper too. It's a personal choice thing, but those components seem to be built better. Like everything, there are some better than others and you can buy quality aftermarket stuff. Just put some thought into it and put the effort into constructing quality, functional components like Choppinzech did. Choose a quality fail safe thermostat and a water pump with adequate flow. I have seen underdrive pulleys cause water flow and alternator issues at idle. If you are running a auto transmission, they can create a lot of heat, especially with high stall converters, and if you plumb the cooler lines into the radiator tank cooler, that can be another variable to consider. That's probably not as much of a consideration in a light bucket, but it all adds up...especially when you are hammering on it! I'm sure there is a formula to help design or determine radiator size. If you can't find anything through the manufactures, I've found the sales reps at Jegs can be quite helpful if you call when they aren't real busy. Some of those guys are very helpful. I'm sure other parts suppliers are too, just my experience.

Just ordered my rad from Spirit along with the pressure valve.
I wanted to get the rad in place before I start chopping up the 35 grill shell for fitment of the fan shroud.
The decorative grill shouldn't be an issue with what I have planned.
I am thinking on just one pull fan mounted on the back side or the rad with a custom aluminum fan shroud bead rolled for strength and to match all the bead rolling I am planning for the interior.
It also plays into all the body work I am doing to remove all the horizontal lines to make the fiberglass look more like its bead rolled. Then I am planning on using stainless guitar fret wire to create an inlay on all of the vertical beads along the body.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back