Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Bucket List

Fuel is not a problem here, Petro-Canada has 93 octane at my local station. It should be running just under 11:1 and all the stations around here have 91 for high test, just have to pick the ones with no (evil) ethanol.

Fuel is not a problem here, Petro-Canada has 93 octane at my local station. It should be running just under 11:1 and all the stations around here have 91 for high test, just have to pick the ones with no (evil) ethanol.
I remember 106 octane, the purple stuff. Still remember how it smelled. 11:1, you will need good fuel, especially with iron heads. I had a 10.5:1 383 with iron heads, a little more duration and lift than yours, and had preignition issues on pump fuel, premium, before ethanol was an issue. It took a lot if tuning to solve. I hope it works out well for you! I'm looking forwards to you posting a clip of it breathing!

That is very nice looking!

Is that front motor mount made from SS or aluminum?

Great job!

Cool, that's an easier than polishing SS I guess!

Really like the headers.

correction its 3/8" plate with 1/8" mirror finish stainless.
The headers need to shortened a bit to fit the real wheels and tires I am putting on and corrected.
I would have thought a well know company like Patriot would have welded them the same length on the collectors but they were off by 1 1/2"

correction its 3/8" plate with 1/8" mirror finish stainless.
The headers need to shortened a bit to fit the real wheels and tires I am putting on and corrected.
I would have thought a well know company like Patriot would have welded them the same length on the collectors but they were off by 1 1/2"

Wow, that's quite a lot, actually. But easy to fix.

Ya there is 9" of collector to play with so I don't think anyone will notice as long as the end result is the same length.
I would have sent them back if I had of paid big money for stainless.

Update.
Working on the Carbs.
I got what I was told was 2 600 Holley Vacuum secondary's with the intake, turns out from my research one was an old 566 off of a bus.
I went to the local swap meet and picked up 4 donor carbs for parts ($40) and was able to match up my one good List-1850-2 with another List-1850-2.

20171001_161530.jpg

And the clean up began.

20171002_180159.jpg

20171001_161530.jpg 20171002_180159.jpg 20171004_211626.jpg 20171004_211635.jpg 20171008_135040.jpg

So here is the plan.
I know these intake can be finicky.
I am swapping out the secondary metering plates from #9 to #8 plates, this keeps my secondary mains .067 but reduces my secondary idle circuit from .031 to .026.
For the primary circuit I am changing my mains from .066 to .060 and tapping the IFR with a 6/32 tap so I can install .024 fuel bleeds restricting the idle circuits down on the main metering block here where the arrows are.

20171009_172932 - jets.jpg

This should get me pretty close on the carb setup.
I am also reducing the power valve from the stock 6.5 to the 5.0 because I think I vacuum will be a bit lower with the cam and big intake.

Very frugal and great work.

I did manage to salvage a good electric choke from one but the others had heat chokes that were all seized up so I ordered another electric choke for the match set.
most people wouldn't need a choke with this type of summer car but up here in Ontario day right now can be 4 degrees in the morning and 25 in the afternoon.

If any carb guys think I am way off on this setup I would like to here, I am open to opinions (wont necessarily follow them) lol, but I have been know to listen to logic, and I love to learn carb tuning tricks.

The power valve selection really won't matter until you actually get a vacuum reading, imho, but your logic is good. What prompted you to make the mods to the metering plates? What are you figuring the jet sizes on? It's nice to see someone actually work on carbs. It takes me back.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back