Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Bucket List

Thanks: those were the pics I needed. I've got the Oak installed but because of the body curve in the thickness veryies from 1-3/8" to 7/8" in some areas. Guess I'll have to laminate some wood onto it.

Ok, I will bite. Just why are there holes drilled in the door wood? I think I know, but will not commit just in case I am wrong, to show my ignorance.

Butch, the door was already cut when I got it. But from the look of it I would say they used a jig saw with a metal blade (hacksaw blade).

Choppedtop, The upholstered hardboard panel that fits the door has wooden dowels out the back side that fit in there nice and snug. You actually have to use a rubber mallet to fit the panel on.

Thanks Bowtie, good to know.
Something that big I would normally buy local, but my uncle has a place in Florida and he said he would haul it home for me.

Bit of an update.
The 327 I picked up is in the machine shop.
The dream of making a Smoky Yunick 302 has been squashed due to the cost of the pistons.
But I should be pretty close with the 327, and the 461 heads, with the 30-30 cam, some mill work and allot of attention to detail.
I have started the fuel tank mount and got the remote master in place as well.

Fuel tank mount..jpg

The reservoir won't be on that angle.. not welded in yet.

I am starting to think that those old spring mounts look like they should have air bags in them.

I doo seem to be a bit all over the place on focus.
I sent the block to the machine chop with out heads, and then realized I need to buy a set of heads so I can properly cc the chambers before I have the deck on the block machined, after I decided how much I want to take off the heads.

Bit of an update.
The 327 I picked up is in the machine shop.
The dream of making a Smoky Yunick 302 has been squashed due to the cost of the pistons.
But I should be pretty close with the 327, and the 461 heads, with the 30-30 cam, some mill work and allot of attention to detail.
I have started the fuel tank mount and got the remote master in place as well.

View attachment 12984

The reservoir won't be on that angle.. not welded in yet.
That 327 will make your bucket scream. One of my favorites. And 461's, it'll be 1968 again. Watch the compression, also unless someone's reworked them, the valve seats may need replaced unless you plan on running a fuel additive. That's one of the drawbacks on those heads. That and the accessory holes, but you won't need them in a bucket. They can be drilled anyways. Not as many guys run them anymore. It's cheaper to replace them with later model 882's, vortex or the like than to do the work to make them survive the fuel. I love the old stuff, personally.

I did get the 461 heads, got a smoke'n deal.
Even has a full roller rocker set with stud girdles.

I will take a pic of them when I am in the garage cc'n the chambers.

vintage heads, going to sand them down to metal and get rid of the 4 layers of paint and hit them with the high temp POR.

20170207_192044.jpg 20170207_192050.jpg 20170207_192058.jpg 20170207_192124.jpg

Look like the castings are in good shape. They are known to have the bosses around the bottom head bolts crack and break off, especially when they are installed and removed often, like in drag racing. I've had to have them repaired before. Good heads.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back