Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

+1 for the above.
Also, I'm in awe of the way you're tackling this project in the complete absence of a workshop/ garage to work out of. I take my hat off to you Island Girl.
Regards,

Thanks guys for the kind words.

In spite of my occasional whining, I'm really happy to have the good health that I do, and at least some reasonable physical strength to do the things I enjoy . . . . now if I can just maintain both until I finish the car :D

Hi IslandGirl , I look in here from time to time , I enjoy your thread from over this side of the pond ( Australia ) , just wandering how the build is going ........??

Hi IslandGirl , I look in here from time to time , I enjoy your thread from over this side of the pond ( Australia ) , just wandering how the build is going ........??

Just trying to get my enthusiasm ramped back up after being hunkered down for hurricane season. Somehow, the day to day realities of still working full time and being short staffed at that, seem to conspire against me when it comes to getting work time on the car.

I understand life gets in the way , we are right in the middle of bushfires here on the east coast of Australia in stoopid hot weather....... 40 degree celcius plus days on end ...... very severe drought all our water is runnin out , I'm building a little 3 springer '1919 roadster , so we gotta take each day as it comes and play it safe so all that makes for very little garage time , all the best , Regards

I also am without a garage. My project is tarped because of the rain storms. I do what I can do between the storms. So far , next Monday is looking good. Don't give up your dream...…..

I also am without a garage. My project is tarped because of the rain storms. I do what I can do between the storms. So far , next Monday is looking good. Don't give up your dream...…..

The dream is still solid, just that I'm working with a more matured level of time frame expectations, and balancing some real life realities into the mix.

Been building some new PC's these last few weeks to use some expensive hardware I bought back before the monster hurricane before it becomes obsolete.

Couldn't resist the Oculus Rift S VR setup when it went on Black Friday weekend sale, so that was my excuse to start some new PC's..

I have to admit, I had to Google Oculus Rift. And I'm curious what type of expensive hardware are you using, all VR?

I had a number of 6700K's and 7700K's and 8700K's along with a mobo for each of them, (higher end Asus and Gigabyte) as well as fast GSkill ram and a Samsung 960 Pro NVME drive, for each.

They were mostly originally planned to go into some custom modded Caselabs cases, but I'm tired of extensive case mods, and just want to have that hardware usable, so I'm putting it into some new, lower to mid range cases, with some nice RGB lighting. Maybe I'll get back to the Caselabs cases after the '27 is done.

Well your going to need at least a 1080TI for a smooth 60fps as long as you got the Intel horses.

The Rift S is 2560 X 1440, (80Hz refresh rate) so where when the 1080's were king of the hill, it would have been the way to go, but the TI version would have been more than enough for that resolution.

With the current GPU generation, the "RTX 20XX" series, and the newer versions of each, the "RTX 20XX Super" series, a 2070 Super, (in the $600 range) is more than adequate without getting into $1000 to $1400 graphics cards you'd need for 4K gaming.

Don't forget that the upper end NVidia cards still support teaming 2 cards via SLI.

I'll be running the RTX2070 Super with an 8700K on an Asus ROG Z370i board for the Rift.

The availability of the high end GPUs is still really limited, (but getting better) and that's got the pricing still in the stratosphere for the really top tier cards. The crypto currency mining farms run 7 of the 2080's per system and they're the reason the price is high, because of that demand.

Nerdgasm continues . . . .

Gotta do something on a rainy vacation day :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3 all done and waiting, . . . . Win 10 and all the drivers with some basic softwares ready to put in a new case . . .

3 Down.jpg

Number 4 done and holding its own on the test bench . . ..

4th 1 done.jpg

And the first of the new compact (semi lower end) bits . . .

New bits.jpg

They'll all get new AIO coolers like the one in the last pic, but stock Intel coolers are easy to set up with. . . . but turns out I only had 3, so the little 120 AIO on the bench.

Cool.
Ya ,, meant 1660 TI as a min .. 2070 will do the trick for sure.
Don't know why I had 1080 on the brain.
When they come out with a VR racing game like rFactor or the like then I may buy in.
Until then my old 660GTX's in SLI will have to do.
My water cooled 770 died last year so I had to scavenge some old parts from other systems in the house.
Good looking rigs.

Island girl are you done yet I haven't been around much between my rental homes and my new car I have been busy I would love to see pictures of how far you have got . Guy

I haven't done anything since making the rad mount and fan shroud with the grill shell mounting.

Between an active hurricane season and too much going on at work, I pretty much just get to the weekends too depleted to want to work on the hot rod, crap, even working on the computers seems like a lot more of a chore than a hobby..

Just as the best 3 or 4 months of weather of the year is about to come up, one of the managers under my group put in for 3 months of leave, so I can pretty much kiss vacation time I was saving to work on the car goodbye for a while.

It's really got me quite bummed out and almost regretting having bought the car, but I know I'll get over that and get back to working on it. I just have to work with life having imposed a more extended timeframe on it and stop beating myself up over the lack of progress.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back