Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

I may yet finish this project before I'm too old to drive it like it ought to be driven

That's how I feel.

Not nearly as gutsy as I used to be.

WOT is not something us more senior people do, is it?????o_O

That will be a nice addition to the homestead !

Will you be covering it ?

I don't plan to . . . .

I'll just put up the next "tent" when hurricane season is over, so I can take it down for next year's hurricane season.

That side of the house is very open and faces into the prevailing winds, trying to build a hurricane proof structure that wouldn't jeopardize the rest of the house would be amazingly expensive.

After tying to work on a dirt floor, with all the tropical bugs and weeds and mud, just being able to use a floor jack, creeper, and jackstands like any normal shop space will be a godsend.

Your really going to enjoy that concrete.
Reminds me of how proud I was when I had my drive poured a million years ago. I was at work when they finished it out, and all the way home I was thinking about how nice it would look. Wellllll, when I pulled up in front of the driveway, my 4 or 5 year old had ridden his big wheels all over it. Was I ever POed? Ya, I was. When I went into the house probably screaming where is that kid, he was kicked back watching cartoons. Man, I never have seen a kid move so fast and disapear. I got tickled by that, and said "oh well'. Lucky for me, the concrete broomed back out okay, and all was forgotten.

I'll just put up the next "tent" when hurricane season is over, so I can take it down for next year's hurricane season.
Working in the sun takes a toll on us older folks. Even a canvas awning that you could take down, leaving only some poles would be nice.

Working in the sun takes a toll on us older folks. Even a canvas awning that you could take down, leaving only some poles would be nice.

Agreed! . . . Being outside in the sun most of Thursday with the concrete crew really beat me up.

I was looking at these at Homedepot this morning . . . . https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...=REC-_-pipinstock-_-203716719-_-309982974-_-N

Should be easy enough to put up and take down on an "as needed / daily" basis and could add a second one later for more shade space.

The hurricanes and tropical storms are really fickle down here, as you can get barely a day's notice, (if that) between a miss and a dead on hit.

Once they get past us by a couple of days, they start to get more predictable.

She's the Queen of Her Slab . . . . and she rules her concrete kingdom

(an illusion to Dr. Hook and "Queen of the Silver Dollar")

I was expecting the contractors to come back over the weekend and pull the forms and tidy up a bit . . . . and while the loader is still here, I wanted them to move the pile of dirt and organics to the low corner of the property instead of where it'll probably piss off my back yard neighbor.

Anyway, I got tired of waiting and did most of it myself this afternoon so I could put stuff back in place, a lot more work than I wanted to do, but worth it. (no doubt I'll be feeling it tomorrow!)

I'll put the battery back in the Harley tomorrow, (OK . . maybe Tuesday) that I had to take out to get it to charge, and then I can put that back behind the "little car" and put on its new cover when it gets here.

Now that I have the concrete work surface, I ordered a set of wheel dollies/skates so I can move the car around in close quarters and without having to remove the security cables.

Also ordered a rolling mechanics stool to hopefully save a lot of wear and tear on my back and knees.

QoHS 4r.jpg

QoHS 2r.jpg

QoHS 3r.jpg

QoHS 1r.jpg

Last edited:
Well ..... when you blip the throttle on that mountain motor the first time, put it gear and crawl
away being very very careful not to loop the car it will all be worth the effort !!!!!! :roflmao:

Wheel dollies are great. I use the cheapo dollies from harbor freight. They are like $7 each and do pretty well beings these cars are light. I did have one of them take a dive on me and leave the bearing from one of the casters all over the place. I have a second on that I use for my body when it’s off. It’s just a modified harbor freight one too. Makes life some much easier.

One little bit at a time . . . .

Put a new battery in my little Nisan truck, since it's going to be an integral part of getting the engine off the front porch and into position on the slab to lift into the little car's chassis.

Put a new battery in the Harley and fixed the broken turn signal assembly that got busted in last year's hurricane Dorian, as well as a few other little minor issues. The new cover for it also got here, I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

Home depot had some small, (2 Amp) battery charger/maintainers on sale for half price, ($12.40) so I bought 3, that way I can have one for each vehicle that doesn't get used regularly

So now that I finally have a nice work surface, I set out to clean up the front porch that's somehow managed to accumulate all manner of house and build related gear and tid bits because I need the space to get the motor off the test-run-stand and back onto a smaller dolly so I can load it into my little truck to move it to the slab, where I can then mount the trans and then put the the engine/trans assembly into the chassis so I can get a measurement and order a driveshaft.

I ordered a new Engine Dolly from Summit, but it won't get here 'till next week, so in the meantime, I'll be getting everything ready so I can finally do my engine/trans install.
The dolly I already have, is a cheap piece of Chinese shiiit, from Amazon, and I could never get more than 1 forward bolt in each side, and only 1 out of 4 rear bell housing flange bolts would fit.
I do have a plan to re-purpose it with the forward motor mount extensions cut off so it will fit under the skid that the old, (too short) rear end housing is bolted to . . . that way I can roll it around to keep it out of the cherry picker's way while I put the new dolly under the little 632.

I still have the shop press and 1 more engine stand, (once I get the transmission off of it) to put in the storage space, so I'll be doing that in the next few days. The plan is to have everything ready to go once the new dolly from Summit gets here, . . . . . Which will also be about the time that the next couple of tropical storms, (Laura & Marco) will be here.

Gotta love trying to do stuff during the peak weeks of hurricane season . . . :(

A little progress and a little closer each week . . . . . and since starting today, we went back on "Stay at Home" Covid 19 status, it looks like I may have all the time I need to make notable progress.

A few pics of the big porch cleanup:

Porch Cleranup 1r.jpg Porch Cleranup 5r.jpg Porch Cleranup 2r.jpg Porch Cleranup 3r.jpg Porch Cleranup 4r.jpg Porch Cleranup 6r.jpg

Atta girl! :thumbsup: Each little step brings you a little closer to that day you take "DD" for her first drive! :D

My rear end dolly is a harbor freight furniture dolly with 3/4” plywood sides with notches to hold housing at ride height. Cheap and it works. I use same Dolly for my motor.

My rear end dolly is a harbor freight furniture dolly with 3/4” plywood sides with notches to hold housing at ride height. Cheap and it works. I use same Dolly for my motor.

No Harbor Freight anywhere nearby, but we did finally get a Homedepot a few years back, which has about the same kind of furniture dollies. Those suckers can come in mighty handy . . .

I have 1 under my smaller generator, 1 under the parts washer, and 1 to put under the transmission when I take it off the engine stand.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back