Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Northern Build Begins on my 26 T

Got a call from the State Patrol Trooper that will be doing the inspection, Discussed the car for close to 1/2 hour, He will stop by to view my Bucket prior to the inspection. He is unsure if Wisconsin will approve it for licensing, kept referring to rat rods. So will be going for a hobbyist plate and hope it gets classified as a street modified car or a Reconstructed vehicle.

It was interesting to hear Wisconsin will not title kit cars per this officer.

I will post any further information as found from his visit if needed in a new thread to keep any wisconsin builders informed.

Tom,

No fear, those coppers like to keep you feeling humble and like they are doing you an enormous favor if they pass it. I wish you the best of luck on it.

Corley

Got a call from the State Patrol Trooper that will be doing the inspection, Discussed the car for close to 1/2 hour, He will stop by to view my Bucket prior to the inspection. He is unsure if Wisconsin will approve it for licensing, kept referring to rat rods. So will be going for a hobbyist plate and hope it gets classified as a street modified car or a Reconstructed vehicle.

I will post any further information as found from his visit if needed in a new thread to keep any wisconsin builders informed.

Mine was titled as a reconstructed.

That's what I am thinking also what he mentioned. This Officer was also apologetic of the state system, He enjoys the older vehicles and sounded like he wants to help do the titling the correct way.

He shared his email so I could send him pictures and other information on the major components to look at. I am just missing bills of sale for a couple items.

The engine has a tag with the vin and the place it was purchased from, but was sold for use in a race car with no warranty, so no BOS with it. I purchased the frame with no SN as it was built in a shop.

I did send him pictures of a frame and body to help identify the year. One of the pictures had the body cut off behind the front seat as mine is and it is on an old frame. Google is great.

That's what I am thinking also what he mentioned. This Officer was also apologetic of the state system, He enjoys the older vehicles and sounded like he wants to help do the titling the correct way.

He shared his email so I could send him pictures and other information on the major components to look at. I am just missing bills of sale for a couple items.

The engine has a tag with the vin and the place it was purchased from, but was sold for use in a race car with no warranty, so no BOS with it. I purchased the frame with no SN as it was built in a shop.

I did send him pictures of a frame and body to help identify the year. One of the pictures had the body cut off behind the front seat as mine is and it is on an old frame. Google is great.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Washington State just passed the SEMA Law last week. So my build is full steam ahead now.

Tom,

I thought you might like to see my verison of your brake set up. I used the gas tank straps for mounting with two braces off of the firewall. Thanks for the idea it really cleans up the brake system and the floorboard. I hope it works as well as it looks.

Mike

Attachments

• SDC19019.jpg
    SDC19019.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SDC19025.jpg
    SDC19025.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 68
Tom,

I thought you might like to see my verison of your brake set up. I used the gas tank straps for mounting with two braces off of the firewall. Thanks for the idea it really cleans up the brake system and the floorboard. I hope it works as well as it looks.

Mike

I like the sideways MC setups. I'm running a reverse setup that also tucks the MC under the dash. I don't have a cowl vent to fill, so it is a bit of a challenge to fill fluid, but I have a system.
Bens2754.jpg

Tom: I haven't commented on your build yet, but I've been following closely. I really dig the project and your work and and speed on it has been fantastic. It gonna be a fun summer for ya!

I don't have a cowl vent to fill, so it is a bit of a challenge to fill fluid, but I have a system.

My guess a clear plastic bottle/or syringe with clear tube?

I don't have a cowl vent to fill, so it is a bit of a challenge to fill fluid, but I have a system.

My guess a clear plastic bottle/or syringe with clear tube?

Something pretty similar... I don't have to do it much thankfully. If I made the dash removable like others have done it would be a cinch...oh well!

both look well done, I used a funnel with a tube to fill mine as needed.

I am doing a couple things for the inspection and am back to work, so I was lucky to get mine pretty much done in my off work time.

I have taken it to a small show and collected my first place in rod and custom class.

both look well done, I used a funnel with a tube to fill mine as needed.

I am doing a couple things for the inspection and am back to work, so I was lucky to get mine pretty much done in my off work time.

I have taken it to a small show and collected my first place in rod and custom class.

Any upcoming shows you going to? Let me know

Any upcoming shows you going to? Let me know
I realize that this is an older post, but I'm from Wisconsin too and I'm curious as to how you came out with your inspection. This is an unfinished "T" I am dealing on. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...619&item=320730709771&viewitem=&category=6235 The owner doesn't have a title for it despite what he says in the ad. What will I need to get it titled? I know Wisconsin has some issues with titling rods. I have another street rod that I had some problems getting registered. Would the car have to meet all the specs like bumpers, emissions, etc., etc. From what I have read, pretty impossible to meet all the criteria and still have a hot rod. What components do I need receipts for and could I just have the present owner make out some receipts?
Sorry for all the questions, but from experience, I know this can be a real hassle.
Thanks, Tom

Just finishing a partial hood and making exhaust covers to run from the engine to the back of my header.

You will need a Vin number for all the major components, engine, transmission, frame, rear end, front axle, body or a bill of sale also. look at the dot site for registration.

Paperwork is MV1, MV2388, MV2673, MV2855 and read Trans 149, Stat 0347, SAN-2010-12 Title registration and code 305 for what is required.

If your car does indeed have a title it will be a little easier, but plan for a state inspection and they are watching for rats, kit cars and imports. On the Hobby plates. some require 2011 emission standards, air bags, etc. And it needs to be insured before the application will be accepted and the inspection.

I am applying for street modified and making the body look as close to the original year with the hood hiding my modern engine and the exhaust cover protecting the people from burns.

Exhaust noise is looked at. I am still not sure about fenders, but he did not mention them. Also the DMV looks at pictures first and they may turn cars down from them as I see on the Milwaukee Hot Rod web site from the radio station.

By the way tell your state reps to vote down Trans 149, if that just becomes law good luck with registering any car or truck prior to I think its 1975 or 65.

Just finishing a partial hood and making exhaust covers to run from the engine to the back of my header.

You will need a Vin number for all the major components, engine, transmission, frame, rear end, front axle, body or a bill of sale also. look at the dot site for registration.

Paperwork is MV1, MV2388, MV2673, MV2855 and read Trans 149, Stat 0347, SAN-2010-12 Title registration and code 305 for what is required.

If your car does indeed have a title it will be a little easier, but plan for a state inspection and they are watching for rats, kit cars and imports. On the Hobby plates. some require 2011 emission standards, air bags, etc. And it needs to be insured before the application will be accepted and the inspection.

I am applying for street modified and making the body look as close to the original year with the hood hiding my modern engine and the exhaust cover protecting the people from burns.

Exhaust noise is looked at. I am still not sure about fenders, but he did not mention them. Also the DMV looks at pictures first and they may turn cars down from them as I see on the Milwaukee Hot Rod web site from the radio station.

By the way tell your state reps to vote down Trans 149, if that just becomes law good luck with registering any car or truck prior to I think its 1975 or 65.
Thanks for that information. That all seems pretty hopeless. I had to send in pictures when I got Hobbyist plates for my 39 pickup, however, it's been radically changed since then and it probably won't meet their standards now. I haven't been stopped, but I don't drive it much either. I suppose I'm headed for trouble. How can you possibly build a car and have it meet 2011 emission standards? Air bags?Come on!
When did all of this start. Wisconsin was one of the first states with reasonable street rod laws. Guess we are sliding backwards. I see plenty of rats at shows as well as cars with open headers, etc. By the way, the law reads that pre 49 cars do not need fenders and exhaust only needs to have some kind of baffle. I wonder if they will be stopping Harleys too as most of them are running straight pipes.
I hadn't heard of Trans 149. I wonder where I can find more info on that.
Thanks, Tom

Thanks for that information. That all seems pretty hopeless. I had to send in pictures when I got Hobbyist plates for my 39 pickup, however, it's been radically changed since then and it probably won't meet their standards now. I haven't been stopped, but I don't drive it much either. I suppose I'm headed for trouble. How can you possibly build a car and have it meet 2011 emission standards? Air bags?Come on!
When did all of this start. Wisconsin was one of the first states with reasonable street rod laws. Guess we are sliding backwards. I see plenty of rats at shows as well as cars with open headers, etc. By the way, the law reads that pre 49 cars do not need fenders and exhaust only needs to have some kind of baffle. I wonder if they will be stopping Harleys too as most of them are running straight pipes.
Thanks, Tom

trans 149 link

Thanks, Tom
Just put on Milwaukee's website yesterday:
News Update: July 19th
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION MEETING NOTES
alertBar.jpg

Submitted by Curt Rymkus

I have been having regular meetings with Wisconsin DOT personnel. We have discussed the problems concerning the issuing of "HOBBYIST" license plate. The meetings have been productive and some of the past situations have been resolved, satisfactorily for the vehicle owners.

The meetings are ongoing and reflect a positive understanding, by DOT personnel, of our cars and our hobby.

There is no pending legislation that, is a threat to our hobby, at this time.

Thanks to everyone for the past and current support. I will do a regular posting on this site.

If, there are other issues with "HOBBYIST" license plates or title issues for "street modified" or "replica", contact me at:
wircdrhist@gmail.com

Pardon my number loss i should of mentioned Trans 132 not 149, If trans 132 is not voted down it becomes law.

The full post about this can be found here >>> http://www.wisconsinhotrodradio.com/NewsDOT1_2.html

Past News Update:
There are indications that, the federal government wants ALL COLLECTOR TYPE VEHICLES off the road.
September 17, 2010

alertBar.jpg

Submitted by Curt Rymkus

We need as much opposition to this legislation as possible.
There are indications that, the federal government wants ALL COLLECTOR TYPE VEHICLES off the road.

Supposedly, ch. TRANS 123 is directed at post 1968 non standard vehicles. In Wisconsin, your 1990 and earlier vehicle can qualify for a "COLLECTOR" license plate. How many vehicles in the 1968 to 1990 range are or can become COLLECTOR TYPE VEHICLES?"

Wisconsin DOT has successfully legislated vintage ex-military vehicles off the road for daily use.

Read the info from Senator Grothman's office and then, read the following stories about what is happening in California.

Senator Grothman along with others requested that the Senate Transportation Committee hold a public hearing on TRANS 123. As you may know the Assembly and Senate Transportation Committees WILL hold a public hearing next week. The details are below!!!

1. Please attend the public hearing and share your testimony with the committee. Bring 20 written copies of your testimony for the committee members. If you do not like this CLEARINGHOUSE RULE (CHR 09-044 - TRANS 123 is a rule not legislation) then you want the committee to reject the rule.
    1. Click here to read the RULE
  1. If you can’t make it to the hearing please submit written testimony to committee members prior to the meeting and ask that it be part of the official committee record.
    1. Assembly Transportation Committee Members
    2. Senate Transportation Committee Members
  1. Contact (email, call and visit) your own Legislators and ask them to advocate on behalf of you to the committee members.

This is your last chance to act! If the committee does not ask for changes or reject this rule it will become law.

Sincerely,

Regina Kolbow
Legislative Aide
Office of Senator Grothman
608-266-7513

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back