Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Northern Build Begins on my 26 T

gotta be one of THE most satisfying sounds when building
bi.gif

dave

The sound of music one day I will have to come up and see it.

Like seeing your first grandchild. Sounds like it should be facing 3 ambers and a green.
Gerry

I hope to wrap up the wiring this week. Right now I want to get everything mounted and primered to take it in for the inspection.
I found there is a shop here in Superior that the State Patrol comes to and does them.

Has anyone used a steering stabilizer? I have room to add one on the front drag link. Or any suggestions? I switched from the ball joints to 5/8 Heims.

Here are the front shock mounts with the top plate added and in primer.
FrontSchocks1.jpg

The corvair box mounted.
CorvairBox1.jpg

The front drag link in position, the post needs shortening.
FrontDragLink1.jpg

Here is the box in primer with tail light. Will get more photos later today with my Camera, these are from the Phone.
BoxPrimered1.jpg

Looks great actually gonna be in superior next weekend but in a boyscout bus. So probably can't just swing over.

We have tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, hi/low beams, yabba dabba dooooooo, now for the horn and wiper wires, and more odds and ends. Run out of connectors so its time for a run to the store.. More painting and attach the radiator shroud. then the floor goes back in... Getting to sound like a honey-do list!!

More phone Pics, But soon I will be rolling the Bucket outside. Just to get past the Blizzard that is predicted starting tuesday with 8" of snow, Yea right.

Here is a Pic of the Battery mount location under the passanger seat.
Battery1.jpg

A Pic of the dash and master cyl location, primering the linkage then it gets put back in and the dash will be bolted in.
BrakeMS1.jpg

Pic from the other side of the dash
Dash1.jpg

Front view of the drag link
DragLinkF1.jpg

Drag link from the back
DragLinkR1.jpg

Front end with turn signals, headlights, and grille shield in place, need to find some mesh
Frontend1.jpg

View from the passenger front
PSFC1.jpg

View from the Passenger rear
PSRC1.jpg

Close up of each shock mount I did leave an extra mount hole to angle the shocks more if they turn out too stiff.
ShockP1.jpg

ShockD1.jpg

I have to fess up on attempting to again order from Howells Sheetmetal.
I ordered a new seat back jan 27 for the touring body after I did the same last Oct/Nov. They love to not answer their phone or answer emails also. I emailed Ryan and kept asking when they would have the part ready this time. Finally he said they just made 40. I ordered one and asked for a tracking number when it was shipped. Then a week later I called and He gave me a ups tracking number and said it shipped Feb 8. well if you look at it the tracker says item not submitted to UPS. So after turning in a claim to UPS they tracked it and did not find a package. So 2 months later it is still not resolved and I now will be forced to attempt to perform some more sheet metal repair. and no money back either.

I did file a complaint with the BBB, and to no-ones surprise he has not answered that. I am about ready to Fly down and do my best to not blow my top.

Good stuff. Bet your getting excited, I would be.

Gerry

Howells has now canceled my order and refunded my money.
The BBB asked if I am satisfied with the resolve. I replied I am not satisfied with the lack of communication and the lies to UPS that he gave the items to them for shipping.
Enough on Howells.

The project is feeling like its winding down. I mounted the dash in place and made some changes to the steering column, mainly shortened the column. I will complete that in a couple days, Took the dash back down to make it easier to mount the windshield now that I painted the uprights and the frame. Now to carefully slide the rubber in the bottom slot and install it back on the Bucket. Found some punched mesh for the grille, now to fit that up. I adjusted the emergency brake cables and pulled the ball end off one side, so fix that. It was crimped and the instructions say to weld
helmetsmile.gif
the end to the cable (should the manufacturer do that? go figure).

Over the next few days I need to fit the back panel and repair the upper broken corners with some 20 GA. Make 2 small panels to fill in the bottom at the back. and modify the front seat bottom panel to fit. Need foam and material to make the seats. Also needed is to get the rear axle straight to the front and square the front axle, then I have a friend that will 4 wheel align the bucket for a 12 pack. Hope to get that done next week. Could this be time for a trip around the block? Hope so. It will also be time for a few shots of the Bucket not in the shop.

My thanks to everyone for their support, viewing the project and where needed helping with seen issues during this build. Over all I have a couple weeks left for the completion of the build, but we all know you see things that will need to change or better ways to try it.

I am also a newbie member T11-2978 in the NTBA

Tom by chance do you still have the plenum and fuel rail for the ls motor Dwight

Hi Tom, You are making great headway, this should be a very fun ride... I see where the pitman arm is in a stock form and hanging the drag link out farther than it needs to be.. I would raise the steering bow and straighten out the pitman arm, this would let the drag link clear the radius rod, up a bit and give you a bit more of a turning radius to the left... Sorry I did not notice this before when you were working in that area, you probably have things all done in that area now, but, still easier to change now than later... just my thoughts on that :) you will cuss it every time you go to park later, if you don't change it...

Dwight, No it got tossed back in sept when I got the engine.

Ted, I have full stop to stop steering. There is enough clearance that the brake hose will not touch the radius arm or the drag link. Plus it has not been tightened or the stub trimmed yet. My current goal is get it finished for the inspection, then I will have more time to change anything as it goes.So far today I have the dash in and tight this time and am finishing the steering column and linkage. Next is tighten all the loose bolts so it can once again be lowered to the floor and get the axles close for the 12 pack alignment next week.

Tom,
I also used Howells and could not get what I wanted, can't remember all that was wrong with my order but I ended up at MAC's and they took great care of me and the parts were great. Your T is really coming togather. Looks great :kiltdance:

View from the back corner
ReallyClose.jpg

Dash and steering in place, windshield primered and installed
Dashandsteering.jpg

The air cleaner is on the engine
AirCleaner.jpg

I may be having visions but I might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. still hoping to get it out of the garage next week.

always fun when you reach this point of the build... Good luck,, And keep up the great work...

Tom, car is looking really good! You seem to have been pretty quick with the build, so I have to ask, which has given you more pleasure, the build itself or the completed product? Also it looks that you sit down in the passenger area really nicely, are there any thoughts for a tight fitting top w/ side curtains? Maybe a heater?

Keep up the good work, John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back