Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Northern Build Begins on my 26 T

Completed the Grille guard yesterday, fixed a gas leak, modified the floor metal to accept the steering shaft and a few other odds n ends. I must of got the wrong dipstick with the transmission. I start it and let it run for a bit on jack stands then check the trans. When I add enough to get to the bottom of the full mark it tosses it all out on the floor. I did get a locar dipstick to install but am still using the long stick that came with this trans.

8a.jpg
12.jpg

Tom, I would caution you on installing a screen that might block air flow thru thru radiator. If you take the combined square inches of the screen and subtract that from the radiator's front square inches, you might find that you are losing anywhere from 10% to 25% of the air flow thru the radiator. This has been proven with oil sump pick ups (especially when they get a little gunked up). This might be something to look into if, during the summer, it runs a little (or a lot) hot. Or, if on the freeway it starts to warm up instead of cooling down. Would like to see a better picture of the screen. Might not be as restrictive as I imagined. Might also be worse.

John

John, here is a small section with a tape measure. I ran the engine today after changing the thermostat, ended up with a 185(stock unit for silverado). After running for 20 minutes the housing of the thermostat was 185-188 on the pump side and the lower hose was still cool to the touch around 89 degrees. The radiator was warm half way down. This water pump runs backwards on the LS. This allows heat faster but I capped the heater outlets. I took the temps with a digital reader. I do have a reverse direction mechanical fan right now. My water temp gauge is reading 250 and the sender adapter reads 195. Might have to a tap job on the head and try a different sender.
holesgrille.jpg

My old HHR hood that was replaced after a deer hit will be used to repair the back of the front seat..
SlayerHood.jpg

I am down to adjusting the axles, transmission linkage and starting the interior now that the floor is back in.

More work done, seatback now installed and ran a Pvc pipe along the top edge to round the top and put the interior fabric over. aligned the rear axle, front is close. One sheet metal left for the front edge of the seat, then cut the bottom board. Time to start applying the sound deadening material to the floor and body. Still on target to Get-er-Out after the storms are done Wed.

I installed one of my door decals yesterday.
23.jpg

Looking great I think you have a little time we got another 2 inches of snow today.

Sound material (Gutter sealer) applied. The doors got filled with foam.
100_4471.jpg

100_4478.jpg

100_4476.jpg

100_4475.jpg

Testing the seat arrangement
Toms26TAA.jpg

Change it time. Happens sometimes. Need to lower the bottom seats and move the back back a bit. 2" of foam for the back and 3 or 4 for the bottom depending if I move the battery.
That decal is looking really good, If there is another set in the future, it will be darkened up a little more. To look more faded.

Looking really good. Shame the snow has put your 1st drive back a few days. Any chance of a video of THAT moment when you drive it out of the workshop with a big smile on your face?
Gerry

Well the snow and rain is just got me going on finishing the seats and interior. I was going to drive it with just the boards in place. I am changing the seats from the picture to separate bottoms that I am lowering more. The bottoms will have 4 inches of foam and the back will be 2". Got some high density foam that is for seats. 4526 from Rochford Supply. Video, Well heck yea, I want that moment of the first start to drive it. I plan to push it out of the small shop it's in first.

More progress.
Headers have high temp paint now. The extensions also but are left off for interior access.
34.jpg

Interior work is down to the seat cushions and floor covering.
40.jpg

Call the seats - Dun, picked up the floor covering tonight.
100_4486.jpg

100_4488.jpg

The engine unveiled.
100_4484.jpg

Hmm, light at the end of the tunnel I see.
100_4497.jpg

Thanks to the snow storm on the way, I hope to get it out Sunday or Monday for some good pictures.

Hey Tom
Whens the start date for the next one?
Gerry

Hoping to catch you before you had seat bases done. I think the heated elements that go in the seat base is a good idea for at least the passengers side women get cold you know.

Carpet installed, call the interior - DUN!!
49.jpg

Now for the once over to double check the bolts and any missing bare metal with the primer and the satin black. As soon as the mud hole in front of the garage drys up I will get the famous finished photos and the drive around the block video.

I found the light at the end of the tunnel and it says "EXIT"!

Here are some finished photos for now, I plan on finding a good place for some shots later and a short video. But for now I can say the major items and the main look is done. Thanks for watching the progress of my build of the UP Nort 26T. My next task is the State inspection and Plates.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions during the build, Even if I am a mechanical designer and a marine diesel mechanic by trade in the Coast Guard the vast knowledge you gain when building a T-bucket is exciting to say the least. Would I build the next one the same way someday, no I will change it suspension wise to try something different. Being from Up Nort, it would be an enclosed body build with heat. The seats on this one may get a remake and this time it will get the heated pads in the seats. I would of not liked to screw up the pads with my first upholstery attempt.

New member of the NTBA #T11-2978

Toms26tFR03.jpg

Toms26tPF01-1.jpg

Toms26tDF01.jpg

Toms26tRear.jpg

Tom,

Hell of a good job there! Now stop thinking about building another one, and start thinking about good weather and lot's of cruising in this one! I sure wish I had the drive to get things done on the timeline you work to!!! (Read: I'm jealous!)

Corley

Great looking bucket! HEY WHERE IS YOUR WHITE STUFF/SNOW? My sister got 9 inches of snow in Green Bay

Well even the snow that did hit here was gone the next day, like they say the lake turns the storms away.

Besides, the 40 giant 4 foot diameter Menards fans help keep the weather south of here. or like to say to the south and east, FREE SHIPPING!!

Got all my paperwork done and sent so now comes the state inspection and then the wait for the plate. I guess close to 6 to 8 weeks before I can drive it around town.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back