Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Thoughts on build for a large person

hutchman

I'm in the thinking stage again and as a very large person, 6' 8", I need something other than a standard 23T. The Wintec Roadster appears to be the best bet for me, but I don't really want a channeled car. So I'm looking for feedback on my thoughts....what about a highboy Wintec Roadster?

Was going to post a picture, but not enough posts yet....anyway.....

My reasons for a highboy are I like the looks and more room for me. Did I mention I am a larger person? I think this would help with the sitting in rather than sitting on problem I am going to have with most any body style.

So what are some of your thoughts? And if this is in the wrong forum, please move it! Thanks!

You should look at that stretched body from Ron Pope at RPM (One of our sponsors)!

Your seats are the biggest problem when sitting on instead of in a Bucket as well as how they tilt towards the back. Any body can be made to be comfortable this way of doing it. Stretch bodies and the Phaeton will give you the most leg room in length. Call any of the sponsors here and they will tell you the best options.

Stop thinking and drop the cash to get started and have fun at it-- for you aren't getting any younger!!

My first wife was 6'11"

I'm in the thinking stage again and as a very large person, 6' 8",

I'm 6'2" but I still needed the extra room for my long legs (66 years don't make it easier either). I stretched my Speedway body 18" behind the door and have the bottom rear of my seat right on the floor. The body is not channeled either so that gives me another 3" of inside body height. The extra length in the cockpit lets me lean the seat angle back (I'm not planning a back seat) more like a sports car arrangement rather than upright like a pick-up truck. The biggest challenge so far has been finding enough room on the floor for my size 13s. I hope you can find a solution. T roadsters are a total BLAST!

Here's what I did: I made a 1/4 scale figure of myself, cardboard with movable joints, then made a scale view of the cockpit:
2013%2Bmods%2B001.jpg

Then fit the figure into the cockpit, and designed the seating. I used office chairs mounted to a wooden box:
seat%2Bbox%2B77.JPG

I tried different tilts and heights until it felt good. The body is a CCR stretch version. I have the same foot problem you do. Wish I had a great idea there. My left foot goes to the left of steering column. I left out the hump to get more room, and kinda like the exposed tranny:
P1020603.JPG

I'm thinking about a front wheel drive engine/trans behind the driver. I can cut out the firewall and run my legs all the way to the radiator! When I get the mock-up to see if it doesn't look stupid I'll share! John

image.jpg

This is the 10" stretched body I got from RPM. If you are Doing it high boy style so you don't have a driveshaft hump, and as Ron said move the engine up a couple inches, you would have plenty of room even at your height. Floor would be almost completely flat. Run a cowl steering setup and you get rid of the steering column issues altogether. With a flat floor you can do your seat very low and be still be IN it. I think it's very do-able.

I'm pretty sure the body is 58" firewall to back of the body. Give RPM a buzz.

Mine is channeled 3" (Spirit stretched) and has no significant hump. I can stretch my legs out straight and not touch the firewall, but you are a full foot taller than me...

View attachment 10615

This is the 10" stretched body I got from RPM. If you are Doing it high boy style so you don't have a driveshaft hump, and as Ron said move the engine up a couple inches, you would have plenty of room even at your height. Floor would be almost completely flat. Run a cowl steering setup and you get rid of the steering column issues altogether. With a flat floor you can do your seat very low and be still be IN it. I think it's very do-able.

I'm pretty sure the body is 58" firewall to back of the body. Give RPM a buzz.

I really like the way yours looks.....do you have a build thread. I really wonder how the Wintec Roadster body would look on your frame? I wish I still has access to Photoshop!

I really like the way yours looks.....do you have a build thread. I really wonder how the Wintec Roadster body would look on your frame? I wish I still has access to Photoshop!

Don't need Photoshop, just a ruler and a welder plus a vivid imagination to have a DREAM car.

I like the stretched body , But the rear engine sounds better. I wish I had more room in my 27 but its a steel body so I couldn't see cutting it and stretching out. Keep us posted on what you decide.

I like the Centerline style wheels....I've always liked them. I think that body probably would work too, but I still see the Wintec Roadster as an alternative.

On a related note, I scored a Model A today for some parts and will sell the rest. Hope to get what I'm using from it for free.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back