Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Timing for 350 Chevy SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I got this wrong? I was thinking degrees of timing referred to the total cycle, say from one compression stroke to the next. Now I seem to remember that it means the actual crank travel (one revolution). I just looked at my own HB and it appears to agree with the latter. Eight degrees on the 6.5" balancer looks like approximately 1/2". Sorry, I've been away from all this too long... :confused:

Jack

You had me worried Jack - - - two revolutions ?????

Yeah, one guy says they are for hemi engines only wit straight in spark plug holes - - angled holes can bend the shaft - - that is unless maybe you engineer in a mini roller on the tip ????? Nahw . . . .
Yes, that is for where the spark plug is alot more vertical to the bore than a reg. Chevy.
If you have the valve cover off, look at the intake and exhaust valves for #1, they will both be closed, look into the plug hole with a pen light. NO, DON'T PUT IT IN THE HOLE! Shine it in there from a little ways away, you'll see the piston. As you turn the motor over by hand, right after the intake valve closes, you look into the bore, the piston should be on the compression stroke coming up to TDC, if your on your game, you should look at the Harmonic Balancer and see your timing mark, if your on the compression cycle.
90% of my work is done on the engine stand, 10% is tuning and troubleshooting in the car....race car that is. Its really not that hard, but I do this day in and day out....

...you should look at the Harmonic Balancer and see your timing mark, if your on the compression cycle.
The mark on the balancer will line up with the timing cover index on both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke. However, the plug only fires on the compression stroke. This means it's not necessary to pull the rocker cover or look at the valves to know whether the TDC he's looking at is on the compression stroke. He only needs to pull the distributor cap and note that the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug terminal.

Jack

Last edited:
The mark on the balancer will line up with the timing cover index on both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke. However, the plug only fires on the compression stroke. This means it's not necessary to pull the rocker cover or look at the valves to know whether the TDC he's looking at is on the compression stroke. He only needs to pull the distributor cap and note that the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug terminal.

Jack
I was saying IF he had the valvecover off, and ON the compression stroke. This ain't my first squaredance.
Just trying to make it easy on the guy. Theres several ways to check the timing....
We now need to wait till he gets it timed and see if his problem is cured....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back