Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tire pressure

Bagman

Just curious what some of you are running for air pressure in your radials. I am down to 26 front and rear on mine. Still feel i could go a little lower. No driveability issues just feel i may be able to soften the ride more.

I used to run 26 on the front and 28 on the rear. That's about as low as I'd go. If you dropped it anymore, you'd never feel the difference, but it will reduce the life of your tires. That's MY experience with tire pressure.

As long as I keep the fronts at 35 psi, I don't have any problems with the wheels
bouncing. The backs I'm running at 12 psi, could go lower and don't think you
could tell by looking. I just don't want the tires turning on the rims under hard
acceleration. I've marked the rims and tires and no problem yet.

OP, what size tires are you running?

Wow! 205 in the front. 26 may be too low. I'm really not sure. I ran 165/15's. Old VW tire size.

Too soft and they may want to bounce or wobble on you. How stiff are your springs? Any chance of removing a leaf to soften the ride?

Currently not having any driveability issues. Unknown spring stiffness. The ride isnt bad. Just mainly wondered what everyone was running for tire pressure. At 32 i could definitely feel the hardness of the tires. Ran 28 then dropped to 26. Didnt really plan on going any lower. These dang cars are so light i figured you could go with a little less pressure.hell at 26 psi my tires are still a tad rounded at the tread

So what is the purpose of running the so low.

Well my thinking on this is when the tires are inflated too much it gives you an unnecessary rough ride. On my car when i ran 32 lbs in my tires and drove some of these crappy roads around here it just seemed to rough. Dropping a few lbs made a big difference.
An example is, i live on a dirt road and it gets washboarded. In my truck with no weight in the bed it slides around etc. On my car being so light and with higher pressure it would feel similar on rough roads. Dropping the pressure a few lbs made the tires stay in contact with the road.

Another way i was thinking about this, and i could be way wrong. If my tires max inflate on sidewall is 44lbs and the tire is rated for 1660 lbs at that pressure, that gives you 37 lbs of weight carrying for each lb of pressure. If i run 26 lbs in my tires it gives me 962 lbs of weight carrying cappacity per tire.
Like i said, i could be way wrong on this thinking.

I'm running MT sportsman 31x16R15 on the rear and MT sportsman 26x6R15 front. Most of our cars are close to the same weight except for difference us full figured gentleman may add. So what psi would you suggest as a starting point?

I asked MT about recommended pressure on my T with 29 x 18 x 15s and they said about 12 psi and adjust.

It looks like, in the end, all you can do is see what works best for you and your car. Too many variables for a definite conclusion.

If you think about it, there is a direct corolation between weight and pressure. Also side wall height and construction. It would be very difficult to put a generic number to accommodate the variables. Trial and error seems like the best option. There is likely data available to account for the vehicle weight/psi ratio, but I don't know where to locate it right off. Goodyear states that running a tire 20% under inflated mandates dismount and inspection by a "qualified trained" technician, but there was no mention of vehicle weight in relation to inflation. I presume they are referring to tires that are being loaded to their load range. Out of curiosity I looked on line, there are many manufacture sites with related info, but I didn't see anything definitive right off.

I've still got 2 sets of coil springs from trying to find the right set that ended up on my old T Bucket. Sometimes, ya gotta play around and see what happens.

That's what SHE said!:D

I've still got 2 sets of coil springs from trying to find the right set that ended up on my old T Bucket. Sometimes, ya gotta play around and see what happens.

That's what SHE said!:D
Right, and with tire pressure, you may have to run lower PSI with no passenger and on certain roads, and a bit higher with a passenger or on freeways, etc... Sort of like tuning Holley carbs, depends on the weather, lol!

I suppose you would also have to consider expansion rates, the car in my avatar (2450 lbs) we would run 8 psi in the tires but after an 8 lap heat race (3/8 mile track) the pressure increase was 3-4 psi, a huge diff in handling characteristics, perhaps even a contributor to the T's fishy front ends. surely there is disproportional expansion on a street tire as heat builds up? Of course if you air with nitrogen, no worries

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back