Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Trailer Question

I did not look for the China or US part, but did find I ended up with 8 ply, D rated, steel belted radial. They put 50lbs in them, but I read that you need to run max inflation, which is 60 on these tires. Any thoughts on the inflation?

I found that my trailer tire pressures could increase more than 5lbs. from the cold setting thereby being over inflated as they heat up when going down the road. I've had numerous blowouts because of this. I also discovered that the date codes on the tires were very old, even when I had bought them. I highly suggest that you check the date codes when you purchase them.

Jim

Just got back from Tucson ... Fred's Fun Run and the trailer pulled great with no issues after I got the hangers cut off and rewelded and put new tires on it. My gas mileage increased by 2 mpg with the axle alignment fixed. The old tires were load rated C ... not D like I was thinking they were and they were made in China ... cheap! The new ones I put on are load rated D and I had them inflated to 65 psi. I checked the tires at every gas and pit stop during the 1960 mile trip and they were not even warm to the touch. I think my trailer issue is fixed ... now if I can just get the trailer maker to pay for the repairs and at least a pro-rated part of the tires.

Give em hell Milt and they will pay I bet..........Great to spend a couple days with you two on a FUN RUN for sure......Thanks for being there...

Mike

I found that my trailer tire pressures could increase more than 5lbs. from the cold setting thereby being over inflated as they heat up when going down the road. I've had numerous blowouts because of this. I also discovered that the date codes on the tires were very old, even when I had bought them. I highly suggest that you check the date codes when you purchase them.

Jim
Jim how are those tires now? New and up to date I hope!

Jim how are those tires now? New and up to date I hope!

All four are BRAND NEW. Two have 0ne hundred miles on them ( because of problems on the way back from the NSRA Southeast Nationals in Tampa) and the other two have ZERO miles on them because I replaced them after I got home. It is ready for you to pick up and tow back to Ohio.

Jim

P.S. My trailer is as close to new as possible. Anybody that knows me knows that I'm a nut at keeping my stuff in great shape.

This is a little off subject, but worth passing along. I know the solution and will not get bit again. Wife and I made a trip in the 2010 Lincoln. It was ready for an oil change when I got home. After doing the oil and checking out things while on the lift, thought I would check the tire pressure. To my surprise all 4 showed 20 lbs and I have low tire pressure sensor system. I aired them up to the recommended 35 lbs. Got educated on the LTPS and checked the pressure with another gauge. Yep, 45 lbs. I corrected that and did a gauge comparison. Bad gauge, reading 15 lbs low. These are the lttle round gauges the fast auto parts places sell with the Victor name. I bought one for each vehicle. I checked one of the others and the needle on it sometimes caught on the screws in the face and held the needle on 30 lbs. I don't have to tell you the solution, but thought you might need reminding, measuring twice, cut once, still holds water.

Every tire shop I have talked to said all trailer tires are made in China. Even the Goodyears look exactly like the Chinese brand Triangle (sp??). When I bought 4 more tires on Friday that fellow told me that Goodyear sold their molds to some Chinese company several years ago and there is nothing available that is made in the USA. I have also heard from a lot of people that trailer tires only last 4 years then they need to be replaced because they start blowing apart. Make you feel like you are really saving money with the whole chinese invasion when you have thousands of dollars damage due to a cheap exploding tire.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back