Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Train the Trainer

estesken

Hi All, About time for school to start. I started back Monday and trying to get things in order. Mockup in the middle shop is a distraction from by normal startup routine. I dont know about the student but, their instructor is getting excited.
Have been colleting a few parts over the summer and lurking around this Forum. I think I know just enough to get started. The automotive class is starting with a mixed class of about 40 Jr., Sr. and 10 or 11 adults. The Welding, Farm Industrial and Auto Collusion Classes will also be involved with this project.
Thought I would list the major parts I have and need to get, So you can make comments and suggestions as to what Ive missed and where to get them.

CCR/Youngster Plans- have both
Body- Spirit 1923-T deluxe Body w/working door along with windshield post and tall frame and a shell.
Interior- likely Spirit
Top- likely Spirit
Frame- Found source 2x3 3/16 square tubing and 1in seamless for radius Rods.
Engine- Complete 5.7 w/tbi, harness and processor, out of a donor 93 Chevy P/U
Trans- 700r out of a 80s vintage caprice students need to rebuild
Shifter- Need
Frt Spring- likely CCR or Speedway
Frt Axle & pin bosses - 2in tube bent in the right places by one of our forum sponsors ( Students will weld up)
Spindles Chevy ( need pins, brackets, rotors, calipers and the like)
Fnt spring- need to get
Steering box- Corvair W/smooth shaft
Column- Have two from donors. Think I want to do something different.
Radiator- need (at the bash someone suggested a modified mustang)
Rear Axle- Two S-10s 1- 4.10 and 1- unknown
Rear coilovers- need ?
Wheels and tires- Donor for the time being
Brake System- rotors in the frt- drum in the rear.
Heims and Clevises and the like- Need Likely Speedway
Add To List

Pics and videos will come as things develop. Lee and some Cowtowns have said they would come up and show off their cars and maybe help direct this project a little.

Thank for everyones help.

Well you can make your own spring from a 46-48 ford if you like, any coil springs will work (mounted in the right location) they for sure need shocks. You said 1" tube for radius rods, what wall, mim..188 you can also use a stock floor shifter from any Chevy... don't buy more than you have to, use and modify stock parts as much as possable.. 4 bar bushings are much better than clevises and heims when used for the radius rods...I really like using a stock T column, cut to correct length... just me here :) build safe...

I have a set of chrome sb Chevy sprint style headers and turn outs as well as a Lokar shifter I swapped out of my bucket this spring. If you are interested let me know where to send them.

Thanks for the offer, but I’m not comfortable taking a donation like this. The car will be financed by me, built by the Students to promote our students learned skills and the school’s programs. Car will be in school colors but, I’ll be the owner and doing the promoting. I think it will be a fun project that will help motivate some students. If the members of this forum have or run across reasonable priced parts that I’ll need and I can afford to pay for, please let me know what there worth. my contact information at www.grtsauto.org or email at estesken@grts.org .

Played hooky yesterday and drove the 300 miles to Spirit to picked up our body windshield frame and post. I have to say the whole crew is a great bunch of folks.
Here is a pic
Aug132009-VID00006_1.jpg

It looks like the paint sniffing fellow from the other end of the school has been investigating the side of it.
Share this link to invite others to add annotations
[ame]

dovehunter79 said:
Rear coilovers- need ?

140-175....

Thanks Man but I do not have a clue what you are telling me. Ihaven't done any research on coilovers yet. Is this lbs of spring pressure?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back