Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tube axle IFS?

This type of front end is basically what got the Corvair in trouble. It was the rear suspension on the Corvair got Ralph Naders panties in a wad. It is a swing axle type of configuration. The problem came in hard cornering. The tire contact on the ground and the axle pivot point that was higher led to the point that it could have a tendency to act as a lever and jack the car over on that side. I know that isn't a very good explanation. The Fatman version does have one advantage over the Corvair, the inner pivot point is closer to the center of the car and closer to the ground. That lowers the angle of attack of the jacking effect. The camber change problem is still a definite minus.

Here is a little food for thought:

IFSGreen.jpg
Your "food for thought" is very tastey and I think it illustrates what I am saying. The illustration shows the front suspension in a loaded or normal ride height position. At full suspension travel, say 6 in., at the either end of travel you will have bind. But in the middle, where the car would normally reside, is there bind? Couldn't one double suspension travel (again from the normal 2 in. of solid axle travel to 4 in. of split axle travel) and realize an improvement? I know that suspension movement is important (understatement), and that an improvement within parameters of known suspension travel is still a benefit. Ma & Pa T have a R&P steering set up that works because it is it is installed properly and it works within the parameters of 2 in. suspension movement.
As for your illustration, ever thought of telescoping upper control arms? Also, wouldn't the steering arms have to raised on the spindle to clear the lower bar of the four bar and fit between the frame rails and the lower bar? Would you use R&P? Just noticed, torsion bar.

John

For all the troubles of this split tube axle, I don't see any added comfort making it a viable alternative to solid I-Beam or tube axle.

My car handles like a sports car as it is and even though it is a little to heavily sprung in the front, I've ridden in a few solid axle cars that are almost Caddy-like.

Ever seen a Slammed Swing Axle VW? Take a look at the rear tires.

3221093784_057edbd2f6.jpg

That's an extreme example, but it shows what the tire does as the suspension moves.

The inside of the tire will wear out rather quickly.

Setup on the T bucket to minimize excessive tire wear would entail you predicting weight distribution properly. You'd need to set it up for driver only, then driver and passenger, then driver and heavier passenger, etc. All to keep the tires from wearing out, keep component wear minimized, etc.

P.I.T.A.

Not worth it just to be different.

If you want a nice IFS setup, then do it properly. It has been done several times and it does work.

Check these out from way back in the early '70s.

4669253007_07ebae8c38.jpg

4669253077_0a5a4ba719.jpg

Not extremely radical but I like the way it almost appears to be a four bar type of setup from the side.

and another radical example from way back in the early '70s...

4669876544_0a1e5f5fb5.jpg

4669876554_254aa2de31.jpg

4669876572_fa65023cfe.jpg

4669876580_ca759454d8.jpg

Back to the VW swingaxle for a moment - the design was later changed to the IRS setup, and those bugs can be slammed without the excessive camber issue of the swingaxle bugs.

If the solid axle is set up properly and not oversprung, there really is no need to split it and create more issues.

Back to the VW swingaxle for a moment - the design was later changed to the IRS setup, and those bugs can be slammed without the excessive camber issue of the swingaxle bugs.

If the solid axle is set up properly and not oversprung, there really is no need to split it and create more issues.

Those twin I beams were fine on dirt/off road, as tire wear was then not much of an issue, or any other road adjustment for that matter. :) Russ, I got home at 2:30 Thursday afternoon, left Or. at 4AM but there was a lot of traffic all the way home, that SUCKS!! :)

T-odd: I've seen your car somewhere and have pics of it. How does it handle and ride?

Northstar: Thank you! For 15 years I've been using my bucket as a test bed for ideas, to try something that might work better or at least be different. Buckets are about individuality; I don't want a kit car or one that looks generic.

Grant: send me your email. I have the new distributor.

I plan to run the IFS with my existing transverse spring, 4-bars and R&P. I also have plans for hidden shocks, ride height adjusters and steering dampers, all of which will be revealed when the mood hits me.

It is true I remember doing alignment on the ford trucks and vans Is was a combination of the camber changing on the swing.Thy also had a problem keeping the toe correct as one axle would travel this changed the toe angle.Causing tire wear.

My build buddy has a 24 Tub that we imported from texas. It is yellow with brown full fenders and was a Show winner in its time. The front end is a split axle. It runs from either side to the MIDDLE of the frame. One side is 'kicked forward so that both parts use the same centre pivot. I will try and get some pictures. Car runs a genuine Cobra motor and a JAG IRS and drives very well. Its a bit cramped and the brakes are definitely old school but I never had a scary moment with it. Its uner a tarp at the monet where its been for a few years
Gerry

T-odd: I've seen your car somewhere and have pics of it. How does it handle and ride?

Northstar: Thank you! For 15 years I've been using my bucket as a test bed for ideas, to try something that might work better or at least be different. Buckets are about individuality; I don't want a kit car or one that looks generic.

Grant: send me your email. I have the new distributor.

I plan to run the IFS with my existing transverse spring, 4-bars and R&P. I also have plans for hidden shocks, ride height adjusters and steering dampers, all of which will be revealed when the mood hits me.
A dreamer ... a moody dreamer. An observation.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back