Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tube Frame Track T

Very true, guilld. I have a soft-side tool bag in my coupe. I carry a full set of SAE and metric sockets, 3/8-drive ratchet, extensions, SAE and metric combination wrenches, assorted screw drivers, pliers, wire cutters, vise grips, and a hammer. The whole thing is smaller than a shoe box!:thumbsup:

Mean green, I just finished reading your thread and it goes without saying, i'm very interested in your build, It's vey close to what i've been rolling around in my head for quite some time.
You have pretty much nailed it. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great, hopefully I can get back to work and get mine ready for the road this spring. What type of steering box are you using?

Thanks, TrackT. The steering box is a manual unit from a 1985 Ford Ranger pickup. The cool thing about the Ranger boxes is they already work the correct direction without having to be "reversed". The down side is they require a mount that would be ugly if mounted outside where visible. In this case the mount is up under the cowl and out of sight. You can see how I extended the sector shaft here: http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/30400-another-build-thread-yep-my-track-style-t-15.html :cool:

I spent all day Saturday changing the ring and pinion in my 8-inch Ford rear end. It fought me every step of the way.:confused: The right rear axle was stuck in the housing which necessitated renting a puller. Then I had a fight getting the "chunk" out of the housing because of those stupid copper washers (installed at the factory when the rear end was assembled) on the bottom six studs. Next, the yoke was stuck on the pinion and I had to use another puller to get it off. Finally, I was able to change the ring and pinion and reassemble everything. It only took about 1/3 of the time to put everything together as it did to get it apart... Anyway, I switched fron 2.79 to a 3.55 ratio. What a difference! Now I can use all 5 gears (instead of only the first 3) and launch is much improved.:thumbsup::D

You realize those "stupid copper washers" are there to seal the bolts , right? I hope you replaced w/new otherwise they will seep grease !
dave

Thanks for the concern, Dave, but not to worry. I know what their intended purpose is, but mostly they just complicate third member removal when they get smashed into the threads like these were.:mad: It took at least 30 minutes of prying and picking with a rigid putty knife and some pliers to remove them. No, I didn't replace them; I've been building 8-inch and 9-inch Ford rear ends for years (Chevy, Pontiac, and Olds before that), I always trash those washers, and I've never had a leakage or seepage problem. I use silicone sealer when installing the "chunk" in the housing and that takes care of it while also making future removal easier.:thumbsup:

Reactions: RPM
Wow, Tea Boy, your T went through quite a transformation. Frankly, I like it a lot better now, but I'm partial to Track-Ts.:thumbsup:

I would love to have one of those Daimler V-8s, but they are scarce as hen's teeth on this side of the pond. They look like a miniature Chrysler Hemi and sound like a small-block Chevy.:D There used to be one that ran in a midget race car here back in the early '80s. When it was wound up you could hear it above all the other 4-cylinder cars. Even if I could find one of those I couldn't afford the parts - scarce and big $$$.:rolleyes:

I checked out that utube link on the Daimler V8 in UK dragster...nice. Since it is so hard to get how about a retired 4 cylinder Offy!
Your car came out great. I hope we will have our Electric 27 T running in just a few days.
The kids and adults at school love the Track T nose.
Your car would put a smile on my Dad's face he love sprints and midgets.

Lee

Hi Lee,
An Offy would certainly be a nice piece to have, but would probably cost several times what the Daimler would cost!:speechless:

On another subject, there's an Electrathon race at Hillsborough Community College on Nov 16. I'll be there with two cars...:thumbsup:

I haven't been on this thread much in a while. I've been busy driving my roadster, but not really doing anything to it. Well, that's finally changed; I spent the last week painting it! The paint scheme is loosely based on A.J. Foyt's 1964 Indy 500 winning Watson roadster - pearl white with a big red scallop and a smaller blue one around it, separated by a white pinstripe. Here are a couple of in-process shots and the finished product. I haven't put any numbers or lettering on it yet and not sure if I will, but here it is so far.

100_1888.JPG 100_1892.JPG 100_1899.JPG 100_1900.JPG

Extremely nice work and awesome car! You definitely nailed it on the design, stance, details...everything!

I'm so used to seeing that scheme on Foyt's car that my brain automatically expects to see a gold leafed #1, and Sheraton-Thompson Special on it...but I wouldn't touch it! It's perfect as is...

Last edited:
Thank you all for the compliments. After I sprayed the blue I started having second thoughts because all of my early concept drawings just had the red scallop with no blue. When I pulled the masking, though, I knew I had made the right decision.:thumbsup: Below is my original concept drawing; you can see a couple of changes since then - different grille, single carburetor, carb fairing on the hood...:rolleyes:

Bobs66440 - I have the engine-turned gold for the numbers if I want to put them on, but my wife and son say I should leave it as is. I haven't decided yet... If I do put numbers on it I will probably use my old stock car number - 94. :D

Roadster concept 1b.jpg

Wow! Looks great! You definitely nailed the track look. The paint is fantastic.

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments. Dmxxpert - the tube frame was an interesting challenge and fun to do. It was also remarkably inexpensive to build!:D

I have watched from back on club hot rod. Great job of old school building using a lot of salvage yard parts and your fabrication skills.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back