Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Update on my Ride

If you have studied as many rides as I have over the years, you could spot these things in a second. If you'd lower it as it should be, you could probably use a 90 degrees thermostat housing and have your upper radiator hose lay flat going to the radiator. Remember, it's the little things that set the great cars from the so-so cars.

Jim

P.S. I'm not criticizing your car but giving you some helpful hints which I think you asked for by posting.

Also, your headlight placement looks great.

Jim

Look at BenT and Junks radiator treatment. Black out the radiator and put extensions of to the sides and black them out. Then put a nice black wire mesh as an insert to blend the rad/inserts into one front.
Before you do that, run about five strips of blue masking tape from the cowl to the radiator shell, as if it had a hood to see what the line is. Prob have to lower the rad/shell and inch. Always better to be slightly low vs slightly high. Think about running a half hood with the rad shell moved back.
The whole thing about Ts are the lines. They should all go at the same angle. From the angle of frame to the angle of the bottom of the body, to the top of the door to the angle of the headers to the angle of the radius rods and steering rod, all should be the same. Or else REALLY close.
Taller rear tires would be nice, not necessarily wider. Wind shield raked back , but not too much.

The main thing is to get all the body lines, frame lines, valve cover/ header lines and radius rod lines to be at the same angle so that everything FLOWS. Just look at ExJunk's car to see what I mean.

You could put a longer engine in there. Viper V-10, 500 Caddy, V-12 Jag, Big Block Chev., Something to fill the space. You are stuck with the front end arrangement. Moving the radiator back too much would leave the head lights hanging out front too much. Ask Ron if he could make up a different set of front radius rods that were more parallel and tucked into the frame. Move the mount point up.

I'm not doggin' ya. Just some observations and thoughts. Get the car safe, comfortable, and drivable for the summer and put some miles on it. You can change it over next winter to whatever you want.

John

Here is how I went about setting the rad height. This is what John is talking about, I used green tape instead...lol

23%20Oct%202010%20022.JPG_595.jpg

23%20Oct%202010%20017.JPG_595.jpg

Now some folks like the headlights low, some high. My location was dictated by the shape of the rad shell I used. If I would have moved the lights anywhere else, the angles would have clashed. Well at least to my eyes.

I must have spent a good 2 hours moving things around until I got it where I wanted it.

Sorry another thing you can try.

Since you have a lot of space between the engine/rad. Try to move the rad back to the back tip of your headlights, that looks like about 3 inches. Since your lights have a good size to them, it should not look like you have a big gap between everything.

My lights are in front of the rad by about 1.5 inches, but are a lot shallower then yours. Tricks the eye to miss the gaps. Just remember the person it has to please the most...is you.

(I hope you realize that none of us are criticizing you, just offering advice)

Well, take a look at the interior so far. The shifter ended up in a crazy place because it was hitting my leg. I don't know yet, but I think I may move the e-brake somewhere else and get the shifter back up by the seat. Let me have some more advice.

I think i would put the turn signal switch behind the steering column mount so you dont hit it getting in and out of the car.

Longer wheel base makes it even worse turning. The shifter can you get rid of the cover and mount it under body so only the handle sticks through?

Longer wheel base makes it even worse turning. The shifter can you get rid of the cover and mount it under body so only the handle sticks through?

Thanks Putz ! You reminded me i was wondering what is your wheelbase at ?

That's what I have heard. Guess I'll have to practice on those "Gas It" turns.

If you can't do a "gas it" turn you'll have to "saw" the turn. "Sawing" the turn means that you'll have to reverse several times to make the turn.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back