Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Update on the Willy's bucket

Took some pics today, the trans tunnel was a week-long adventure. The pipes were a crazed impulse build. The rear wheels, well - I had them around so I bolted them on. I think I'll go with some sort of lower cage in the thing this winter. I'm thinking the rear end needs to be moved up as close to a foot as I can get it.
DSCN1919.jpg

DSCN1922.jpg

DSCN1923.jpg

DSCN1927.jpg

DSCN1928.jpg

Scored this carburetor scoop also, can't wait for it to come in the mail. It's not very big, just long enough to cover the carb.
B7BIbQCGkKGrHgoOKigEjlLmetkBKtn03k0.jpg

Looking good it is coming right along. The pipes are pretty wild looking.

Can't take credit for those, just saw them on a roadster pickup drag racer and copied them. Just have to make eight baffles now.

sweet, i like it

Funny how exiting it can be to finally latch a door. I still have to replace the bottom of the driver door, and do the whole passenger door. Got my hood scoop on, cleaned and primed the floor, boxed in my rocker panels, and made my gas pedal.

Before condition:

IMG00067-20091006-2139.jpg

after condition:
IMG00068-20091006-2140.jpg

IMG00069-20091006-2140.jpg

hood scoop and air cleaner:
DSCN1943.jpg

Gas pedal:
DSCN1946.jpg

floor and rockers:
DSCN1945.jpg

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way.. it is a very funny slip..
You wrote " Funny how exiting it can be to finally latch a door."
I THINK you meant exCiting... but it IS exiting to latch and unlatch a door!! :)

And that gas pedal is certainly interesting!

Progress... cool.

That is funny, I was so excited - I misspelled what I was thinking, but made sense doing it. I'm pretty confused right now.:razz:

Wicked50Coupe said:
... I'm pretty confused right now.:razz:

Wow! If you are only confused right now I am SO envious. That's the state that I am normally in!

Keep up the progress. :)

I'm looking at your gas pedal rig, is that a bicycle hub? There is a shot of it in your top picture laying on the floor and there it is all welded together. Would you explain the set-up a bit?

Yes, it's a steel front hub off a BMX bicycle. I did a little checking and found that a couple people preferred about 6" between the pivot point and the foot pad with about 4" between the pivot point and the throttle linkage to the carb. A 1:1 ratio is a little too sensitive, so I've heard. I think I'll put a grease zerk in the hub and weld bracing on the arm yet. I won't know how this works out till I get the engine together and running though.

I'm curious to know how well it works out. I'm betting there's some trike buddies of mine that would like to know about it, if that set-up if it works well for you.

Sorry, my username changed. Forgot my password and changed my Email. I got the throttle linkage on, seems to work real well. Did a lot of cleaning and priming this weekend. Still a lot to do. Should be out in the spring!
23c004-1.jpg

23c006-1.jpg

23c008-1.jpg

23c002-1.jpg

As a joke, I rolled this out - Hmmmmm.
23c009-1.jpg

Glad to see someone elses' shop cluttered too. I was beginning to think mine was the only one that looked like that!!!! lol

Ron

I'm in a 2-1/2 car garage with a 50 Coupe pushed against a wall. It's a little tight, but not as bad as a one car garage would be. I have stuff hanging everywhere. Once a month I stare everything down and try to decide what I can throw out. Usually a couple garbage cans full, but you can't throw a lot out until you finish building. Whadduyado?

:zingy:I KNOW!!!!!!!

Ron

Hey Willy,
Kool lookin' build!!! I seen an article yrs agoin HRM on how to flare vw mufflers to slide up your pipes, after you flare then braze that end, then on the other end weld a tab with a hole in it for a bolt to go thru. Underneath your pipes drill a hole to bolt both together and then you have mufflers in each pipe!! A friend of mine and I did this same kind of set-up on some old rusted '71 honda 650 because his mufflers were useless. Sound different than any other bike we've ever heard but made it Legal. Just a thought. I'm enjoying your build---John T.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back