Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Update on the Willy's bucket

Hey Willy,
Kool lookin' build!!! I seen an article yrs agoin HRM on how to flare vw mufflers to slide up your pipes, after you flare then braze that end, then on the other end weld a tab with a hole in it for a bolt to go thru. Underneath your pipes drill a hole to bolt both together and then you have mufflers in each pipe!! A friend of mine and I did this same kind of set-up on some old rusted '71 honda 650 because his mufflers were useless. Sound different than any other bike we've ever heard but made it Legal. Just a thought. I'm enjoying your build---John T.
I got my mufflers figured out. It was kind of tedious having to do eight, but they really took the edge off.
IMG00247-20100106-2129.jpg

IMG00248-20100106-2129.jpg

Ok, been busy this last month. Got the chassis and body sandblasted, painted the chassis, freshened up the engine and ran it, picked out a color and started painting the body. Maybe get this thing on the road this season.
Chassis005.jpg

Chassis013.jpg

Oh yea, got these bitchin steelies for my 9":
15x8steelwheels.jpg

Nice progress.How do your mufflers sound?

Nice progress.How do your mufflers sound?
REALLY took the edge off. When we were adjusting the lifters, we couldn't yell to each other over the engine. Now you can understand talking loudly. Can't wait to hear it in gear going down the road.

A little wiring, Alittle painting. Got to see the color out in the sun.
23Bucket003.jpg

23Bucket004.jpg

23Bucket001.jpg

This is really a nice project, I'm likein it. Your going to have something to be proud of when it's finished.
Trying to keep it clean and simple. Something you don't see a lot of. I'm even running steel wheels, less is more approach. I just hope the wife doesn't make me put side pipes on it.

Trying to keep it clean and simple. Something you don't see a lot of. I'm even running steel wheels, less is more approach. I just hope the wife doesn't make me put side pipes on it.
After riding in it for a while, you will probably want side pipes yourself, :thumb: as that will be real hard on your ears, plus I hope no kids or anyone for that matter, get burned on them there headers, as I had happen with a chrome set of headers I once ran on my car, felt real bad for that Boy....
<
PS, The wheel base is fine , looks "right" where it is... You may end up notching for the rear spring some more, for a better ride...

After riding in it for a while, you will probably want side pipes yourself, :hooray: as that will be real hard on your ears, plus I hope no kids or anyone for that matter, get burned on them there headers, as I had happen with a chrome set of headers I once ran on my car, felt real bad for that Boy....
<
PS, The wheel base is fine , looks "right" where it is... You may end up notching for the rear spring some more, for a better ride...
I'm sure you're right about the pipes, or I could just wear a leather helmet all the time. Ha. The rear frame is nothched all the way up to the top of the crossmember - projected, I don't know what else I can do there. Thanks for your opinion on the wheel base. The body is so long, I tried to keep the car as short as I could. I think finishing the paint should bring it together. I hope.
side view shows just how long the car looks.
23Bucket002.jpg

Got the rear end painted and reassembled this weekend. Whew! Little things took up a lot of time like the trim piece of stainless on the driveshaft opening, and the upper shock mounts were finished six hours after the picture. Shocks definately need some silver paint.
23Bucketrear002.jpg

I have a question about your rad shell. I have the same shell, how did you pop off the emblem to paint, or did you just mask and paint around it?

I have looked at the back and I do not want to snap anything, its made it this long I don't want to screw it up! I plan on polishing mine up as its stainless.

Oh yeah, cars looking great

I have a question about your rad shell. I have the same shell, how did you pop off the emblem to paint, or did you just mask and paint around it?

I have looked at the back and I do not want to snap anything, its made it this long I don't want to screw it up! I plan on polishing mine up as its stainless.

Oh yeah, cars looking great
Well, my radiator shell is from a Ford model A. I bought the emblem online and bolted it on. the original shell had no emblem, and I had a Chevy engine in it, plus I am a die hard chevy guy anyway.

Keeper ... If you have a '29 shell like Wicked's, it's plated steel. In '30 ford went to using SS radiator shells. Be very carefull buffing the '29 shell. the nichol is soft and very thin. If it's a repo shell, it's chrome and still very thin.

Ron

ahhh okay well mine is a Chevy shell. I am a Chevy guy as well! I just do not want to break the emblem trying to get it out of the shell.

24feb%20002.jpg
My emblem looked like it had a sheetmetal disk on the back that probably crimped on through a hole in the grille shell. I wadded the sheetmetal around the head of a carriage bolt so I could fasten it on with a nut. there isn't much room between the shell and radiator tank, so I cut the bolt off at the nut after it was fastened. I'm not too sure what you should do though.

Thanks for the info

Sorry for the hyjack, now back to your regular programming.

Keep up the good work, looks like a fun ride.
Eh, that's the most action this thread has seen in a long time anyway. Wish you luck.

Busy weekend! More painting done and fan shroud done, I haven't decided if I like the shroud yet. Maybe it will look better as it patina's, but I'm my own worst critic.
23paint021.jpg

23paint022.jpg

23paint020.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back