Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

V6 advice

Jamestat2

I am building a scratch built car (body and all) using Youngsters frame plans.

I am wanting to put a carberated V6 in it and I was looking for suggestions on what motor, tranny and rearend to use. I am not building this car to romp and stomp I am building it just to look good and cruise it.

Any input here will be greatly appreciated. I am ready to buy now. Need that rearend to get it up to a roller.

Welcome! Its great to see all these new members!
OK, We have several guys here that run V-6's, and Mike is a V-6 racer and is real knowledgeable....what make do you like?
Now, this is just me....but since your wanting just a rod to cruise with, I'd look for a 80 on up to early 90's Ford Ranger, Chevy S-10, Or the little GMC. That way, you'd have your complete driveline. They all came with V-6's, with auto, and have the right width rear to build with. Plus you get all the other stuff, alt., etc. What you don't use, you can sell, to keep you project flowing....
All the other guys should chime in soon, we have alot of knowledgeable folks here....

You can get all the Parts you need from Ron Pope, or Spirit, all these guys are here. I just sold my Killer I-6 this morning, Its new home is in Ca. Left here on a car hauler at 8:30Am.
Youngsters plans are great, I had programmed all the brackets using his drawings over on my plasma machine....this time I'm gonna get Ron to do them for me, you can't beat his prices.

The Chevy 4.3 V6 is inexpensive, common, and capable of surprising power with relatively minor mods. The smaller 60-degree Chevy V6s (2.8, 3.1, 3.4) are not as powerful but do have the advantage of being more compact. As Screaming Metal mentioned, an old S-10 pickup with either of these is a pretty easy donor to find.

One thing you have to watch out for is that some of the newer V6 motors came stock wtih fuel injection. While I haven't kept up with the availability of aluminum intakes for these motors I know when I put a Vortec 4.3 in a boat I had some years ago I had to buy a marine cast iron intake and it cost me about $ 500 from Volvo Marine. Maybe now the aftermarket has caught up, but I just wanted to give you that possiblility.

Don

I'm in the process of planning a build with a 2.8 litre GM 60 degree V6. Not my 1st choice, but not a bad choice from what I've seen so far. If I did not already have this engine, there are 3 other choices I'd prefer.

No.3 would be the 3.4 liter version of the same 60V6 family. It has the advantage of being light and narrow, and since these engines were used in Camaro & Firebirds, there a good number of folks out there that know how to get the most out of them. The drawback is not a lot of speed equipment off the shelf.

No. 2 would be the GM 4.3 litre 90 degree V6. Basically this is a cut down small block Chevy motor...therefore things like SBC motor mounts and such apply. There are more options in off the shelf speed parts for this engine than there is for the 60V6. The drawbacks are that they are wider and heavier. We had 150K miles on one in a Blazer with no complaints.

No. 1 would be the Series II GM (Buick) 3800 V6. Light, powerful, and thanks to the Buick Grand Nationals of years back, if you want to go the turbo route, there's a wealth of knowledge out there. We're on our 3rd 3800 V6 family car, and we love em. The drawbacks are that they are as wide as a v8, and that they are relatively hard to find cheap.

I don't know much about the Ford V6s to say much about them one way or another.

I'd be looking for a wrecked S-10 with a 4.3 as a donor car. Take the entire drive line out of it. We do have all the brackets and tabs you might need for your build as well as a front axle and radius rods.

Stay away from 1995 GM 4.3. They are mostly "year specific" when looking for parts. It was a change over year so things get screwy.

Yep, for sure. My boat was a 95 and I replaced the motor with a 96. EVERYTHING was different and I had a hell of a time completing it. For some reason GM changed the 4.3 so that almost no parts interchanged, and I spent a lot of time researching what I needed to do to make it fit.

Don

The late model Vortex V6 is a great motor. Remove the injection and buy a 4 barrel manifold off a Merc cruser or Eddelbrock makes one.
I had one in my dirt t ran supper.

My car is built with 1991 s10 parts with a 4.3v6 and it is surprisingly quick. Edelbrock manifold and 500cfm carb from summit racing.A v8 is a lot less expensive to put in a car, look at the price of an intake and headers.

Cool! Cool! Cool! Lots of good info. Thanks all! I am still trying to decide what I want to use. Looking on Craigslist alot to try and find either a donor vehicle or individual parts.

Come to find out my boss has an older GMC Safari van! Has 4.3, auto tranny and rearend! I found it out in the back of the crane yard the other day while I was looking for prospective parts! Gonna ask him monday what he wants for it all.

If your set on a v6 that 4.3 is a good one summit has all the parts to go with a carb instead of efi. Headman headers makes tbucket headers for that engine but they are expensive, I think Sanderson makes them to. After several wrong starts I had mine made at a local hotrod shop, that has the bending equipment cost 200 dollars, way cheaper that I could buy them any place. If I were doing this again I would buy a set of bends from speedway and headman will sell you a set of flanges.

my V6 advise:

Don't do it!!
Somebody had to say it ;)

A v-8 is cheeper to do, even if you get the v-6 for free. You won't save enough fuel to amount to anything, parts are much harder to come by, the visual is weird, and without a serious muffler system they sound like an old tractor…. with a miss…… but other than that, I like them. btw, YES, I've built 2 different 4.3L "hot rods" myself (I was a slow learner).
That being said. if your dead set on a v-6 then I would recommend the 4.3L. easier/cheeper to get parts, and the most trouble free. the 60* v-6 (GM) has some bottom end oiling issues. the 80s 60* Ford had top end oiling issues (valve train related), and the Mopar is… well… just not a very good engine to begin with and has NO parts available. As I said, I prefer the 4.3, and I'm also partial to the earlier version of those. just not a fan of the balance shaft motors. (I know, I know, I'm the only one who's not. ;) )

Russ

Actually, I agree with you, Russ. Everything you said makes sense. Unless someone really needs to have something different, there's really no advantage to be found with the V-6.

If I absolutely had to use a V-6, I would also agree the 4.3 Chevy is the way to go. No sense in giving up cubic inches with any other choice. With the exception of the turbo Buick, the Chevy is going to always end up making more power.

Experience is a good teacher, benefit from others experience and use a v8, cheaper and more power and a v6 won't save you much gas. I am considering switching to a v8 even though my car is almost done .

I'd like to revive this one... From what I've been reading on the internet it's totally possible, with a change in intake manifold and cam you might be able to get (if you keep your foot out of it) 30 mpg. So if you were looking to build a nice looking bucket and get some purty good gas mileage this chevy vortex V6 4.3 might be a good way to go.

One thing you have to watch out for is that some of the newer V6 motors came stock wtih fuel injection. While I haven't kept up with the availability of aluminum intakes for these motors I know when I put a Vortec 4.3 in a boat I had some years ago I had to buy a marine cast iron intake and it cost me about $ 500 from Volvo Marine. Maybe now the aftermarket has caught up, but I just wanted to give you that possiblility.

Don
I used a late model Vortec V6 in my dirt T the intake I used was a Mercruser 4 barrel manifold. $ 100.00 E Bay
The water pump from a V8 fits. The dist from a V8 chevy can be converted to a V4 dist.If anyone has any questions
I'll tell you how.
Terry
PS It ran like a raped ape!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back