Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

vega steering box

Putz

Are you asking if you can use a Vega box for side steering? If so, then the answer is yes, but not without some problems.

The pitman arm shaft on the box I used was not long enough to get a stock type pitman arm out far enough to clear the frame. I solved that by making an extended flange using part of the stock pitman arm. I bolted a custom pitman arm to the extension.

Another thing is that the arm needs to be pointing up to get the right direction on your drag link. You would need to reverse the box if you needed the arm to point down.

Hope this is what you were asking.

Mike

here's a vega box that has been reversed. i have been told it's the same procedure as a 'vair box.

revvegasm.jpg

Ron

Putz, could explain what you mean by "a better angle." Do you want the steering wheel more vertical like conventional rods or more horizontal like some T's. (That is where the column is more vertical.) Also, do you want side steer or cross steer?

Jim

This Vega is unreversed and is mounted with the pitman arm pointed up. The pitman arm is curved to clear the upper 4 bar's rear mounting. Sorry, not a very good photo.

6-2-2008009.jpg

Reversing the vega box should be the same as the tech article on the Holden. They look like mirror images of each other.

GAB said:
This Vega is unreversed and is mounted with the pitman arm pointed up. The pitman arm is curved to clear the upper 4 bar's rear mounting. Sorry, not a very good photo.

6-2-2008009.jpg

I make a really nice bracket that will weld in under the chassis and mount the box this way. I'll hunt a picture of it for you. We sell a lot of them to the local chassis builders.

img%5D
My column comes out at a low angle and by moving box back I hope to be able to get a better angle. To fit my 6'1" body under the steering wheel.Currently column goes through the firewall then another shaft goes to box.If I get more angle the way it is mounted now I think ujoints will bind.
Ron how much for the bracket do you think this will help?

Let's see if I can get the picture up instead of the
img%5D

putz said:
Pic063.jpg

My column comes out at a low angle and by moving box back I hope to be able to get a better angle. To fit my 6'1" body under the steering wheel.Currently column goes through the firewall then another shaft goes to box.If I get more angle the way it is mounted now I think ujoints will bind.
Ron how much for the bracket do you think this will help?

Weird... The image was there an hour ago... gremlins I tell ya!

LumenAl said:
Let's see if I can get the picture up instead of the
img%5D
I have a great cure for binding steering U joints, stagger them 90 degrees to each other, not even like a drive shaft.. They will work at a much steeper angle with no binding... I have been doing this for years, funny that others are not doing this, as I see them adding another U joint set to get a bit more angle??? :D

Check out this link for BORGESON, one of the largest suppliers of steering shaft components. U-JOINT ORIENTATION It gives you u-joint orientation and angle of operation.

Jim

Maybe I will try and get a little bit more angle out of column first thanks for all the input.

Rules are to be broken, otherwise we would not be where we are today.. Like I said, I have been using U joints this way for YEARS with no ill effects, show me where it is wrong in a case of failure, I have tested this to the max, on many different types of cars, no problems as yet, and I am OLD :D

I wish speedway would contribute to this site i am having a real pain mounting my vega box i bought with their prewelded kit its tight

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back