Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

VIN Tag

I think that you should. You never know when the "revenue enforcers", commonly known as the police, might be checking. I had one made and riveted it to the left frame rail right in front of the firewall. I did this before inspection because I had a '25 T title that I had used parts from to build my car.

Jim

I just pop riveted mine. The "authorities" here in Florida don't have a problem with it but I suggest that you check with your state regulations.

Jim

Yes there is special rivets but no one ever uses them because only manufactures have them. They have hex heads.

You can get drive screws from a good bolt and nut supply. They are set in place by tapping in with a small hammer. Not easily removed.
Lee

If we do a vin tag on one. We take the VIN to a trophy shop and have them engrave a tag, then just pop rivet it on the frame.

Remember Model Ts never had a vin or a title. The engine serial number was the only identification on these cars, from way back. That number was on a bill of sale to prove ownership to the car.

I had mine done at a small sign shop that we do work with. Its is engraved metal that has a self adhesive backing. I never put a rivet in. I did get a few extra made in case i needed them.

If we do a vin tag on one. We take the VIN to a trophy shop and have them engrave a tag, then just pop rivet it on the frame.

Remember Model Ts never had a vin or a title. The engine serial number was the only identification on these cars, from way back. That number was on a bill of sale to prove ownership to the car.

Well, if that's the case, I don't need to put one on the frame, right

Check locally; don't rely on Internet advice. In some states, your car can be confiscated if you get this wrong.
Jack

That is exactly what I stated in my post.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I just pop riveted mine. The "authorities" here in Florida don't have a problem with it but I suggest that you check with your state regulations.

Jim

I like the idea of pop riveting the VIN tag in place. It is less likely to wonder off at some point.

George

Here in Minnesota the DMV inspector will attach the VIN tag. It is sticky backed and they drill two holes and rivet it on also with special rivets. I would definitely check with the local inspector before putting anything on.

Do whatever Texas requires. Period. Make it all legal. Might be a hassle but it will be smaller hassle than being caught with an illegal car.

Texas requies it stamped in the frame. I stamped mine in the frame, just forward of the body on the drivers side. I will probably rivet a plate over it in the near future with the VIN #. If anybody ever quetions it, I can remove the plate and prove to them that it's stamped in the frame.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back