Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Water Pump

Johnny

If ya have a crate engine and ya don't have a water pump or pulleys or anything at all, does it matter if a long water pump or a short water pump is used? I'm leaning toward using an electric fan sp I'm thinking it wouldn't matter.

Let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks

If I recall correctly, the c-c of the ports is the same on both the short and long pumps. The two are only about 1 5/8" different in projection. Either should work fine, but the short would probably be better for clearance purposes. I hope this helps...

A short water pump has more aftermarket support for pulleys and mounts. You will have many more choices on that as well as the pump itself.

Go short.

I'm totally with Ted! if you gotta go to the fan, go with a spacer up to 4 inches. If any longer, go with longer pump or move the radiator some....short pumps are best....depends on looks though, and application.

My choice was the short - it weighs less.

Somewhere in The History of the World Part II, I think I mentioned I bought a high volume aluminum water pump from.... oh, never mind, we'll Skip that.

The pump to block ports of this high volume pump are smaller than a stock pump. I can open up the ports/passages within several minutes with a die grinder. The issue is the claim of being high volume... let's see, the velocity and pressure change can be calculated, but............... why bother.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back