Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What chrome fuel pump ?

Swampdog

What chrome fuel pump will fit a T bucket with Small Block Chevy? The one I ordered its the frame rail. Note: the body fits the frame, so spinning the fittings won't help. I have a stock pump with the crimped construction that works.

Thanks

Swampdog.

Pretty sure mine is a Carter pump.

13%20aug%202011%20006.JPG_595.jpg

If your having trouble taking it out or putting it in....remove your motor mount bolts, get a piece of plywood, put between the harmonic balancer and the jack, lift up just enough to see a little light under motor mts. With a long piece of 2x2 wood, pry your motor over slightly, and you should be able to replace with no problems....
This should not be a problem with a stock rubber trans mount. If a solid mount, loosen the bolts really good before trying to pry motor over.
After installation, reverse procedures....and doublecheck....

Stock is good for a fairly stock motor....remember, the 350 horse 350s and 327s were feed by a mechanical pump, so were the 450 horse 427s and 454's....

Last edited:
Can someone measure the body of there Carter fuel pump from the Blocking plate on a SBC to the very widest point on the Fuel pump where it is closest to the frame rail and post measurement please.

I purchased an Edelbrock 1721 and it is to wide to fit in my frame rail. I would like to know width before I attempt to purchase a Carter Fuel Pump, or french my frame rail even more to accommodate the fuel pump.

Thanks

Sorry that no one has come along with any dimensions for you. If I'm not mistaken, the 1721 Edelbrock uses the same design body as the Carter pump, so I don't think you're going to gain anything there.

Hopefully, someone will come along with some dimensions and prove me wrong.

Swamp dog - Another alternative is just to paint a good stock type one. We put an Airtex 4657 on our 283 and spray painted it silver. Its rated at 50GPH and can be indexed. Its about $50 at Autozone and comes with a 1 yr warranty. It does have a smaller body than most of the "High Performance" ones. FYI, unless you buy a nice polished one, most of the chrome ones have really cheap flash chrome. Nice thing about this is that we can get a replacement at just about any Autozone, Advance, etc. I can measure it for you next time I'm in the shop if you want.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back