Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wheel base?

Hi, I have a old school short wheelbase bucket but our needs have changed. I have seen some photos of bucket style C-cab vans. What wheelbase are these and how much room is in the back. If I can change what I have it will save a new build. Thanks Peter.

Take a look at Spirits C-Cab in their catalog or on line. Might need a new frame with that.

Forgot the mention I live in Australia, so I need something I can do/make. I can do in steel and or timber but I need ideas to guide me.

How much additional room do you need, and where do you need it?

One of my pet ideas is to build a woody style C-cab, using "T-Slot" extruded aluminum beams to build a skeleton to hang the wood on.

Another off the wall idea would be to add an extension to the kicked up part of your existing frame, then mount a "dummy" trailer axle behind the existing driven axle. There is precedent for dual axle Model T trucks.

I just checked my wheelbase its 102 inches, from what I have read the spirit C-cab uses a 112 inch chassis. I have a problem with the tailshaft, to short and on a odd angle so I had planned to extend the kickup part 8 inches anyway. So with a bit of overhang it should be OK. I have a 1918? Dodge cowl that I was going to build from.

Forgot the mention I live in Australia, so I need something I can do/make. I can do in steel and or timber but I need ideas to guide me.

Build to your own dimensions for your needs. 4 feet behind seats and about 4 1/2 feet wide would be about right for rear of body IMHO. Spirits bodies are a little shorter than that. Ask for their specs. You can build out of 1/4" plywood and fiberglass over or build out of steel with square tubing braces. Just look at pics of others and build to your own imagination. Good luck!

Building at home is my plan, I looked today with moving the diff back 8 inches and running the body about a foot past the rear wheel will give about 3 feet behind the seat. Thats ideal and it should still look ok.

If my memory serves me, the c-cabs that meangreat built had a 96 inch wheelbase and the kick up was 20 inches to support the wood body. I remember the bodies being rather simple to make. Look at some pics he has posted of them by doing a c-cab thread search and you should find them. Who knows, he may email you the drawings.

C-Cabs? Did somebody say C-Cabs? Ok, this is near and dear to my heart.:) I designed and built my first C-Cab in 1975 - '76. After that, eight more were built from my plans including one pickup truck version and one oversized one for a big guy. Two of the nine I built for myself and I helped with the construction of two others; the rest were built by folks using my plans. All were built on T-bucket style frames. The bodies were made from 2x2 and 2x4 skeletons covered with 3/8 plywood and laminated with fiberglass. Both of mine and the two I helped with had 96 inch wheelbases. The pickup was 102 and the oversized one was 108. I would put some pics here, but I don't know how.:( I used to do that, but the format has changed here and I can't figure it out.:confused: Send me a PM and I can reply direct with pics.

Meangreen, do you still have those plans available? My bucket is almost finished and I would love to do a C Cab next, and building it myself would be a blast.

Yes, I still have the original drawing I did in 1975...:confused: I also have some copies that reflect the changes I made on the second car.:thumbsup: Learning from the first few, when I built the second one for myself I added 2 inches more leg room and changed the shape of the doors slightly to improve the stiffness of the firewall. I have pictures of both cars and also frame plans. I would post them here, but I don't subscribe to a hosting site and wouldn't know how to link it anyway.:rolleyes: I can send the frame plans and pics to someone if they want to post them here. Unfortunately, the body plans are too big for my scanner...o_O

Hi, Thanks for the input, looks like I will be heading that way. Also pm sent, ideas would great.

Well I guess it depends on what type of C cab you want. When you mentioned van type I assume you are not talking about a C cab pickup. The common ones like Spirit has are quite long but if you are building just make it as long as you want.

The shorty C-cab in the first pic looks like the ones Scott Rods in NW Ohio makes

What is this then . Its is one of Rays Rods C cab . His Rod shop was in Pool Dorset in the U.K.
He was one of the first rod shop in the U.K. He made T buckets ,C cab and a 5 window coup which a was a Plymouth well that what he said it was .He was a bit like Ed Roth with some of the show cars he built . He built a cement truck ,a helicopter rod and others odd things . He also built a milk float with a v8 in it ( milk float is a small electric truck which deliver milk in towns ). The C cab you see here has a Daimler V8, 2.500cc. independent front end from a Triumph Herald and I cant remember what back axle it had . It has wolfrace wheels all round 13 on the front and 15 on the back. I remember the rod and mite have a pic some where . We see them some times at rod runs but not often .

The C-Cabs I built were similar to the Rays Rods car just above. I prefer the style that doesn't have the big hump in the roof. It's purely a matter of personal taste, but I have seen some that have the hump exaggerated to the point that they look stupid (like the red one above IMO). Most of the real C-Cabs built in the 1910s and '20s were curved at the front but didn't have big humps. Again, it's just whatever you like. I would be happy to send pics to someone if they want to post them here; I simply don't have the capability to do it myself.:confused:

Yes I agree, the red one is too much. I don't mind a bit of a raised roof in the C but I also want to work out a system so it can be weatherproof. A clip in window? I have found a photo of one I like, not to copy but go along that style. I am also in the same boat, need to work out how to post a photo.

My first C-Cab had pop-in side windows so I could drive it in the rain and in cool weather (I lived in Indiana then and needed them). I once drove it 45 miles to an indoor show in January. It was 17 degrees and blowing snow. No heater, but at least I was out of the wind; I wore long-Johns and thermal socks...

What is this then . Its is one of Rays Rods C cab . His Rod shop was in Pool Dorset in the U.K.
He was one of the first rod shop in the U.K. He made T buckets ,C cab and a 5 window coup which a was a Plymouth well that what he said it was .He was a bit like Ed Roth with some of the show cars he built . He built a cement truck ,a helicopter rod and others odd things . He also built a milk float with a v8 in it ( milk float is a small electric truck which deliver milk in towns ). The C cab you see here has a Daimler V8, 2.500cc. independent front end from a Triumph Herald and I cant remember what back axle it had . It has wolfrace wheels all round 13 on the front and 15 on the back. I remember the rod and mite have a pic some where . We see them some times at rod runs but not often .

They are pictures I found here and there over the years. I do no recall where it is from.

The shorty C-cab in the first pic looks like the ones Scott Rods in NW Ohio makes

That is right in front of Scotts shop. They were originally made my Rod N Race IIRC. Scott bought them out around 2009ish.

A couple of the Rod N Race pics.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back