Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wheel hop

A tube is stronger than a rod, because there is twice as much surface area that has to be compromised to bend.

Shocks are one of the best investments you can make. Got rid of the friction shocks on my T and what a difference. Did not have a real problem with wheel hop but the ride and handling are so much better. Good luck!

Duke said:
A tube is stronger than a rod, because there is twice as much surface area that has to be compromised to bend.

OK, then why do tube bender manufacturers specify a maximum wall thickness for a given diameter that their benders will handle? If solid bar is weaker than tube, then tube benders should have no problem bending solid bar. Any tube bender manufacturing reps or chassis builders on here want to comment on whether the commonly available tube benders will bend solid bar more easily than tube?

Bob

bobscogin said:
Ted, could you elaborate on that? It's commonly accepted that for a given tube diameter, as wall thickness increases, strength increases. Would you agree? If so, then think of a bar as a tube with a wall thickness equal to half it's diameter. How could that be weaker than a tube with less wall thickness if it can be presumed that increased wall thickness increases strength?

Bob
We used to twist Olds axles in only a few runs, take them to a gun shop and have them rifle drilled, a 22 Cal. hole down the middle, then they last MUCH longer, that extra wall adds a lot more strength... pound for pound, tube is stronger than solid... Better too strong, than too light... :)

The purpose of shocks is to control the spring's rebound. Springs ossilate (not sure of spelling) DW, on my experiance needs something to start it ie: a patch in the road , a wheel out of balance etc or the correct speed to start the natural harmonics. To this the spring goes through a first flex then rebounds. This is where the shocks come into play. Some years ago Moog had a trainging film with a camera pointed at the front spring on a F150 with twin i-beam suspension. You could actually watch the spring start to ossilate to the point that the wheel was coming off the ground and this was with a shock attached. Does anybody remember the extreme scalloping and irregular wear on those trucks when Ford first switched to twin I-BEAM? I think technically on a perfectly smooth surface with perfectilly balanced tires that were perfectilly round and you didn't hit the correct speed to start spring harmonics you wouldn't need shocks. But that isn't in eastern Canada for sure maybe your roads and equipement are better
Good luck

Ted Brown said:
We used to twist Olds axles in only a few runs, take them to a gun shop and have them rifle drilled, a 22 Cal. hole down the middle, then they last MUCH longer, that extra wall adds a lot more strength... pound for pound, tube is stronger than solid... Better too strong, than too light... :)

You're correct in that pound for pound, tube is stronger. That statement speaks to the strength weight ratio of tube vs. solid. There's a thread on The H.A.M.B. right now that addresses this topic:Death Wobble - speedway tie rod may be suspect - THE H.A.M.B. Read post #65. The poster did the calculations showing why a solid bar is marginally stronger than a tube. My point is, it's just not accurate to make the generalization that a tube is stronger than a solid bar when one should say it's a better choice based on efficient use of material compared to a solid bar.

Bob

The guy who responded in thread #65 in the HAMB post above is correct. What determines the stiffness, or resistance to bending of any object is it's calculated moment of inertia. That includes twisting.

I published the tools needed earlier here: http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/f48/deflection-formula-comparing-different-tubing-sizes-1884/
that outline how to determine the stiffness of a piece of either round, square or rectangular tubing. Solid can be easily worked out with the same formula as well.

Like my physics teacher used to always say... Trust the MATH!

:cool:

Here is an easy way to look at it also, take two 1/8" pieces of flat stock and weld them together, along the edges, now this is much stronger than a single piece of 1/4" stock, why? to bend it, one 1/8" piece has to compress and the other has to stretch, works pretty much the same with tubing. Two completely different actions, just to bend... Ride safe:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back