Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wheeling paint

thomas

I painted my bucket last summer and never wheeled out the orange peel. I now have it torn down with the body off, ready to wheel out. I have three coats of clear and I'm using 2000 grit to wet sand. Question is, do I sand until all the orange peel is out? Making it smooth. How about it Rick? Swing on by and take a look.

Your Friend

thomas

"Wheeled" ... there is a term I haven't hear before. But hey, any guy running a Ford in a Ford has to know what he is talking about! :thumb:

I painted my bucket last summer and never wheeled out the orange peel. I now have it torn down with the body off, ready to wheel out. I have three coats of clear and I'm using 2000 grit to wet sand. Question is, do I sand until all the orange peel is out? Making it smooth. How about it Rick? Swing on by and take a look.

Your Friend

thomas
Thomas I personally don't level with 2000,I start with 1200 to 1500 using a squeegie to check leveling,when it starts getting close ,I change to 2000,then 2500 ,and finishing with 2500 or adding 3000 depending on how hard or soft the clear coat is.The reason it only needs to be close is because of the following steps(2000-3000)will add additional leveling and reduction of 1200-1500 scratches.You will also notice because of finishing with 2500-3000 that it also cuts down time on the buffer.Starting with 2000 would be a long road to completely rid of orange peel(if the texture is severe),if it is slight and you do not want to completely remove all orange peel,then you are on the right step.

Thomas I personally don't level with 2000,I start with 1200 to 1500 using a squeegie to check leveling,when it starts getting close ,I change to 2000,then 2500 ,and finishing with 2500 or adding 3000 depending on how hard or soft the clear coat is.The reason it only needs to be close is because of the following steps(2000-3000)will add additional leveling and reduction of 1200-1500 scratches.You will also notice because of finishing with 2500-3000 that it also cuts down time on the buffer.Starting with 2000 would be a long road to completely rid of orange peel(if the texture is severe),if it is slight and you do not want to completely remove all orange peel,then you are on the right step.
Thanks coop.

thomas

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back