Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windows Users Having Problems Logging In

Mike

We have had some issues with a small percentage of members logging into the forum, yet being unable to access any member-only forum functions.

The problem first arose with a flurry of Windows updates, released in late-March. I am unable to put my finger on exactly what changed, but something certainly did and it created havoc for some Windows users running Internet Explorer. Fortunately, we were able to learn that browser upgrades would fix the issue and allow everyone to log in without any further issues.

Here are some suggestions for individuals having the log-in issues.

Windows XP - Be aware XP retail sales ended 30 June 2008. Sale of PCs with XP installed ended 22 October 2010. Mainstream support for XP ended 14 April 2009. I know, you hate the thought of it, but it is time to upgrade. If your computer system meets the requirements, you need to upgrade to Windows 7. If your machine doesn't have the resources for Win 7, it's time to look at using Linux as an operating system or purchasing a new machine. Windows XP is gone.

If you're running XP and cannot log in, verify you are running Service Pack 3 and then upgrade Internet Explorer to IE8. And remember, that already leaves you one release behind with IE, since IE9 is the current stable release. And IE10 is already in Alpha testing stages, so you're about to be left behind.

Alternatively, install another browser. I use and recommend Mozilla Firefox. It is faster, more stable and much more secure, when compared to IE. If you want something other than Firefox, try Google Chrome, Opera or Safari. You do not have to delete IE, in order to install other browsers. And you can install as many browsers as you like, so try them all and go with what works best for you.

Windows Vista - Retail sales of Vista ended 22 October 2010. Sale of PCs with Vista installed will end 22 October 2011. Mainstream support for Vista will end 10 April 2012. As you can see, Vista is rapidly slipping down the slippery Windows slope. You can continue using the operating system until you start suffering all the issues current XP users are having, or you can upgrade to Win 7 and be done with it. For a while, anyway.

If you're running Vista and cannot log in, verify you are running Service Pack 2 and then upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Or, install an alternate browser.

Windows 7 - This is the current version of Windows. And this is the version you really need to be running. As of this date, there is no predicted end of sales or end of support for Win 7.

If you're running Windows 7 and cannot log in, verify you are running Service Pack 1 and upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Or, install another browser.

If you are trying to access the site from a network computer at your place of employment, your IT department may take a dim view of allowing you to install software on your machine. And they may not be willing to upgrade the Microsoft programs on the network. if this is the case, run Firefox from a USB stick.

Please note I mentioned Internet Explorer 10 is in Alpha testing. In a few months, that means IE7 will drop off the radar entirely. And IE8 will have its own head on the chopping block. The forum software we use only provides support for the current version of Internet Explorer and its immediate predecessor. Invision support for IE7-specific problems has ended. And when IE10 is released, support for IE8-specific problems will also end. So it is time to get yourself in upgrade mode. Windows users are going to be doing a lot of that in the near future.

If you have an older version of Windows and upgrade to Win 7, don't get to feeling overly comfortable with it. The Microsoft Worldwide Partners Conference 2011 begins Sunday, 10 July and sources are saying Monday will include a cloak-and-dagger unveiling of what has now been officially named Windows 8. Rumor also holds that developers will be able to get a developer's preview version of Win 8, so they can start getting software ready to go. This is strictly rumor, but if it turns out to be true, Win 8 is already at the feature-freeze stage of development.

[media]

Welcome to your future.

I just got some really great news from Martin72.

All of the Windows problems seem to have vanished into the ether, along with that Invision Power Board installation. Hallelujah!

He was unable to get logged into the Invision forum with a company computer running on Win XP and IE7. And the message he sent me was being sent from the XenForo software, running that very computer. Pardon me while I go dance a jig!

I am going to un-pin this one and let it die a miserable death.

And....just to show that it's still working, I left for forum for a while to see if it would remember me. When I came back, I was still logged in and was able to reply to this message.

Just ought to mention this as the thread dies... The IPB also had a problem with the iPad opening threads after I updated the iPad to os5.0.1. Refreshing the page you were trying to access usually fixed it... So, I never mentioned it... Xenforo works flawless with the iPad and all my PCs.

Tapatalk?

I've considered adding Tapatalk. I'm actually weaning myself off my cellphone, so I am guilty of overlooking mobile devices these days. After 13 years of paying cellphone fees, I'm giving life a try without having a leash clipped to my belt.

I'll add Tapatalk to the list.

I wish I could ditch my cell phone, but between work, wife, and elderly parents I know that isn't going to happen. I will say that the IPad has been life changing as far as work goes. I work for a school system and I help to manage over 2000 desktops running Mac, Windows, and Linux at 11 different locations. I can manage almost everything including servers, video security, wired, and wireless network resources all from my IPad. It's been nice.

I hear you. In your position, not having a mobile device would be suicide. But I am the exact opposite. I work at home, no wife to nag me and I am the elderly parent. Since I am almost always within 10-15 steps from a computer that is online, I just don't need the mobile device any more. When I was still working outside the home, I loved my Android phone. It's now laying atop the other computer on the desk.

Ditching the cellphone was part of my personal Declaration of Independence. :D

Can I get your number please, so that I can bend your ear once in a while?

This was for Mike[admin]. Just funnin to see if it was really possible to do without technology.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back