Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Post

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I need to install a taller windshield on the T. I have included a picture.

What is the aluminum channel that holds the glass? I hope I can buy this in the length I need, or cut to length and install a taller glass.

thanks,

My guess would be that that started life as a piece of aluminum bar stock that got mounted on a milling machine and the outer edges were profiled with a corner rounding bit and the grove was cut with a end mill. Upper end edges were treated to some attention with the same corner rounding bit.

I would doubt that you will find that on somebodies shelf but it should not be too hard to machine if you have the equipment or access to some.

GAB said:
My guess would be that that started life as a piece of aluminum bar stock that got mounted on a milling machine and the outer edges were profiled with a corner rounding bit and the grove was cut with a end mill. Upper end edges were treated to some attention with the same corner rounding bit.

I would doubt that you will find that on somebodies shelf but it should not be too hard to machine if you have the equipment or access to some.

I agree, it definately appears to be a piece of aluminum that has been machined to that profile. This would be a simple task on a milling machine.

I was hoping this was something standard for T windshields. I am not in touch with any machinest yet, but I guess that will change. The car has a lot of aluminum machine work, so you are probably right in that the builder made the item. While we are on the subject any opinions on plexiglass (Lexan) windshields?

Lexan is NOT ALLOWED in Michigan.It has to be dot what ever safety glass.

Telman, I have looked at them on the net and catalog, but did not see anything that jumped out and said, this is what you have. With Speedway's shipping, I did want to start taking shots in the dark trying to find the part. I am sure the posts that bolt onto the body are pretty standard and thought the alum support would be part 2 of the package. I guess at some point, I will pull one of the alum pieces out and have a couple of longer ones made.

Here's what I think you have going on. Whoever built the car didn't want to use the stock windshield frame setup as they wanted that very low looking setup instead. The stock frame that would fit the posts that are bolted to your car looks like this:

post2.jpg

They either used just a short section chopped out of one of those frames (probably aftermarket one as Ford did not use aluminum) or as the guys said they machined a short section to fit. You can either machine a new longer piece or buy just the lower section of a stock windshield from Speedway, cut it up to get the section you need, and then chrome or paint it. It might seem costly and wasteful to cut up a whole bottom section just to get a couple of pieces, but it would do the trick.

Don

Lexan is easily scratchable but cheap.... it can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes... I have a friend that has Lexan on his bucket and it doesnt look well on the car, everything that touches it just puts another scratch in it... double pane laminate glass can be purchased fairly cheap at a glass shop, I paid $88 to have my glass installed. I have a windshield frame from Spirit and it was attached with a cork gasket.

I guess I will stay with safety glass when I get to the project. On my T the bare glass goes against the fiberglass of the body with a bead of silicone sealing it.

Don, as you said, the frame you posted would be a lot of product to cut up for 2 - 1 foot channels, although it may be as cheap as machining the new alum ones.

There are plenty of projects to be done on the T. This is just one of the many stories in the Big City.

I should be able to find someone to machine something for me, reasonably

thanks,

When you get your glass cut, try to find a shop that sands (or polishes) all the edges, even the ones that are not exposed. This will keep the chances for stress cracks to minimum.

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike.

Hey Don, this looks similar, but I think I will still go the machining route

railroad said:
On my T the bare glass goes against the fiberglass of the body with a bead of silicone sealing it.

thanks,

If you're going to have new frame pieces machined I suggest you have enough made to make a complete frame not just side pieces.

RPM said:
We make a few windsheild frames here and there. We use 7/8" round to start with and then mill away where the glass goes.

Hey Ron, please look at the attached photo and let me know if you think you can do this. I may be able to pull the alum support and send you one. It may be winter before I pull one due to wanting to ride and hunting season coming on. I want to about double the height of the present windshield.

Telman2, I had thought about using a rubber channel between the glass and the body.
Whom ever put the silicone down did a neat job, but it has weathered some and I think there are better methods. Also the windshield has a crack down the center. I do not know if I can get a tag with it like that. I thought about telling the inspector, it is a two piece glass. It does look like it.

thanks,
railroad

We make a few windsheild frames here and there. We use 7/8" round to start with and then mill away where the glass goes.

Hey Ron, I know this is an old post, but do you still make windshield frames or at least the channel? I'm going to need a wider and maybe taller frame for my bigboy body. Haven't mounted the posts yet, but that's going to happen soon.
Brian

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back