Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

windshield support rods

OK Guys.
I am going to throw one up here and wait for the flack.
I know nearly every Bucket has these but I keep thinking they take your eye away from the engine, the biggest and best feature of any T. Otherwise we would all run hoods. I have spent hours trying to come up with a way of supporting the screen without the need for stays.
If you want to detract from something run a line at an angle in front of the thing you want people to not notice. Old marketing saying/ thing. Ask any type setter.
So what say you all.

I am ducking as we speak, waiting for the howls of horror.

gerry

PS Lee
I never notice the furry dices before.

I heard a few stories about guys that didn't run them and had their windshield cave in on them while running 70+ MPH down the road. That had to be a scary moment.

They also provide support if your running a top, to keep you from pulling on the windshield while your tightening the bows.

I've seen a few cars that the windshield support rods and the radiator support rods that run from the firewall to the radiator.

For me it's a safety thing.

I heard a few stories about guys that didn't run them and had their windshield cave in on them while running 70+ MPH down the road. That had to be a scary moment.

They also provide support if your running a top, to keep you from pulling on the windshield while your tightening the bows.

I've seen a few cars that the windshield support rods and the radiator support rods that run from the firewall to the radiator.

For me it's a safety thing.

OK
Heres what I have so far. The screen brackets are bolted thro the body as normal. I then drilled up through the cowl, the screen brackets and into the frame. Threaded the frame and place a bolt from the bottom up thro the lot. Now we have 2 places of location.Next i welded a plate on the bracket that lies flat along the top of the body which has 3 screws through it down in to the thick part of the body.
Next I made up some slot in bars from the above flat plate and located then in to a triangular framework that will be glassed to the inside of the body. No sure if thats clear... pics may help.
screen brk 1.JPGscreen brk 2.JPGscreen brk 3.JPGscreen-bracket1.jpg
I am also going for a solid Top rather than a cloth one. Got plans on this which will work out to be very light.
gerry

OK
Heres what I have so far. The screen brackets are bolted thro the body as normal. I then drilled up through the cowl, the screen brackets and into the frame. Threaded the frame and place a bolt from the bottom up thro the lot. Now we have 2 places of location.Next i welded a plate on the bracket that lies flat along the top of the body which has 3 screws through it down in to the thick part of the body.
Next I made up some slot in bars from the above flat plate and located then in to a triangular framework that will be glassed to the inside of the body. No sure if thats clear... pics may help.
I am also going for a solid Top rather than a cloth one. Got plans on this which will work out to be very light.
gerry

A solid top would add conciderable support to the windshield, but the bracing you have doesn't seem to me to be doing very much as it sits now. Now if you were to place a gusset in the area between the original support casting and the plate you have on the top of the body............. that would help conciderably.

edit: oh and those cigs will kill you. throw them out as well.

Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back