Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

27 T build

TexasT

Hey guys, got a question. When everything thaws out here I was looking to start a new build. I was looking to build a 27 T for my wife and I was wondering which body you guys would choose (Spirit,Speedway,etc.)I really do like the look of the Spirit body. Any opinions?

Hey guys, got a question. When everything thaws out here I was looking to start a new build. I was looking to build a 27 T for my wife and I was wondering which body you guys would choose (Spirit,Speedway,etc.)I really do like the look of the Spirit body. Any opinions?

Sorry about the other post but I lost my connection. When I planned my build, I wanted a 27T. I looked at Spirit, Speedway, and Poliform. The reason that I chose Spirit was that I liked the 2 doors and the functioning trunk. If u build it right, there is enough room in the trunk for the gas tank, two chairs, some tools and a few cleaning supplies. Also, you can't beat Spirit for customer service,you can call anytime and ask questions, get help and they are all nice people.

Hey Ron, I sent u a text yesterday, where were u?

I've seen T-Rex's Spirit 27 and it is sweet! Here is a pic from Somerset KY last year:
DSCF0075.jpg

The Spirit '27 bodies seem pretty nice. I've seen a few finished now. Spirit wasn't making these bodies when I started my '27. I used a Poliform body. Pricier than Spirits, but they are really nice too. I like that it is stretched about 5" and its done so well that most do not realize it. The other nice thing with them is they offer different dashes, a roll pan, and other body parts. the other plus for Spirit is that if you don't want to build the frame, they can build you one to fit.

Dad has a Speedway '27 body. Its pretty nice too but does not have an operating trunk--his seat fold down for access. Here are a few pics--mine is the blue one, Dad's is red.

Bens27222.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

I've seen T-Rex's Spirit 27 and it is sweet! Here is a pic from Somerset KY last year:
DSCF0075.jpg

The Spirit '27 bodies seem pretty nice. I've seen a few finished now. Spirit wasn't making these bodies when I started my '27. I used a Poliform body. Pricier than Spirits, but they are really nice too. I like that it is stretched about 5" and its done so well that most do not realize it. The other nice thing with them is they offer different dashes, a roll pan, and other body parts. the other plus for Spirit is that if you don't want to build the frame, they can build you one to fit.

Dad has a Speedway '27 body. Its pretty nice too but does not have an operating trunk--his seat fold down for access. Here are a few pics--mine is the blue one, Dad's is red.

Bens27222.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

Bens27222.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg
Thanks Ben.
I have sat in Bens Poliform and it is much roomier that my Spirit.

Thanks Ben.
I have sat in Bens Poliform and it is much roomier that my Spirit.

One thing that does help is that my body is not channeled over the frame. Instead, I fabbed frame rail covers to hide the 2x3 frame members. You would be surprised what 3" difference in the floor makes!

hey Ben

I think Ive got to start calling you

The Peachy Pair

Said it before - gonna say it again

What a great pair.
Gerry

Hey you guys, Thanks for posting the photos. Real cool cars! I do have a question and I tried to study the photos. Are either of you running a '32 frame? Anyway, nice job, guys.

Hey you guys, Thanks for posting the photos. Real cool cars! I do have a question and I tried to study the photos. Are either of you running a '32 frame? Anyway, nice job, guys.

Both Dad and my '27's have 2x3 tube frames that are pinched in the front. They both have frame rail covers that cover up the frame and mine also tapers up toward the front. Similar to a '32 frame but not one. Here's a pic of the covers on the rolling frame:
Bens27158.jpg

Both Dad and my '27's have 2x3 tube frames that are pinched in the front. They both have frame rail covers that cover up the frame and mine also tapers up toward the front. Similar to a '32 frame but not one. Here's a pic of the covers on the rolling frame:
Bens27158.jpg

Nice stout frame Ben and the Salt Flat Wheels are to die for.

That is a very stout looking frame. I bet it helps a lot to make the steering and suspension more consistent.

Hi Ben, Looks like you guys did a real nice job on the chassis. I like the wider look on the '26 and 27's. Looks more like a '32 frame. Also, I like the frame much better tapered at the front. More work, but nicer job. Also, nothing looks better than a 6 inch dropped axle and sitting in the weeds. Thank you for your reply and photo. Neat stuff.

Hey, the next you fellows decide to post pictures of all three of those '27s in the same topic, could you at least offer us a little warning? I'd have put on a bib, had I known. Instead, I ended up drolling all over the front of my shirt. Sheesh...

It looks like just the covers are curved out wider, that gives a very clean look to the body when finished, very nice... I used to do that when I made a 32 frame for a 32 body, the frame rails were straight and the 32 rails were mounted with out-riggers to the correct size need for the body... :)

I have a soft spot for 27's with a turtle deck! When you build those cars with a cut down 32 rad. shell I think that they are some of the best looking rods ever!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back