Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

305 Chevy Bark

MichBucket

Hello All, I have read the four rules (1,1,1 and 1) and I apologize ahead of time if I screw this up.

I have recently acquired a 23 Tbucket with a 305 Chevy motor from the late 70s. It has a Holley 600CFM carb (L6R1B) and an Edelbrock Performer intake. When I picked the car up it was running and sounded normal. However, after getting it home it seems to have developed a periodic "bark" on the passenger bank. I have linked a short video. At seconds 1,3 and 7 you will hear it (you will probably have to run the video several times to hear it). I pulled the plugs and they all look good and I ensured the wires were seated. Before going overboard in diagnostics I wanted to do a quick ask and see if it was familiar to anyone.

Many Thanks

Tom

305 Bark

How long did it sit? Sounds like it's finding puddles of unburned or adding fuel. I would change oil and add octagon booster and new real gas and drive easy for a while. May add carb and valve too. Good sounding and looking ride. Welcome to the group.

Thanks Old Round...good suggestions to pursue. As for sitting...not sure.

How long did it sit? Sounds like it's finding puddles of unburned or adding fuel. I would change oil and add octagon booster and new real gas and drive easy for a while. May add carb and valve too. Good sounding and looking ride. Welcome to the group.

I agree with Old Round Fart. Sounds like too much fuel. I would look down in the ventrua and see if fuel is dripping from the boosters. Easy to check fuel level and ethanol gas that sits in a humid climate goes bad very quickly. IMO the idle is a little high, which might be needed to deal with what cam you have. Nice Ride!

I agree with Old Round Fart. Sounds like too much fuel. I would look down in the ventrua and see if fuel is dripping from the boosters. Easy to check fuel level and ethanol gas that sits in a humid climate goes bad very quickly. IMO the idle is a little high, which might be needed to deal with what cam you have. Nice Ride!
Thanks Railroad!

Try isolating a particular cylinder by pulling a plug wire one at a time (with proper pliers) wires could be laying on each other and wearing a small hole causing a cross fire. I.M.O.

Well folks, today was a splendid day here in Michigan and it looks like we have a couple more in store. So, had the bucket out and was going through it. Fired it up and of course the bark or "pop",as I am now calling it, happened immediately. I wasn't detecting anything else unusual with the motor so I decided to let it get fully warmed up. Initially it popped a lot (just right bank and coming from the exhaust). The warmer it got, the father between and fewer pops occurred. Just a quick update as I trouble shoot this...ahem, anomaly. Oh, and had to laugh...no sooner than I fired her up when I heard other toys in surrounding neighborhoods being started. Come on spring!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back