Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

327 carbs

Chief-T

On a mid 60s chevy 327 w/ 2-4 bbl carbs, what type and size were the carbs???

Chief-T said:
On a mid 60s chevy 327 w/ 2-4 bbl carbs, what type and size were the carbs???

I don't think there were any factory dual quad 327 engines from Chevrolet. You talking aftermarket carbs and intake??

Bob

I believe the 65-67 impala could be had with a 327 dual quad.

Really? I always thought the 283/ 270 hp was the last of the small block 2 x 4 setups, except for the cross ram on the Z28's in the late 60's or early 70's.

I've maid mistaks beforr thow, just kan't remambur the lass tim.:eek::lol::)

Don

The chevy carb parts catalog shows 2-4s on the 283 and 327. Lists Holley 4160 but doesn't give CFM. That's what I would like to know.

Chief-T said:
I believe the 65-67 impala could be had with a 327 dual quad.

No, from the introduction of the 327 in '62 it was available in a variety of single 4 barrel hp options, but no dual quads. The top rated 327 was the '65 Corvette 327 with Rochester fuel injection rated at 375 HP. The top rated carbed 327 was the 350 HP L79 which used a single Holley on an aluminum high rise intake. Dual quads were available on the 409, but that's a different animal.

Bob

Chief-T said:
The chevy carb parts catalog shows 2-4s on the 283 and 327. Lists Holley 4160 but doesn't give CFM. That's what I would like to know.

The dual quad 283 used Carter WCFB carbs. They were rated for about 385 CFM.

Bob

It's possible Chevy offered some 2 x 4 setup through their off road program, kind of as an add on thing, but for the life of me I never remember seeing any Chevy cars that came with that setup. I would almost bet good money that no one can produce a picture of a car that rolled off the assembly line with a 327 with anything but a single 4 (except for the vette injection)

I guess the question is, do you own this 2 x 4 setup or are you just asking about something you have heard about? If you own it, shoot some pictures, especially of any numbers stamped on it.

I grew up right in that era and pretty much knew every combo that the big three was offering, and I simply can't say I ever saw this setup.

Don

donsrods said:
I would almost bet good money that no one can produce a picture of a car that rolled off the assembly line with a 327 with anything but a single 4 (except for the vette injection)

I won't take you up on that bet but from 1967 to 1969 GM offered a 210hp 327 with a 2bbl carb. Chevrolet 1967 General Specs, The only multi-carb options shown at this site were 3 x 2 on the 348 and 2 x 4 on the 409 between 1960 and 1964.

Thanks for the info guys. I was curious about a setup I heard about but like ya'll had never seen.

That's right Steve. I've peered under the hoods of lots of Chevys and have never seen a stock dual quad 327. Around this time GM was starting to ban their divisions from using multiple carb setups with a few exceptions like the 427 Vettes. That is why the 66 442 was the last of the tripowers and why only the big blocks could be had with trips too. I also think there would be a clearance problem trying to get two Holleys on a small block, unless turned sideways. I could be wrong on that last point though.

To get back to your original question Chief T, what is the reason you are asking? Are you interested in one, have one, etc?

Don

Chevy did produce a cross ram for the Z28 302 motor, it was available as an option from the chevy dealer.

I've been looking through my 302 & 327 Engine book from Hot Rod (1992) and the early 210 and 265 HP 327s used a small Carter carburetor, the 300, 350, and 365 HP 327s used a big Holley, and the 375HP 327 was Fuel Injected.

Duntov used an 800 CFM Holley on his 302 engines for road racing.

The later years Chev switched from Carter and Holley carbs to Rochester 2GV on the low HP engines and Q-Jets on the higher HP engines.

Also don't forget, for a short while you could find a 327 under the hood of a Jeep.

Cheif-T (Dad) that motor you have should run fine with that Edelbrock dual quad set-up with a progressive linkage. You CR is going to be kinda high with those 461 camel hump heads so you'll need to run premium fuel. I can't wait to hear that thing run. :)

I think a couple of AFBs or Edelbrocks will fit a small block okay but Holleys have to mount sideways or at a pretty radical angle. A couple of friends of mine ran a Camaro with a small block and tunnel ram with a pair of Holley 600 center squirters back in the 70s. They had to mount them sideways. It didn't effect how hard the car ran but the bell crank linkage could be a pain to set up sometimes if things got out of adjustment.
The reason I checked out the 327 specs was that I have a firend who had a sweet 62 Chevy Impala 2dr hardtop with a small block and 2bbl. I thought he had a 327 in it but evidently it was a 283. I say he had the Impala because a few years ago while he and his wife were out of town the garage caught fire and burned the Chevy to the ground.

donsrods said:
That's right Steve. I've peered under the hoods of lots of Chevys and have never seen a stock dual quad 327. Around this time GM was starting to ban their divisions from using multiple carb setups with a few exceptions like the 427 Vettes. That is why the 66 442 was the last of the tripowers and why only the big blocks could be had with trips too. I also think there would be a clearance problem trying to get two Holleys on a small block, unless turned sideways. I could be wrong on that last point though.

To get back to your original question Chief T, what is the reason you are asking? Are you interested in one, have one, etc?

Don

I've built a 327 with dual 450 quads I think I can get to run well and I was looking for re-enforcement. My block is a 010 w/4 bolt mains line bored and decked ;bored .30 over. New 327 crank,rods & pistons. Cam is Lunati 60103LK. Heads are camel hump from a "65 F/I vette w/lrg valves; 2.02/1.60. Roller rockers. Est C/R is 10.7. Intake is Edelbrock RPM air gap. Ign is converted HEI w/MSD box. Am still about 6 wks from fire-up. Think it'll make 360 bhp???? :razz: or flop :eek:.

With the 2X4 system..............your carb cfm needs to be small for street use.
For Autocross/ roadracing......your not gonna drop your rpm below 6500 in the corners.............so bigger carbs not an issue.......
Drags.......your gonnabe leaving the line about 3800 to 4500 and your gonna bang the gears @ 8000+ if your in competition....

The ole 327 2x4's were mostly Carters......AFB's. Holley, Carter, and the others make small cfm carbs that would work.....
Though you'd have to do some replumbing....you could go with some other makes......they would look unique, different, work just as well or better.........just because its got a different name........don't be scared of them..........

Now.....if your into the old school nostalgia thing......thats a different story! Ha!

bobscogin said:
The dual quad 283 used Carter WCFB carbs. They were rated for about 385 CFM.

Bob

They were in the 300 -400 cfm range...........

Not to argue over numbers but the highest HP FACTORY normally aspirated 327 was a 1965 327; I think the block is an HG code. It had the solid lifter cam, aluminum intake, 2.02/1.60 valve 'camel hump' heads and a holley carb. Essentially it was the 1965 fuelie 327 with an aluminum intake and a holley carb.

How do I know? My dad has one in his 55 chevy and the corvette guys go NUTS because he rebuilt it with flat tops, a hydraulic cam and a reman edelbrock carb. Why? Well it may not zing to 8k anymore BUT its WAY more fun to drive off the line and the comp cams 262-H cam is fantastic in that combo and the edelbrock is bulletproof

Oh the motor was in an ermine white 65 vette with an M21 close ratio, mid range gears, transistorized ignition and a red interior. My dads friend wrecked the vette in 1972 so Dad got the motor trans and bellhousing. He sold off the aluminum bellhousing for an Ansen, and swapped the factory aluminum intake for some old Offy junk...ugh LOL

Sounds like a great motor. I really like 327's. Buddy of mine bought a 340 hp vette in 64 and I have fond memories of us racing a fuelie vette down the Schuykill Expressway in Philadelphia with him and me and two girls jammed into his vette. :hijacked: The fuelie didn't outrun his vette, we were pretty much neck and neck. I can still hear the sounds of those two 327's winding out.:toast: Those were good times.

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back