Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A bad start to the new season

I find it amazing that a nitro fueled bomb goes off right in his face and he still has reflexes enough to keep the car under control. Looks like his bell got rung pretty good, too. Simply amazing. I guess that's why there are only a handful of people in the world that do what they do. Glad he wasn't hurt.

I'll bet he had to change his shorts after that ride!

Jim

There has been so many back fires the last couple of years sending those flopper shells sky high. I thought NHRA stepped in last year to get that under control with changes to the way they were to be held in place? Anyways I'm glad Capps didn't try to out do Kalitta.

I thought NHRA stepped in last year to get that under control with changes to the way they were to be held in place?
They did, by instituting the tethers. And see how <cough> well they work? The front half of that body didn't go anywhere, did it? :rolleyes:

Speaking of the Kalitta team, they are playing with a new burst panel configuration. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

patron001.jpg

Remember when the nitro cars ran the full quarter-mile? They would all blow up, between 1,000 and 1,200 feet. NHRA says it will make the sport safer if they shorten the distance to 1,000 feet, so now, they all blow up at the 900-foot mark. I won't argue that some of the tracks were simply too short for the kinds of speeds the cars were running, but cutting 320 feet off the length of the racing surface hasn't prevented much in the way of explosions.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back