Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A mock up frame...WWYD

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
When I was planning on commissioning my frame next summer, I was planning on doing some kind of wood mock up of the frame this summer. Now it looking like I'll be able to have the frame built some time this year...possibly soon. Also on my plate for this spring/early-summer is building a trailer for my power chair. Given all that, and the fact that I've worked up the whole car in considerable detail in my CAD program, should I put off having the frame built until I can do a wood mock up?

Considering what cooter is going through with the unknowns of building a frame without first having the body to make sure of dimensions, it sounds like a good idea to do the mockup and then set the body on it and see how it looks. That's my vote. One issue would be what to make it from. A wooden 2 x 4 is
1-1/2" x 3-1/2" . You are most likely going to make your frame from 1-1/2" x 3" or 2" x 3" tubing. If you ripped the 2 x 4's down to 3 inches that might be good enough or you could laminate a piece of 1/2" plywood to the side of the 2 x 4's. or ..............................

Considering what cooter is going through with the unknowns of building a frame without first having the body to make sure of dimensions, it sounds like a good idea to do the mockup and then set the body on it and see how it looks. That's my vote. One issue would be what to make it from. A wooden 2 x 4 is
1-1/2" x 3-1/2" . You are most likely going to make your frame from 1-1/2" x 3" or 2" x 3" tubing. If you ripped the 2 x 4's down to 3 inches that might be good enough or you could laminate a piece of 1/2" plywood to the side of the 2 x 4's. or ..............................

Well, I already have the body, engine, transmission, rear end, and probably 90% of the suspension here...and all their dimensions modeled in the CAD model. Also, the body I have has already been channeled for a wider, shorter height kick up, and larger transmission cut out than the frame I will be getting...so there will be no issue there. Also, the little V6 motor I'll be using is a lot smaller than the V8s that typically fits between the rails. Without making wood replicas of suspension bracketry, I'm thinking there's not a lot to be discovered with just mocking up the frame rails <shrug>

For the mock up I planned on just using 2x4s ripped to 3" width, and adding scraps of 1/2" ply where there would be any possible issues.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back