Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Baby Huey's Build Pics.....

chopper tom said:
man that thing looks sweet ! did you have to make the wheel base much longer than useual?

I can't recall offhand what the wheelbase is ( 112 inches)....I just rolled a set of tires up to the body and put a mark on the side with a piece of masking tape and thats the center of the rear axle....What ever looked good at the time. I'll try to measure the W/B today...
The frame was built to the CCR planset, with the exception of the front cross member, I simply "fishmouthed" the end of the mainrails with a hole saw and inserted the Pipe (yes, it's black pipe) and welded it in and took the pieces from the ends of the rails and used em to close the ends of the pipe...
I did have to make the rear top "kick" pieces a little longer to fit to the rear of the new style deck. The original plans were drawn in the early 70's and didn't take into account the new "Sport Deck"...
Other than that all pieces of the frame are cut to the specs in the CCR build book.... "BH"

Edit: Wheel Base is 112 inches.....

I just looked at the pics on the first post.....Where did all those "extra" pics come from ?????? I sure don't recall posting em....The steering,the front wheel, Strange gremlins at work here....."BH":eek:

Baby Huey said:
I just looked at the pics on the first post.....Where did all those "extra" pics come from ?????? I sure don't recall posting em....The steering,the front wheel, Strange gremlins at work here....."BH":eek:

Better go back to Fish Sticks... your memory was better then! :eek:

LumenAl said:
Better go back to Fish Sticks... your memory was better then! :eek:

Well.....you may be right Al, I'll have to do a short term study to be sure...Ok, for the next week, no burgers/fries/shakes, just do Fish Sticks instead. Now the question is ......COD or Halibut?..... :confused: "BH"

Ha Ha Ha, I don't know about the fish sticks, but I have the same problem with memory. I sturggle with finding files that I know are on the computer, but forgot what I named them.
I always get a kick out of your posts. You memory may not be as good as it used to be but your fabrication skills haven't deminished at all. I've seen several of your posts and comments from the NTBA and have admired your engineering and fabrication skills for a while.
Keep up the good work

Hank

Yeah...what Hank said in spades!!

Ron

I like the sport deck on the rear of your T Baby Huey. What body are you running? I'm wondering if it would fit a Spirit body without too much glass work and that it would line up with the wheel base of the Spirit frame. Seems that with that sport deck you need the centerline of the axle perfectly centered with the centerline of the sport deck. If you have any more pics of the rear and would be willing to send, I would be appreciative. sstock6264@comcast.net.
Thanks from western washington.

Steve

sstock said:
I like the sport deck on the rear of your T Baby Huey. What body are you running? I'm wondering if it would fit a Spirit body without too much glass work and that it would line up with the wheel base of the Spirit frame. Seems that with that sport deck you need the centerline of the axle perfectly centered with the centerline of the sport deck. If you have any more pics of the rear and would be willing to send, I would be appreciative. sstock6264@comcast.net.

Steve

Steve, Let me dig around and see what I have for pictures....I had to extend the top rail of the rear "Kick" a few inches from the CCR plan book. It would have fit fine as it was, except the rear cross member would have been under the deck right in the way of the rear axle.. So I moved it back to the very REAR of the bottom of the deck.
I gotta get out in the shop and do somethin this week, it's been too dang long from the project...
My problem now is...I installed the fuel Cell from the front, thru the access hole. (It wouldn't fit thru the trunk door hole), and as I did this I didn't pay attention to the fact that there was a slight curvature in the face of the deck to match the rear of the body tub. So the dang upper edge of the fuel cell sticks out very slightly, but enough to hit the tub....:eek: So, I thought no big deal, I'll just cut a little "window" out of the rear of the tub to match the edge of the fuel cell....only needs to be about 1/2" X the width of the cell... Ok, that'll work, no body will see it....:confused:
Next problem...There are a million bolts holding the deck to the body tub, the fuel cell is installed, only goes in from the FRONT...No way to get at the nuts or bolts to put the two pieces back together...!! :eek::eek::eek:
So the other day I was sitting in my "thinkin chair" and lookin at it...(bout all I do....) And I thought, WHY bolt em together ? Bolt the deck to the frame thru the bottom, bolt the body to the frame, done deal, the two should be close enough together to not see the open bolt holes, and it's dang sure not goin anywhere....
See what happens.....ya get me all excited and thinkin again...:cool: I'll see what I can do about picures...
"BH" PS: Body and "Sport Deck" are CCR......

sstock said:

Steve

Steve, I have posted pics and a crude drawing in the "Bodies" part of the Forum....
"BH"

Thanks for taking the time BH. It has cleared up a bunch of questions. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words, this is the case. Your plans and measurements are money. I went back and reread the entire thread. I have to comment though on the incredible frame you are building, very very stout and one really nice safety factor of the DS loop incorporated in a very rigid frame.
Question for you: With the sport deck bolted to the frame as well as the CCR long body, will you then glass the two together???

Steve

sstock said:
Thanks for taking the time BH. It has cleared up a bunch of questions. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words, this is the case. Your plans and measurements are money. I went back and reread the entire thread. I have to comment though on the incredible frame you are building, very very stout and one really nice safety factor of the DS loop incorporated in a very rigid frame.
Question for you: With the sport deck bolted to the frame as well as the CCR long body, will you then glass the two together???

Steve

Steve, my car is crude enough as it is without me getting involved with Fiberglass resin ! :welcome:
With the fuel cell inplace, I cannot get at the bolts that hold the deck to the body on one side. So I plan to simply bolt the deck to the frame, set the body as close as I can get it and bolt the body to the frame, leave well enough alone.. Thats the plan anyway, we'll see what happens...
No, no dirt track plans either, but I am gonna build a wrap around nerf bar for a rear bumper. Prolly 1 1/2" blk pipe or 2" . Thats what the 4 1/2" taped holes are for on the side of the rear rails.... "BH"

Baby Huey said:
...With the fuel cell inplace, I cannot get at the bolts that hold the deck to the body on one side...

BH, just a thought, but couldn't you attach a "frame" to the backside of the bolt holes, then drill and tap it so you would just set the rear deck in place and bolt it to the body from the body side? Man I hope this makes sense... it's clear as a bell in my head!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back