Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Batteries and the elements

Keeper

Okay I have a plan for mounting my battery. I am using an Oddessy battery, that will fit nicely between my frame supports.

The plan is to mount it between the two parallel cross members on its side.

1%20apr%202011%20002.JPG_595.jpg

The questions I have are:

1. Should I be worried about the battery terminals getting wet?
2. How much protection is needed? The battery is small enough that you will not see it from the side as the frame will cover it.

I was thinking of making a tray out of some 10/12 gauge steel. With a frame of 1x1 angle. The design will not allow the battery to slide toward the frame and shorting things out. Anything else I should worry about?

Okay I have a plan for mounting my battery. I am using an Oddessy battery, that will fit nicely between my frame supports.

The plan is to mount it between the two parallel cross members on its side.

1%20apr%202011%20002.JPG_595.jpg

The questions I have are:

1. Should I be worried about the battery terminals getting wet?
2. How much protection is needed? The battery is small enough that you will not see it from the side as the frame will cover it.

I was thinking of making a tray out of some 10/12 gauge steel. With a frame of 1x1 angle. The design will not allow the battery to slide toward the frame and shorting things out. Anything else I should worry about?
Making it on it's side will give a prob for any one or you if ever ya need to replace it at some point were there is no bat that can do that near by,I'd go for a normel mount.

I sure hate to rain on your parade in this stage of your build, but those rear radius rods will not work with the front pivots at that angle, they need to run the same as the main Jag control arms, straight forward, as long as you are leaving the third member solid mounted to the frame... If you leave the radius rods that way, the up and down motion will twist the rod and will loosen the connection at the forward end, could also break at the threads, that is not the way it will pivot correctly... at least that is not that hard to change now... :) Much better now than later... :)

I sure hate to rain on your parade in this stage of your build, but those rear radius rods will not work with the front pivots at that angle, they need to run the same as the main Jag control arms, straight forward, as long as you are leaving the third member solid mounted to the frame... If you leave the radius rods that way, the up and down motion will twist the rod and will loosen the connection at the forward end, could also break at the threads, that is not the way it will pivot correctly... at least that is not that hard to change now... :) Much better now than later... :)

And JM2CW the trail arms are too small in section. The load on these arms is compression on acceleration. As Ted says, easy to fix now, major bugbear later.

The radius rods, as designed, will bend more at the bend and will likely break the forward attach points as they twist the forward mount brackets. Good design practice dictates that load members experiencing axial loads be straight in their design. Any bend will concentrate the buckling moments. The thin rods you've used will bend easily during acceleration. As they bend, they will also induce a twisting force at the forward attach points. With the current condition, you will probably destroy your suspension upon the first decent acceleration. When that happens, no telling what might follow. You're entire car might get destroyed and....perhaps you too. Heed the advice of those here who have been building these cars for a long time and the advice of us who are professional engineers that design things for a living.

Making it on it's side will give a prob for any one or you if ever ya need to replace it at some point were there is no bat that can do that near by,I'd go for a normel mount.

Its a dry cell battery that can be mounted any way except upside down.

As for the radius rods.....I will make another post on this and we can hash it out.....

I have my battery on the side strapped to the 16 ga floor under the passenger seat.

Hey Keeper, The battery should be fine under the car. Maybe just spray a little battery terminal protector on it. Other than that, just run it.

This has been a concern of mine for you guys running the Odessey battery. What happens when you are in Elephant Breath Montana, and that battery goes south? You can't get a replacement that will fit in that space locally, so you may be hanging behind a tow truck for a while, or sitting in a motel while UPS tries to find you. Other than that, they sound great! Just a concern I have...

CB

But, But, But they claim to last 10 years, besides that, waiting a day or two sounds like a rest stop to me.

Good 'nuff Tom, you've got it coverred! HA! Great build! Thanks for all the posts and pictures, they are very encouraging to all of us!

CB

After I got my Alternator wired to work my Odessey battery has worked flawlessly, yes it has not been in operation long and the 100 amp alt really helps. Before I found the lights would take a toll on it during wiring. I set everything but the emergency flashers to need the engine running while operating and I may put some triangles in the bucket to assist with not needing them either.

What happens when you are in Elephant Breath Montana, and that battery goes south?
Pollyanna's Bait Shop, Hair Salon, Tire Center and Airport is located at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk, there in Elephant's Breath. They stock the complete line of Odyssey batteries.

I'm with Corley on this one. While the Odyssey batteries do look to be the hot lick, you can buy a Group 24 battery nearly anywhere. I would at least provide the means of getting a standard battery into the car, just in case You're there in Elephant Breath and Pollyanna is closed for the week to go watch the hoot owls doing the unthinkable to the chickens.

The again, Murphy spends so much time with me that the rest of you might have a lot better luck.

Pollyanna's Bait Shop, Hair Salon, Tire Center and Airport is located at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk, there in Elephant's Breath. They stock the complete line of Odyssey batteries.

I'm with Corley on this one. While the Odyssey batteries do look to be the hot lick, you can buy a Group 24 battery nearly anywhere. I would at least provide the means of getting a standard battery into the car, just in case You're there in Elephant Breath and Pollyanna is closed for the week to go watch the hoot owls doing the unthinkable to the chickens.

The again, Murphy spends so much time with me that the rest of you might have a lot better luck.
Two 4 foot battery cables and a used battery setting on the pasenger floor will get you home . been there done that. Dwight

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back