Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Battery Location?

I use a Duralast gold series from autozone. Great battery. Pain in the arse to install and FORGET being able to jump or charge it. The hack I bought it from never took that into consideration when he mounted the box underneath to the left of the driveshaft knuckle. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra time mounting it in an accessible position. Think of the poor guy who is going to have to work on it. Good luck

I use a Duralast gold series from autozone. Great battery. Pain in the arse to install and FORGET being able to jump or charge it. The hack I bought it from never took that into consideration when he mounted the box underneath to the left of the driveshaft knuckle. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra time mounting it in an accessible position. Think of the poor guy who is going to have to work on it. Good luck
Yes, that's why I mounted it there. I can easily access it from under the car. Not as convenient as having it in the engine compartment like a normal car, but it's better than installing a trap door in the floor of the body...

I guess I confused the issue, let me try again. The big cable on the starter goes directly to the battery. Hooking the charger to the starter is electrically the same as hooking to the battery. Now hooking the negative lead on the charger to any part of the chassis or motor (assuming the motor is properly grounded) is electrically the same as the negative post on the battery. Now you can charge the battery without standing on your ear to get access to your battery. Hope that helps. John

I guess I confused the issue, let me try again. The big cable on the starter goes directly to the battery. Hooking the charger to the starter is electrically the same as hooking to the battery. Now hooking the negative lead on the charger to any part of the chassis or motor (assuming the motor is properly grounded) is electrically the same as the negative post on the battery. Now you can charge the battery without standing on your ear to get access to your battery. Hope that helps. John
That works fine on Chevy's, but not on some other makes, were the is a separate solenoid. Fords a Mopars, have solenoid not on the starter.

Solenoid on the fender is even easier to get to. Use a test light to see which one goes to the battery and clamp charger to that and continue!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back