Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big redo of the old bucket

Has anyone noticed how many Tesla's that have "exploded" lately???

Now the Fed Government is investigating Teslas autopilot system as it seems to run into a lot of emergency vehicles and construction zones...

The optimum angle for a solar panel is the same as one's latitude. Here in MSP we are smack on latitude 45° so my panel and lid will tilt up to that when the car is sitting, then close when the car is turned on. Testing for angle:
P1040683.JPG

But actually since the car will be used in the summer a better angle would be 30°. The sun is higher in the summer, lower in the winter, and 45° would be a compromise for fixed panels year-round.

Last edited:
But actually since the car will be used in the summer a better angle would be 30°. The sun is higher in the summer, lower in the winter, and 45° would be a compromise for fixed panels year-round.

Why couldn't you incorporate one of the smart chips, like the ones used in commercial lighting systems that take into account the increase/decrease in daylight hours. No compromise needed!

Out of the paint! You know how when you're 1/2 way thru a project and there are pieces everywhere and a list of dozens of things to do and you begin to wonder if it will all happen before you expire? You don't? Well, aren't you special. Here's the bed lid freshly painted:
P1040692.JPG
That is the underside of the lid, done in Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating, which is uber-tough and hides all my mistakes.
But what are all those holes? Remember a solar panel goes on the other side of the lid. Guess if you dare.

NO, that can't be it .... I think he is adding more flux capacitors !

Out of the paint! You know how when you're 1/2 way thru a project and there are pieces everywhere and a list of dozens of things to do and you begin to wonder if it will all happen before you expire? You don't? Well, aren't you special. Here's the bed lid freshly painted:
View attachment 21666
That is the underside of the lid, done in Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating, which is uber-tough and hides all my mistakes.
But what are all those holes? Remember a solar panel goes on the other side of the lid. Guess if you dare.

Support rods to adjust the angle?

I know . . . those holes are for the little cooling fans that keep the solar panel nice and comfy.
Spanky is close. Solar panels do get hot and some ventilation is nice. Others care to try?
Support rods to adjust the angle?
There are two linear actuators which raise the lid/panel to 45° when parked. Then close when key on. Anticipate video to thrill you.

There has to been wiring between each panel ?

Hard part done. Solar panel, bed lid and hinge mated, and wired assy attached to bed:
SEPT 9_2.JPG
Those 5 screened holes are outlet vents for the solar panel, which gets hot in operation. Centered below is a muffin fan to blow air beneath panel. And above the fan is a volt/amp display:
SEPT 9_3.JPG
...putting out 18.5 volts no load. Once wired to it's controller and the battery we'll see how much juice we get. The panel is rated at 100 watts, so we might see 7 or 8 amps in full sunlight. But the controller will limit it to whatever the battery needs to charge plus any other loads.
SEPT 9_1.JPG

Attachments

• panel on bed.jpg
    panel on bed.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 5

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back