Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big redo of the old bucket

I have to keep a magnet handy now on just plain concrete... of course the part always ends up under something or anywhere except where it should have landed. I’m sure it’s just a phase and will improve with age, right?

Normally I would use grommets but with the movement I wanted the cables secured and weatherproof. I found this little wonders: glands

I just had these delivered. Very nice, and a great price.

What's really great about these are the smaller ones. They don't just rely on the 1/2", 3/4" or 1" sizes of electrical knockout holes.

Day 42 (or so it seems): clear coated:
clear coated'.JPG
If you contemplate such a project, figure out where your cars will go for several weeks, and where all your garage stuff will go:
parking.JPG
It's been a job, but Sunday night we can put the cars in, and then start unloading the Pod Monday. It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings (no, not my wife! You will forget I said anything!)

Hopefully the floor isn't too "slippery when wet" I knew of a dealership that wanted smooth shiny floors, when the floors got wet, the cars would be sliding/ skidding into everything. The floor guys said they had to go back and roughing up the floor.

Hopefully the floor isn't too "slippery when wet" I knew of a dealership that wanted smooth shiny floors, when the floors got wet, the cars would be sliding/ skidding into everything. The floor guys said they had to go back and roughing up the floor.
Our company offered 3 levels of roughness. Level 1 was used on the floor and level 2 on the steps. Level 3 is too rough for bare feet!

If you don't mind, what do you think the total cost would be with the pod to get the floor done (minus the shelving) ?

What size pod ?

The floor was $4500 for the "Platinum" level. The company has 5 or 6 levels, but they don't vary much costwise. The Pod was about $300 for a 1 month minimum. We rented that separately, but the floor company has them too. Not sure what the size is, maybe 8 by 10.

Not cheap, but looks really awesome!! I'd feel guilty letting anything spill/ drip (oil, paint, etc) on the floor. I'd be in deep trouble. I have a Model A Ford the drips anything that can drip. It has mechanical brakes. If they were hydraulic, they'd probably drip, too!!

I wanted to go with an epoxy floor covering in my shop when it was built, but the finish of the building forced me to move all my stuff out of storage and put it in the shop immediately to save a big hunk of storage building rent.
Now having worked in the shop for over a year I think I should have had some of the floor done around my tools and desk area but nothing done in my Fab area. I set and look at all the little black zip marks left by welding and grinding on my bare concrete floor, I think I would get sick if I had done all that burning on an epoxy coat floor at the cost. I like the look and feel of a nice coated floor but I am always welding or cutting in my Fab area and if I did very much of that on a coated floor it would be destroyed by now....

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the new floor. Time will tell how bad (or good) it holds up with use.

I put a concrete stain on my floor years ago and had no problems. It sealed the floor, made it easy to sweep up and oils and brake fluid didn’t affect it and it was cheap and easy. Got it a Sherwin Williams paint store.

OK, back to the solar panel. Hooked up the charge controller, and ran test wiring to the panel:
test wire 1.JPG
Here's the underside of the bed lid, with a display of the panel's volts and amps, and the cooling fan:
test wire 4.JPG
...and the Bluetoothed display on my phone:
test wire 5.JPG
It shows the output of the panel, the status of the car battery, and the "load," which is the fan. I can turn the fan off and on from the phone.
Note the charge power is only 1 watt because the panel is in the shade right now. When the sun hits the panel the power will increase.
Gotta give a shout-out to these little wonders: heat shrink solder connectors. I use them everywhere. No solder iron, no crimping, just hit 'em with the heat gun and you have a solid waterproof connection.

Last edited:
The bear emerges from his long hibernation. Yesterday was the vernal equinox, the beginning of Spring, when the squirrels and rabbits scamper aplenty and the hot rods roar to life after 6 months comatose. I, the Bear, have awakened and am prepping the bucket for a long Summer of cruises and shows and general delirium.

steering shaft.JPG

This is the steering shaft that runs from the steering column to the rack and pinion. The left end has the double U-joint for the column and a new Borgeson support. The right end has a custom support with a nylon bushing and splines that mate to the rack and pinion. These supports should eliminate any monkey motion. Now my bucket will handle just like my Bugatti Chiron (in my dreams).

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back